Oh great... is this true? (registration)

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-will-require-drones-be-registered-n446266

Please tell me this is clickbait. If the DOT has their fingers in this... good grief.

From Wired:

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/fed-drone-registration/

NBC News is reporting that the federal government will soon announce new requirements for drones, the most severe of which is that consumer drones will need to be registered with the Department of Transportation.

We should expect the new regulations to be made public Monday

I really hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. If it is there's going to be a big backlash...

Old Man

How do they establish their ability to register an air vehicle that does not have a hull number or an assured discrete and traceable FC serial number?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
and with the FC serial numbers we also have to ask about those of us that break down and rebuild/reconfigure our equipment over and over.

i wonder if other pure recreational RC vehicles will also be included in this

econfly

Registration precedes confiscation.

What problem would this solve? Is there even an example of a captured / retrieved "drone" that couldn't be traced to an owner due to lack of registration? Or, far more likely, is this just one more government power grab leveraging senseless public fear in order to build bureaucratic careers?

Old Man

First comes the registrations
Next comes the inspections at the area FSDO offices
Where you get notified of the new requirements for operators manuals
After that comes the mandatory log books, operator and airframe
Then comes the maintenance requirements and additional record keeping
Then comes the minimum equipment lists
Then comes airframe certification complying standards set forth by FAA Pathfinder groups (those DO exist)
Then comes grounding of all air vehicles that do not comply with standards and minimum equipment lists.
Then comes mandatory safety program training and reporting requirements
Somewhere in all this comes mandatory incident reporting. You crash, you report.
Soon the only people flying will be those flying heavy corporate products running half a million $$ a pop and upwards
And then the FAA, corporate aerospace, and LEA's will have all the air space they've been selling and buying for the past several years.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Wow, this is a real conspiracy thread already. Well I think registration is not a matter of if but when- they are probably going to implement it in Europe too. It will only be a bad thing if implemented badly but done well it could be what the industry needs because we must have acceptance by the general public if we are to have a future. Registration if nothing else creates accountability. Our biggest issue in UK regarding enforcement is tracking down those that break the law. Registration done well wont guarantee traceability but it will help. More importantly it will make the dumb idiots that like to fly over airports and the like think twice before doing it for fun. Of course it wont stop the determined but it only has to work once and it has been worth it. So what negatives does it cause to me? Cant think of one rational thing apart from perhaps a small fee (if implemented well which I will re-iterate again!).

So what would well implemented look like? Well here is a thought:

Guy walks into a shop or orders drone online.
Takes drone home and it doesnt start
Now he actually gets the manual out to see what might be wrong at the same time as realizing their battery is not actually charged.
Sees that in order to work it needs plugging into a computer.
Puts battery on charge and plugs in FC to computer
Computer asks for name and address (registration we do each and every time we buy something on line so hardly and issue I would have thought)
This is the important bit, the registration website now has the chance to educate the user on what the basic rules are and safe use. At this stage the battery may be 30% charged.
Spends 10 minutes going through the educational piece (this is my opinion is one of the biggest issues with those doing dumb things- just ignorance, so this helps mitigate the ignorance)
Battery now nearly charged
Registration is complete and an enabling code is sent to FC.
Waits for battery to complete charging.
Data base now has a name and address and confirmation that the user is educated to a basic level.
Goes and flies.
Decides to sell drone after some great times.
De-registers
FC is now inoperative until it is reactivated with new owners details.
Repeat.

This need only be applied to drones that can present a real threat to other air users or the public. Lets say anything over 250 class or maybe anything over a kg or something like that.

Now I realise I have probably just lit the blue touch paper but I just cant see any real harm this would do but I can see what good this would do. So, my chest is now open and waiting for the tirade of verbal bullets to hit it!

econfly

I'll put it this way: Name something government does well, where the outcome is measurable, and where unintended consequences, excessive bureaucracy, or poorly managed costs are not present.

Registration is a classic useless government activity that does nothing but burden the commoner with fees and hassle. When the next "drone" crisis follows the government response will be obvious: registration will be deemed "not enough", and hence we will need even more regulatory control.

The parallels to other government regulatory efforts (particularly here in the U.S.) are obvious. Just for example, look at Chicago's efforts to address violence. With great regularity, residents shoot each other, and with commensurate regularity the politicians demand even more control and regulations. When faced with failure to stop the problem, they just redirect the conversation to a desire for less freedom. Ultimately, however, the problem is the behavior of a few, and apart from a complete police state (if that), nothing will stop violence that is driven by culture and choice (and not the presence of a tool to enact that violence).

Here, we have a few idiots flying around airports or otherwise presenting a theoretical risk (I don't know of a single example of any drone actually causing harm to manned aircraft). There will always be a few idiots out there and no amount of regulation will change that. What the regulation will change, however, is the ability of non-idiots to enjoy the hobby or commercial use of this new technology.

To be clear, I expect no material safety impact from a registration requirement, but that it rather will just be a stepping stone to further government control with the primary result being a burden on sensible users.

Old Man

Consider the FAA has several working groups laying out the rules, processes, and procedures sUAS will function with in the NAS. Consider that some aerospace giants have their CEO's as the "chair" of those working groups. Next consider the FAA is using the findings and experience generated by industry "Pathfinders" as data and process collection sources for writing rules and requirements, and each of those "Pathfinders" is either corporate aerospace, or FAA certified avionics firms, or national testing/certification labs. The two outfits operating sUAS under FAA authority in Alaska are both members of those working groups. After looking into all that the path forward for us should be obvious. We don't have one because we cannot afford to play by those rules.

Do I think there's a conspiracy? Absolutely. When aerospace has a ready made market where they can charge from $6,000.00/hour to over $25,000.00/hour to operate their aircraft I have no doubt they want the massively less expensive competition eliminated from the playing field. Those dollar numbers are relatively accurate and currently being charged. The only question is how such elimination would be performed to avoid the appearance of government collusion. Registration under a guise of "public safety" is a good start. Look to the Patriot Act for how the general public can be lulled into just about anything if it's proposed in a manner that promotes their personal safety. That government windfall removed our personal privacy and destroyed Constitutional search and seizure law. But it made everyone safer, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

And this, partly, is why we live in a time with anemic economic growth. Regulations and obsession with "safety" undermine innovation. Just take real estate aerial photography as an example. Imagine the FAA offering a simple and clear path, e.g., a ceiling under 200 feet, no flying over property without permission, and all in daylight with line of sight --- do that, and you are legal for commercial work. Imagine the explosion of legal activity that would follow. But, no, instead we get convoluted processes, moronic rules (a pilot's license to fly), record keeping and other burdens that only favor big outfits, and now multiple agencies rushing in for a power grab that will make it all worse.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
and with the FC serial numbers we also have to ask about those of us that break down and rebuild/reconfigure our equipment over and over.

i wonder if other pure recreational RC vehicles will also be included in this

Not sure why that reminded me of this song.

violetwolf

And how many school/toddler shootings this month? Maybe that should be the government focus.

Let's regulate drones!!!?? Wtf

Old Man

Interesting this registration thing comes immediately on the heels of the FAA and OGA's initiation of testing electronic drone knock down devices in Virginia.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
in lieu of any meaningful regulations I can see where registrations might be seen by some as a worthwhile shortcut to holding people accountable. but, this being America, I've seen few positive signs from the FAA and our larger government institutions to suggest anyone with half a brain is manning the controls.

so while I understand the positive spin that @Carapau put on the discussion, I also understand all too well the more cynical responses and so will refrain from expressing my own dissatisfaction and frustration with everything surrounding commercial ops heretofore.

Dezy

I hope its not as dire as this thread portends - you guys are bumming me out! :eek:

Maybe there will be some good news tomorrow.....