Octocopter with Red Epic

bihter

i was just curious to the draw cause i thought at first he was saying 24 amps and i was like, mine hovers at 20 amps on 4s at 2kilo....... but thats pretty impressive. looks like it averages 45 amp draw if he's flying the pack 80%....... thats cool, pretty much hovering

chasing stuff is hard,,, i've been working at it and it's so easy to get too fast or to drag behind..... can't imagine adding the stress of flying this cam

How heavy is the camera alone?

Camera, together with lens, battery, downlink converter and all cable was around 5.5 kg. Only body was 2.5 kg.

Chasing stuff is really hard but more fun than other shootings.
Well that was my first flight with such a expensive camera and was about to die from stress at the begining. Then after I saw everything works, felt better. But couldnt do all movement I used to before. It was like everything slow motion to me. :)

bihter

The battery pack was total of 24A 4S. And I setup warning beep or whatever it's called :) to 3.7V and I landed before warning. When I checked the battery they were all around 3.8- 3.9V. That was about 5 min flight time. So I figure it out it was going to be around 7 min. So I said flight time would be around 7 min.
The motors I have 1000W and drawing 45A at max. So never had any warming or smelling issue at all.

anaka

I had MK on this set up before. But I was always worried about BL's when flying with heavy load. Just changed it back to DJI to be able to use 60A esc's. That was the only reason.

well..so is it not possible to use different ESCs than the BLcontrol on MK?
this looks to be a bad limitation...

Simiban

Flying-copter.com
yes it is possible when using I2C converter but I didn't have it the time I need to go for shooting.

If you already have the MK electronics, you should maybe order a proper I2C and try it. I never used any DJI system, but I'm using MK on all my octos, and they are pretty reactiv. For sure they are not 12 kg :)
But it's a test worth I think.

bihter

I also got a question: How is your 24 Amp - 4S put together ? Could only be 3x 4S - 8.000 mAh Lipo's....didn't find any 4S - 12.000 mAh.
My wild guess is this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16226

Some serious weight for LiPo's....2,5 kg....but since they are strapped on top of the copter it might be good for Center Of Gravity, since the Cam is a heavy piece of equipment.

Chris

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11940__Turnigy_nano_tech_6000mah_4S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html
these are the batteries...

snurre

Same as I am using, either in 12 or 24Ah parallel config.
Fat battery connectors recommended at these currents. I use EC5. And a solid power distribution :D

bihter

Same as I am using, either in 12 or 24Ah parallel config.
Fat battery connectors recommended at these currents. I use EC5. And a solid power distribution :D

You are right.
I believe I have a quite strong power distribution board :) self made...

Power Distribution Board

Hi,

I'm presently getting an octo which i'll be using for heavy lift something like yours, but i'm going with a Tmotor setup with a 6cell lipo and with a dji. Was looking around for a good power distribution board. You said you have a self made strong one, can you please share some details on this please.

Regards,
Adarsh

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You could just bolt all your wires together with wire lugs. I did this before and it didn't weigh that much more. Just a thought.