Octocopter with Red Epic

snurre

Really nice!
What is that squeeking noise in the second video?

Curious about your setup and flight data. Care to share info on flight time, batteries, motors, props?
/ Tomas

ChrisViperM

Very nice....just one question (since there is a discussion about this in another thread): What is your specific reason for using wooden XOAR props ???

Thanks

Chris

bihter

Really nice!
What is that squeeking noise in the second video?

Curious about your setup and flight data. Care to share info on flight time, batteries, motors, props?
/ Tomas

That was for battery warning, at the beginning it started beeping and it was coming only from one battery so I didn't care about it since I planned not to fly longer.

Secure flight time was about 7 min with 24A.

bihter

Vielen Dank :))

First of all, I love Xoar props and the main reason was, I thought they would do their work under such a heavy load and they did it.
I prefer wooden props when weather is calm and carbons when it is windy.

bihter

I preferred Tiger 2826 550kv and 17x6 wooden propeller, 4S total of 24A
gimbal self made, I also have CS gimbal but couldn't get the result with existing servos and didn't have time to swap them.

snurre

So total battery capacity 24Ah, ok.
Some big props you have got there :)
What esc are you using?
Would you say you have satisfactory power margin for good climb, accelerations and speedy flight?
Any temperature issues?

Thanks for sharing!

bihter

So total battery capacity 24Ah, ok.
Some big props you have got there :)
What esc are you using?
Would you say you have satisfactory power margin for good climb, accelerations and speedy flight?
Any temperature issues?

Thanks for sharing!

Well, octo became like a heavy truck. All movement got slower.
That was first time that I flew with such a heavy load.
I m gonna try with another smaller propeller to make it react faster. Because it wasnt fast enough at all.
There was no temp. issue, I used 60A Esc.

jes1111

I think a part of the sluggish behaviour will be down to the diameter - 133cm motor-to-motor! That's quite a size! Yaw authority, I'm guessing, is "not too good"? Roll/pitch responsiveness is "lazy"? Personally I'd lose four arms and go X8. I don't think you'll cure the problem with smaller props.

bihter

I think a part of the sluggish behaviour will be down to the diameter - 133cm motor-to-motor! That's quite a size! Yaw authority, I'm guessing, is "not too good"? Roll/pitch responsiveness is "lazy"? Personally I'd lose four arms and go X8. I don't think you'll cure the problem with smaller props.

When I change it to X8, do you think I might lose some lifting effeciency ?

kloner

Aerial DP
i was just curious to the draw cause i thought at first he was saying 24 amps and i was like, mine hovers at 20 amps on 4s at 2kilo....... but thats pretty impressive. looks like it averages 45 amp draw if he's flying the pack 80%....... thats cool, pretty much hovering

chasing stuff is hard,,, i've been working at it and it's so easy to get too fast or to drag behind..... can't imagine adding the stress of flying this cam

How heavy is the camera alone?

snurre

Some confusion here about current draw and total pack capacity...
It I got it right the total pack capacity is 24Ah and 4S. At 80% drain over 7 minutes that corresponds to about 170 amperes average. Quite reasonable with the setup at hand.

kloner

Aerial DP
sounds more like it.... that's insane

does it smell when you land something drawing that kinda power? that's 28mm motors?

jes1111

When I change it to X8, do you think I might lose some lifting effeciency ?
Yes, you will - so you'll get a slightly shorter flight time - but remember that you also lose some weight, so that gains you back a little time.

The important trick is to run a slightly higher pitch on the bottom motor so it gets a better "bite" on the fast moving air coming from the top prop. For example, I'm running 14x4 top and 14x5 bottom.