Octocopter at the Arnold Palmer Invitational 2013

Tomstoy2

Thanks for sharing that, Al! I fully agree with you that proper training is necessary for the industry to grow, safety for everybody involved, and a much needed boost to the overall economy. The trickle down effect of such professional measures will be enjoyed by all!

i doubt you would of been allowed to bring at jib out there due to it would probably leave indentions on the grass.

As far as what the golfer was thinking, it was probably "Man that thing is cool as Sh*t" or "I cant wait to win some money from this tournament so i can buy one of those" . Ive flown my multis literally feet away from the talents face, by the request of the talent (just take a look at my demo "krewella". The girl actually walked up to my multi, right in between the blades on a Y6

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I see no problem with what was done here if it was staged, and clearly it was. we live in a complex world that will never leave everyone satisfied. At the end of the day we can't rely on law to always guide our decisions. We must ALWAYS evaluate each situation for ourselves and balance the risk to reward. Unfortunately there are a lot of dumb people on this planet that inevitably screw things up for the rest of us. Regardless of what laws evolve concerning the legalization of UAV's, I see no reason those laws should encroach on private land nor a planned shot on a set. Flying long range FPV is a whole other story.

nicwilke

What does your PLI cover you for? It would have to be in the tens of millions for coverage of a pro golfers eye? I just look in awe that you have the balls to operate a craft so close to a person (let alone a pro golfer) because just last night I blew a brand new ESC, and it caused a wobble that took at least 5 horizontal metres to compensate and gain control. I think we will need to start looking into prop guards for this type of filming. Thanks for sharing, nice flying and even nicer video. How does the saying go? "props to the pilot" LOL

Str8 Up

This has bad idea written all over it. Bragging about flying close to someones face is even worse. Less experienced flyers will see this and think it's reasonable to do. A DIT at our local camera rental house was on a shoot recently when an octo crashed a couple of feet beside a golf pro. He was royally pissed about it too. Overconfidence in the reliablilty of this equipment will end up banning its use. It's not the thousands of times everything works perfectly - it's the one time it doesn't that is the reason for extra precautions flying around people. We have been turning down projects for safety reasons, only to see them flown anyway by less experienced operators. I don't understand why so many don't get this. We don't turn down jobs because we aren't comfortable we can do them safely, it's because if that one in a million incident happens, the news headline reads "drone crashes into golf pro". The future isn't looking bright amigos.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

That's the nature of the beast, if you won't do it someone will, so if you can do it safely you should do the job so the lesser experienced won't have the chance to do harm.

It's going to be awhile before we have a set standard on how to operate these rigs so as much as we want it there are people that will test the limits of these rigs, and unavoidably will be misshaps that will shape our industry to the future medium of aerial photography. Most industry start this way bud... Sucks doesn't it.

nicwilke

That's the nature of the beast, if you won't do it someone will, so if you can do it safely you should do the job so the lesser experienced won't have the chance to do harm.

It's going to be awhile before we have a set standard on how to operate these rigs so as much as we want it there are people that will test the limits of these rigs, and unavoidably will be misshaps that will shape our industry to the future medium of aerial photography. Most industry start this way bud... Sucks doesn't it.

Prop guards is a start point for this type of flying.

3dheliguy

Yep... That would be a good start for sure. I think droidworx is working on this design. So are a couple other companies.

DennyR

If you are shooting on a film set with professional stunt men (street runners etc.) they know the risk and they are paid to do the job they decided to do. There is no public liability involved as the film company take care of that. If you shoot a construction site with the permission of the company and you carry out the assignment in accordance with their safety officer then you have covered yourself. But If you go out and start shooting your *** off at some public sporting event then you are putting your neck on the line. Just pressing the shutter at the wrong time at a PGA event would get you kicked out straight away.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My friend who owns Aericam has clever system of integrated prop guards. They arent cages but arms that fold out to protect from the ends of the blades. They wouldn't protect in all directions but do add some comfort as well as help with orientation at long distances.

As for flying near people, it's no different than flying over people. I thought it was something we all agreed to not do unless those people are aware of the risk and covered by waiver. I just got asked to fly over the Warrior's parking lot as the game filled in and I said NO way was the risk to reward worth it. They said they would cover liability if it crashed into someone's car but no mention of what would happen if something happend with a person. Yikes! I have 99% confidence in my heli but as someone pointed out, it's that 1 time you have to think about. It's time someone comes out with a real good solution for prop protection. I think I saw Droidworx come close with those add on cages.