Noob help Please first build

C4rd0z

Ok so I’ve decided i want to get into the whole quad copter scene and want to start off. Don’t want to start off with one of these pre made kits and would much rather start off with something I’d built myself. I built my mates DJI f450 kit with little problems but I don’t really have the cash to splash on the DJI atm. I’ve found a airframe i like and order it. Need to decide on what motors, ECS’s and props to use now. below is what i propose to use. Any comments/advice would be much appreciated

Frame – Turnigy Talon V2 Quad copter frame (300g bare airframe)
Motor:-
Choice 1 - NTM Prop Drive Series 28-30A 800kv (short shaft version)
Choice 2 - NTM Prop Drive Series 2826 1000kv
ESC - Afro ESC 30Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller (SimonK Firmware)
Props – 10 x 4 SF
FC – KK2.0 HC
Battery – Mixtures ive been given all 3s. 3500, 2200, 4000 & another 3500
TX – Futaba T10CG 2.4

All I’ve left to buy are the motors and the ECS please advise me if I’ve chosen wisely

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum!

i don't have any experience with these specific motors, but it seems for the 10" props you'd want the 800kv version. Make sure you do the math and figure out your total weight (AUW) and see how that works with the thrust they will provide. You're shooting for the AUW at half throttle.

The 30A ESC is the way to go. That gives you some headroom for bursts.

Good of luck and fly safe.

C4rd0z

Like I say I'm a compete noob what would I need to do to work out which motor and what proba I was gonna get the 30 esc is ice always been told more is better :) less likely to blow

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Like I say I'm a compete noob what would I need to do to work out which motor and what proba I was gonna get the 30 esc is ice always been told more is better :) less likely to blow

Ecalc is probably the easiest way to get a basic idea of what will work. They don't list every motor though.

You need to calculate the weight of all components together, and then see if you can find data for thrust for your motor/prop/battery combo (unfortunately HK doesn't list this). You want to achieve hover at 50% throttle. So either the motor data will provide 100% throttle (multiply by # of motors and divide by 2) or they may actually show 50% throttle data and you can simply multiply by number of motors.

I have experience flying with the NTM 800kv motors.. They get hot super quick. I have had 10" to 12" props, 3s and 4s battery combos. These things heat up like crazy.. I replaced them because I was afraid they'd crap out in flight. They don't draw much current though.. 17 amps max at full throttle per motor.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have experience flying with the NTM 800kv motors.. They get hot super quick. I have had 10" to 12" props, 3s and 4s battery combos. These things heat up like crazy.. I replaced them because I was afraid they'd crap out in flight. They don't draw much current though.. 17 amps max at full throttle per motor.

If that's the case you might look into the sunnysky motors. Not quite as cheap - but good bang for the buck.