nex 5n quaestion

kloner

Aerial DP
nex 5n question

Whats the difference between the alpha nex5n and one thats not listed as alpha?

Last edited by a moderator:

PaNt

It has the A-mount included... This means that you can use the A-mount lenses to your nex..!

kloner

Aerial DP
you guys are talkin to a total idiot regarding any of these cams and i'm trying to understand this all. From whet i can tell, is the nex5n an e mount and the alpha is a a mount right? i see the different stuff, am i seeing that the a mount glass is a lot higher end than the e versions? i want to fly it over water, alot. i'm most likely gonna put it in the drink more than once. is the difference in glass a huge deal? is the lenses weight drastically different? I need it lite as possible, which one do i need?

kloner

Aerial DP
This is like kloner reading spanish. i need a video to explain em all to me

whats the improvements from a nex5 to a nex5n? i see the body split looking. is the onscreen stuff different. looking at it all on ebay is confusing the hell out of me. is there a site that does explanations of all this stuff i'm asking?

hjls3

Kloner I was in the same boat recently. I know the Canon stuff ok but I wanted to get a sony nex. Here is a review I read prior to choosing the 5n - it has a good explanation of things.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n

Also, it seems they are about to come out with another version. I cant remember what it is called or the changes, however, i do recall that prior to getting the 5n - i thought that the upcoming changes werent really for me, given that I was only using it for AP. I think it has some wifi sharing ability or something along those lines. WHAT ALL THIS MEANS TO YOU TODAY - the prices of the 5n are dropping. I bought mine from 42nd street photo for 599 a month ago. Today it is...569

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid...61_mp_digital_camera_w_18_55mm_lens_black.htm

People will complain about 42nd street but I have never had a problem and i have bought 4 cameras from them. They consistently are the cheapest and their service is good. THey do aggressively try to upgrade you with memory cards, batteries chargers etc. but I just tell them no and take advantage of their pricing.

On another note - sign me up for a Kloner 450. Do I get you some funds or yuri who I think is IrisAerial?

kloner

Aerial DP
man, i'm such a cheap bastard. i dunno what it is, my bloodline????? Im starting off with this thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221118924724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

what started all this is my wife was getting ready to pay a friend of mine that calls himself a hobby photo guy that is retired, hangs out at IB and takes pictures of surfers with big lenses to do a photo shoot of my daughter who just turned 2. The 18-55 will get me through that part of the deal with the wife, but i'm gonna need the 16mm for it to fly it, right? This will be light years better than the gopro, right? I want to build a flying wing and make high speed proximity flight videos of places is my end goal with it.......... if it falls off, well shes gonna be pissed but in my eyes, it's not much more than a hero2 with a layer lens value wise. there it is again, cheap bastard.

Think i'll be happy? do they have a way to do live view with an analog wire? like for fpv?

What is the exact lens i need to have a 16mm that fits that cam?

kloner

Aerial DP
On another note - sign me up for a Kloner 450. Do I get you some funds or yuri who I think is IrisAerial?

We'll get you and irisaerial together and you can pay him directly. Let me get this frame he just cut so i can go over the file one more time if i have to. It is pretty dialed in. rubber band hooks, moved the front arms another 5 degrees, should clear 10" props out of frame with a gopro. it's slowly morphing

Bison52

I'm curious. Does the WiFi on the new NEX 5R operate at 2.4 like all other WiFi and would this not be a huge problem with 2.4 rc?

I thought this might be a question when GoPro came out with their app to link with smart phones, etc but that has been vaporware for so long it's ridiculous.

For what it's worth, I have the Sigma 19 mm in E-mount and really like it. 19 mm with the NEX sensor is 28 mm equivalent. 16 mm is 24 mm equivalent. It's not expensive. A little bigger than the 16 but smaller than the kit zoom.

The A-mount has a much larger selection of lenses but with adapter, you're giving away size and weight advantages of NEX.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm gonna show how dumb i am about this, did i buy an A mount lens camera, says alpha? I suck at this. read for a few hours but i just gotta get one, love it at first, see the differences first hand with whats different. but i need to make sure i don't buy the wrong lens to fly, that'd be be next level past dumb for not askin

when were talking these flying lenses, i want the widest angle possible without getting all fisheye gopro looking. i like seeing the stuff go by all surrounded looking.

Bison52

I sometimes see Sony NEX series cameras referred to as Sony Alpha NEX but not always. Sony also has a line of full DSLR cameras called Alpha. These use the A-mount shared with Minolta AF cameras.

NEX are all E-mount. If PaNt is correct and the Alpha means the A-mount adapter is included, that would be nice but I've never seen them packaged that way. With the adapter and A-mount lenses, you're going to be bigger and heavier

So if you got a NEX, I'm pretty sure you got an E-mount. Go with the Sony 16 mm pancake or the Sigma 19 mm. If you ordered an Alpha (not NEX) you may have gotten a DSLR.

I still favor the 5N.

Sony should give me a gift certificate. My friends all come to me for camera questions and recommendations and I've sold at least 4 NEX 5Ns for them recently. I'm an amateur but have long experience. They all think bigger is better but I've always favored the smallest camera that would do the job, even before I got into AP. I cut my teeth on Olympus OM-1s, which gives you a clue how old I am.

Bison52

Oh yeah, the 16 mm won't be fisheyed but you are getting into the range of a bit of wide angle distortion. That's why I like the 19 a little better but if you want as wide as possible and extremely small and light, the 16 is definitely the way to go.

Tahoe Ed

Kloner, you got a Nex 5 vs a Nex 5N. Google a comparison to see the differences other than the cost, about $200.

Bison52

That's the 5. The k or s denote the lens it's packaged with I think. That in the link 16 mm is the one you want. The 18-55 it comes with is a decent walking around lens.