News Scoop......... seeking forgiveness rather than permission ?

CopterCam

A friend whilst playing Golf called me to say that Gun shots and screaming where heard from an adjoining Holiday Home Park.

With my Aerial Platform in hand I made my way to the Crime Scene for some Aerial Imaging with the intention of supplying them to interested parties. I thought it best on arrival to declare my intentions......Big Mistake. At this time there were many Media Personnel arriving to do their bit but I was denied by the Senior Detective on the basis that.....'it might fall on someone....' I explained my flight intentions and was prepared to demo in a safe and non threatening area but he was having none of it, he appeared more interested in his cup of Coffee. I had no intention of flying over the scene, but oblique shots would be sufficient.

Whilst leaving with my tail between my legs and Platform in hand I was approached by other Detectives who were intrigued by my Quadcopter and on explanation were largely sympathetic to my cause and advised me in future to arrive and shoot and accept the consequences, if any.

I was thinking might it be better to get an Official Accreditation that would cover these News worthy situations ? I know many of you have issues with your Aviation Authorities but I am working in a largely unregulated environment at present.

Any comments or suggestions ?

Sid

Macsgrafs

Sid,

There is a CAA charge of £100 plus an exam that costs between £700 & £1000 depending on which one of the 2 UK based test firms you use!
Its strange how shooting for FREE means you ont need all that crap, yet charge a penny & its gonna cost you £800 - £1100!!!The CAA are NOT happy about the firms prices & are supposed to be lookign into it.

Ross