Newbie seeking advise from the community

growe19

Hi Guys,

I've had an AR Drone and linked it up to my laptop for flying via an Xbox controller but with a GoPro underneath it just doesn't do the job.

I've seen some videos and really like these on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/41406911, http://vimeo.com/34676743, http://vimeo.com/28706477

So I'm taking the plunge and upgrading but before I buy I wanted to see if what I was getting was a good setup in the opinion of the multirotor community.

I've been on www.buzzflyer.co.uk and this is what I've spec'd:

DJI F550 FlameWheel
Kit Specification: Assembled by Buzz Flyer
Battery and Charger: 14.8v 4250Mah LiPo and B6D Programmable Charger
GPS: DJI NAZA GPS Upgrade
Autopilot: DJI NAZA
Transmitter: Walkera Devo10
Receiver: Walkera Devo10 RX

Aeroxcraft DJI 550 GoPro Gimbal Landing Gear Set

Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV goggles

I'll be flying with a GoPro HERO3 so will need to slightly modify the gimbal as it is designed for the HERO2.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

G

b0nafide

Hey Growe...

Welcome to the community.

Stepping up from a AR Drone is a good first step :)

The DJI Naza F550 is a good copter (so I've heard). I'm building one myself right now. My suggestions:
- Build it yourself... this way when something goes wrong, you'll be equipped with the knowledge and tools to fix it.
- Slow down... don't bother getting an FPV system right off the bat. Figure out how to fly it and get it working for you first.
- If you insist on getting all of the running at the start. Upgrade your props..

...You realize your talking from moving from a $250 AR Drone to a potential $1500 system with all your gadgets?

growe19

Yeah I checked the price, it is quite a step.
I was going with the FPV because I thought it would make it easier to fly.

I had a few cases of lost Drone when wind took it up up and away! Those videos I link in my opinion had some pretty good flying. Couldn't be achieved without FPV.

And as for building it. That is a definite no no. I tried building a 3D printer and that doesn't work. So luckily as Bzuzz Flyer are quite local to me I can just take it there for a once over.

Do you think the footage will need much stablisation? And if so, what do you guys use (Mac)?

growe19

Well the gimbal compared to others available is very very cheap so maybe not great. The camera will just be a GoPro. I was going to try it on each of the modes to work out what was best.

I had some raw footage from another pilot I ran through After Effects CS6 and it seemed to do a good job of stablising it.

Kilby

The problem with stabilizing GoPro footage is that the fisheye lens always gives it away. Yes, it might come out less jumpy, but then it starts to look like it was warped in the areas that the stabilization happened. This doesn't happen on a lens that doesn't barrel the image.

growe19

Ok then that transitions nicely to another question then. Could the DJI setup above lift a Canon 600D (Reble Ti2 I think in the US)?