Newbie info

Dawgs

i finally got up the scratch to buy a drone. I already have a gopro 3 . My question is this....do I go with a drone that can carry my gopro or do I go with one with an integrated camera? I kinda like the phantom 2 , phantom 2 vision or the walkera qr x350 pro....ANY feedback is appreciated

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's a crazy time as there are a bunch of ready-to-fly quad copters on or about to enter the market and they are all similar with regards to quality and price.

i know we are getting the Hubsan one for a review and we are continuing to haggle with DJI for an Inspire. We've requested the Yuneec Q500 and the XAircraft XMission as well as the new Walkera RTF quad but so far it looks like only the Hubsan is in line for delivery when it's available. The Hubsan one was going to be released by Hobbico as the Ora but they've decided to scrap that and go with the Hubsan name distributed through Hobbico.

My personal opinion is that you'll probably be happier using the GoPro and a lot of equipment is being delivered ready for a GoPro to be snapped into place.

We should see what will be available and what works well in the next two to three months.

Bart

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you buy a Phanton it will mean that all the gear on it is dedicated to just that Phantom, if you decide you say want to build say a mini then you will be up for everything again including a radio. If you buy a bit better you can buy a good radio and use it with all your future projects, same with batteries.

If all you want is something for AP then just grab something that is all in one and integrated. If you want to learn how to fly and build and really have this as a hobby then look elsewhere.

Bartman

i finally got up the scratch to buy a drone. I already have a gopro 3 . My question is this....do I go with a drone that can carry my gopro or do I go with one with an integrated camera? I kinda like the phantom 2 , phantom 2 vision or the walkera qr x350 pro....ANY feedback is appreciated

@Dawgs

first of all, where in NJ are you?

second, have you ever built anything RC before? if you have some cash and a GoPro then I'd say that you'll be best served building a quad with the Tarot 2D brushless gimbal and you'll have a good heli for a reasonable amount of money

Dawgs

Bartman

Im in hudson county and i don't know the first thing about building anything RC. Basically ill be using this for AP. I was looking for something to buy thats complete and RTF. Thats why i was leaning towards the phantom or the walkera. But I'm open for ANY suggestions

Bartman

Bartman

Im in hudson county and i don't know the first thing about building anything RC. Basically ill be using this for AP. I was looking for something to buy thats complete and RTF. Thats why i was leaning towards the phantom or the walkera. But I'm open for ANY suggestions

have you seen the group build thread in the beginners' lounge? building means you learn how it's all put together which helps a lot when it comes time to do repairs after the inevitable first crash. your GoPro is probably better than the cameras on any of the RTF quads, that come with a camera.

check this out
http://multirotorforums.com/threads/group-build-2014-dji-naza-f450-quadcopter.13431/

you can do it!

Dawgs

bart I'm sure it will come down to me having to make repairs. that I'm not too worried about. I'm pretty handy but I'm not sure if I'm ready to build one from scratch. too many things i can screw up.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Dawg,

Welcome to the addiction! :)

If you are set on an RTF you can check out a review I did on the DJI Phantom 2 HERE

The fact that you already have the camera means you can take advantage of the gopro quality, and save some money in the process. Since the Vision has been released, I think the cost of the Phantom 2 has come down. Solid machine for the money - and you will learn valuable lessons in flying and safety (I hope!).

Dawgs

seems like the vision is less expensive than the regular phantom 2 on most sites. does that seem right? why is that?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would think so. The quality is set up to be better/more flexible with the Gopro instead of the built-in camera.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It depends on how into you want to get. The GoPro can definitely be transmitted - but I believe you'd have to add a VTX which is going to require soldering etc.

If you want the fullest functionality, that's where you're best getting into your own build.

If this is to learn on - I wouldn't worry about FPV at first. Learn to fly, get cool photo/video, which can and should be done LOS, at least until you get more comfortable.