Newbie here

hey everyone , so stoked I found this forum. I have been reading for hours on it. I just bought x650 carbon with camera mount. im looking to do what "dave fullmer" is doing except I am hoping to mount my canon vixia hv 30 , 544 grams, on the heli with a slight mod of the video platform. if not ill sell it and get some thing better. I also have a go pro hd. I shoot weddings, promos, etc so i am looking to step up my films. ill buy bigger multiroter in may or june but this will get me going for sure. I am a little nervous for setup and calibration but I am very persistant when it comes to projects. I also am a fan of google. some screen shots of the pc calibration page would maybe help but i suppose every heli is different the way its balanced etc. If someone wants either a little cash or just major karma, I would appreciate a phone number to maybe help me with the setup and calibration, I learn really fast by doing and also from youtube tutorials. Which i found a few for building! I am in vail,co by the way. Thanks again!!

Chris

Cabe

Welcome to the forums! (It's only 10pm in NJ, why isn't Bart doing his official greeting duteh?! :) )

Tip, don't send it up first time with the expensive camera :)

diagram.jpg

thanks I was thinking about rigging something that i could learn with like the 2x4 the guy rigged and it cant fall to the ground. i was thinking bunjee somehow connecting the top and then bottom and only allow 5 inches of play so the blades wont get caught on the way up. this way I can learn to hover steer etc. "cheesy diagram" and spelled taut wrong.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
dc,
have you ever flown RC before? Are you in a hurry or can you take some time to get it sorted out? i wish i had time i'd fly out to vail and get you flying while sneaking in a side trip to go skiing.
if you haven't flown RC i'd strongly recommend a simulator of some sort just so you can get some sense of what you're up against in working the controls.
i'm heading to bed but will check in tomorrow and we'll see what we can do to help get things moving.
welcome, glad you found us,
bart

never flown rc, and i got tickets for you if you fly out here. rediculous spring skiing its 50+ here and sunny. not in a hurry, and i only work nights from 4 to 9 ,5 days a week. rest is devoted to video. i got lots of time. i have been flying a simulator for two weeks. with my computer keyboard doing pretty decent
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Got the heli in the mail yesterday at 2 went to work at 4 hadnt even opened the package yet. got home at 930 started assembly at 10 was completely finsihed by 1, The assembly was nothing to be nervous about everything is layed out soo well. i did it while sitting on my bed watching a movie. seriously. upgraded firmware now wondering how to even start to use the software to program everything. i get batteries on friday so i am just playing with it trying to figure it all out. do i fly it first then go into the settings and adjust. i have no idea theres no directions when it comes to what to do out of the box before flight .

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome DC.. hope you ordered some spare props! Just a word of advice from a WANT TO DO IT NOW. type of person.. SLOOOOOOOOOOOWDOWWWNNNN! Unless you got more wedge than the sultan of Oman to throw at your new found camera platform!

Bartman

Got the heli in the mail yesterday at 2 went to work at 4 hadnt even opened the package yet. got home at 930 started assembly at 10 was completely finsihed by 1, The assembly was nothing to be nervous about everything is layed out soo well. i did it while sitting on my bed watching a movie. seriously. upgraded firmware now wondering how to even start to use the software to program everything. i get batteries on friday so i am just playing with it trying to figure it all out. do i fly it first then go into the settings and adjust. i have no idea theres no directions when it comes to what to do out of the box before flight .

dck,
how did you assemble it, 'x' or '+'? do you know what batteries you'll be using, 3 cell or 4 cell? have you discovered the wiki at xaircraft.com yet?
make sure before you fly that you have the flight mode set to "hover" unless you have a lot of rc helicopter experience.
we can go through it step by step but first we have to know what configuration it is and what batteries you intend to use.
bart

i assembled x.

and i got the flight power lipo 3350 mah 3s batteries.
and thanks droider I am taking it easy for sure reading and watching alot of videos. dont have the battery charger yet so i cant fly it anyway. i found alot of stuff I did find the wiki and i already upgraded the firmware to the current one. I also found a video showing how to set your neutral calibration in the sofware. im feeling more and more confident . youtube has alot. I even kindalearned how to work my walkera 2801 pro reciever. oh also where should i mount the reciever does it go on top of the stack of electronics if so then the cover will need some extension to be able to fasten it down.

so had my first flight outside today im at number 5. everything is going great at first i just kept it very low and just tried to get used to it. then i started digging into setting in my tx and changed the throttle pitch to slow to start and then at 3/4 stick its rapid. its so easy that way also numbed out all my steering and it flies sooo well now. im doing full yaw turns and accelerating and backing up very steady hovers. the wind picked up to gusts to 12 or so occasionally and the heli powered right through them very LITTLE effort on my part to keep it stable. this thing and 1.30 and the .xconfig files i loaded on it are amazing. I HAVE NEVER FLOWN ANYTHING BEFORE and I feel somewhat comfortable in a cautious sort of way. ill post up videos ive already mounted my canon vixia hv30 on it and the gopro all day. ill also when i get a free sec right up a great beginners post for someone to read before asking all the dumb questions like ive asked between this forum and others. ill also include videos that were extremley helpfull.
thanks again everyone that chimed in here.

last night trying to calibrate the heli i bumped the throttle inside and it flew up to the ceiling bent a motor mount and scratched the props, cut my hand when i powered down and caught it out of the sky. wowowa.no more inside stuff. checked everything and lightly rebent the motor mount and it flies perfect today. im even flying with one glass fiber arm the rest carbon fiber.

Bartman

dckb
glad it's working out for you! i can't say it enough, resist the urge to fly it too high too soon. it is realy easy to lose track of which way it's pointing and lose control. it sounds like you're doing a great job and have it under control. I'm hoping for nice weather this week so I can get mine back out to the park for more flying.
regards,
bart

yeah i really want to go up high but winds in the mtns come up randomly too so im keeping it below 30 feet. it flies sooo much better too with weight on it. im going to get a few more flights in today and then toss and turn thinking about it tomorow. haha. ill put clips together and load em up tonight.

two questions that i think i googled and got a right answer but just making sure . I can charge and run batteries all day as long as there not hot when i connect them to the charger. which they are not.

second
on my tx im at 11.1 volts on a 2200 15 c lipo and i found info stating to charge it at that point. low voltage alarm will go off at 9 but dont let it go that low. sound right.

also im veryimpressed with the walkera 2801 pro tx for 170 and 40 for the rx. does everything thus far that i need. peops were talking me into a 4 5 6 hundred dollar tx and i just felt that was too much to start as soon as i upgrade this heli in a month or two then ill do it.

Bartman

on the batteries i believe that you can run/charge/run all day so long as temps aren't an issue. check your motors once in a while to see if they're getting hot at all as you add weight and extend flight times.

good question on the tx battery voltage.:confused::confused: if it's a 3 cell pack then the fully charged voltage will be just over twelve and i'd say 11.1 is still a pretty good place to be. most low voltage warnings that i've seen will come on at 3 to 3.3 volts and even at 3.3 you're still looking at just under ten volts total which is well below 11.1. as you go you'll get to know you're equipment better so i'd say keep inching past the 11.1 setting and see what you can get away with but 9.5 to 10 should be the point that you absolutely don't go past.

where did you see a reference to 11.1 volts as the cutoff?

transmitter technology has to be getting long in the tooth at this point so it's not really that surprising to see less expensive units giving good performance. digital proportional systems have been around for almost forty years, right? maybe a bit longer?

have fun,
bart