Newb to the hobby and need advice! :D

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The situation varies according to the country you live in....... In my case I get items from Germany, Malaysia and China faster and with less shipping cost than I can get them from the USA........ It is apparently due to a free trade deal between Canada and the USA!!! Go figure.....
Ugh can already tell you my biggest problem with this hobby is going to be these shipping times! Why does it take so long for a package to leave these countries! LOL goin crazy

Lol sounds like a great free trade deal...<sarcasm>. ya my hobbyking and tbs orders have been sitting for almost 2 weeks now, and still say they are in hong kong or Singapore.. shipping from Canada isn't usually too bad for me. just most places there wont ship to the US

Yeah, you'll want to come up with a list of US vendors that can get u stuff in 2-3 days. Or in the case of HobbyKing, use the US warehouse when possible. Otherwise plan on 1-3 weeks.

Jello is a when the video becomes slightly distorted due to vibration so that it looks like you are looking at or through jello. It is more predominant on cameras with a CMOS sensor, like the ones in GoPro Hero cameras, and makes it very susceptible to the aircraft vibration when in high light conditions. To fix the jello effect you typically need to work on minimizing the aircraft vibration, but that in itself probably won't take care of it. The next step is to apply a Neutral Density (ND) filter to the camera which lowers the light input when shooting on bright sunny days.

Here's a good video "chadfish" (http://www.multirotorforums.com/member.php?5910-Chadfish) posted on YouTube showing how ND filters help to basically remove jello effect on a GoPro camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12psgQFBNbU

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are doing photography only, then any simple gimbal will do. In that case, all you are looking for is a way to tilt the camera down and frame the shot by positioning the MR, and click away.

If you are doing video, then, yes, the smoother the gimbal the smoother the video.
Note that even a good gimbal won't necessarily remove jello or vibrations on the camera. It's more in how you isolate the camera from the aircraft vibrations, either through rubber mounts or gel pads. In summary, to do good smooth video on a GoPro you would have a nicer gimbal (brushless, such as maybe the new Zenmuse H3-2D), mounted properly through some rubber mounts (included on the good gimbals), and a Neutral Density filter on your GoPro.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
A search here and on ebay will reveal a low weight and cost effective steel wire vibration isolator for fixed mount GoPro cameras..... Servo gimbals tend to not have any vibration isolation.....but are much lighter than are the brushless gimbal systems. but also more difficult to resolve vibration issues... But the brushless gimbal systems are considered superior for many reasons and typically come with anti-vibe rubber ball isolation.
so would it be better to get a better gimbal or doe that get really pricey?

The main benefit comes with that new PMU which now gives you full canbus support, including the new ZenH3-2D gimbal, the iOSD, and the new Bluetooth LED coming out later.

Canbus is a DJi proprietary bus protocol that allows various DJI products to talk to each other. For example, the GPS uses Canbus to tell the flight computer what the heading and GPS position is. The flight computer uses Canbus to tell the gimbal what the pitch and roll values are, and what the commanded tilt is from the user.
The iOSD allows for overlay of telemetry data on top of the video downlink. That way you can see battery voltage, height, heading, distance, etc., all on your FPV or downloaded video.
The Bluetooth LED is a replacement for your current LED and allows the flig computer to talk to your phone. With that installed, and the DJI app for your phone, you can fully configure your flight computer similar to what you do now by connecting it up via USB to your home computer or laptop.
Hope that helps. Check out these products on the DJI website. They're pretty cool.

OK almost done with the builds :D But I have a Futaba 8FGS and am using a fatshark dominator and the lawmate 2.4ghz tx/rx and the EZUHF 433Mhz tx/rx. So my question is im building my "ground station" I want to power the goggles from the controller but they are 12v and the battery in my futaba is only 7.4. Does the futaba upvolt to 12 on the dc output? or should I just wire the goggles to a 12v source on the ground station along with my rx and tx? Or should I get a 3 or 4S batter and supply a higher voltage to the radio? can it handle a higher voltage?

O and I still have to order a 2.4ghz patch antenna. I see HK has one for $15 and TBS has one for $70 is there really a big quality difference between antennas....? or is TBS just overcharging.