Newb from Vancouver, BC

ctbon

I'm going to be building an Okto2 and I'm very excited and a bit scared. I have no experience with soldering and I don't want to cook anything!

If there is anyone in the Lower Mainland here that can solder, let me know.

I can't wait to fly! (weather permitting of course, on the rainy west coast)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi and welcome ctbon.

Rainy Vancouver!!? Its always been beutiful when I have been there either on my way to Whistler or riding the North Shore!

Check out this Okto build guide its an excellent newb build example

https://sites.google.com/site/mkokto2/home

This was done by Reece2. He is a contributor on this forum.

Good luck, it would be nice to see you post your build pics in the MR build thread. If you run into difficulties just holler, there are loads of great guys on here that will jump in and help you out!

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm going to be building an Okto2 and I'm very excited and a bit scared. I have no experience with soldering and I don't want to cook anything!

If there is anyone in the Lower Mainland here that can solder, let me know.

I can't wait to fly! (weather permitting of course, on the rainy west coast)

Welcome to the site ctbon!! If you're planning to drop the cash for an Okto, plan to spend about $100 to $150 on a good soldering iron like this weller

http://cgi.ebay.com/WELLER-SOLDER-S...305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588df95359

there are a lot of videos that offer guidance on soldering and it's really a neat skill to learn which doesn't take long. it's worth the $$$ to have someone "ARF" your boards which leaves you with fewer soldering tasks to complete and gets you flying sooner.

Don't be shy, ask questions, jump right in!
Welcome!
Bart

Macsgrafs

Hi CTBON, welcome aboard, I'm sure there will be plenty of info to read on this forum. To me its a god send as I'm comming into this side of the hobby from helis & fixed wing, but there is so much I didnt know & still dont know, but the guys here have helped big time. I even learnt today from Dave that there is a very informative octo build guide.

Regards
Ross

Yes Chris ARF = Almost ready to fly or ARTF

Bartman

Yup, ARF, almost ready to fly
the basic flight control board comes mostly complete but there are additional components that have to be soldered on and it needs to be configured via the Mikrokopter software called MKtool. having the flight control board ARF'd just means they preassemble the loose parts and get it ready for flight in MKtool. you still have to solder on the receiver wires (a Spektrum Diversity board is highly recommended) and solder the motor wires and battery wires to the power distribution board but it's much easier from the beginning to go the ARF route. some will say you have to earn your stripes by doing all the soldering but i say bunky to that, get flying and enjoy the thing. there's plenty of other work to be done once it's flying and you'll have plenty of chances to watch the solder sizzle along the way.
bart

Macsgrafs

Bart, where does one get a spektrum diversity board? I take it you plug in 2 satellite's from a spektrum receiver???

Ross

Bartman