New Wing - TBS Caipirinha

Kilby

I just saw Trappy posting this on Facebook. I think I'm going to pick one of these up. I've wanted to get into a wing for a while, and I like the benefits of having something smaller to start with... the price isn't bad either, they just need to come up with a better name.

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:tbscaipirinha

Last edited by a moderator:

Breezemont

Really?
For a couple of hunks of EPP and other bits, the Assassin is a much better deal.

But in my experience, you absolutely cannot beat a scratch built KF wing.
Super stable, super simple, cheap enough you could build 10 of them from EPP for $100 and have money left over.
I was amazed at how stable it flies, tip-stalls are almost non-existent.
If you've never flown a small wing, I highly recommend giving the KF a try.

kloner

Aerial DP
The new tbs wing is pretty nice. If I wasn't into heavy lifters I'd be all over it. The board cam mount alone is worth $100. Ill probably have one before its over. If you've never flown something from tbs, I'd highly recommend trying it sometime.

kloner

Aerial DP
Lets see, 6 of the most experienced FPV flyers developed this thing over the last year. Utilizes Ritewing custom airfoils.

Honestly, that's enough to pry a bill outta my pocket to try it.

Here's a Ritewing built right flying through turbulence the whole way
http://youtu.be/DWrEkCecq9A

Flying at 4 kilo

kloner

Aerial DP
Takes a heavy lifter with extra spars, 11" wing tip extensions and 3" elevons. To the best of my knowledge that is the first one, I'm in the middle of building 2 more for customers. England and Florida are about to have em shipped in bnf

kloner

Aerial DP
It has ruby but I've only flown it manual so far. It has worked more than I've gotten to play with it. Pretty new to the fleet

tstrike

pendejo grande
This TBS wing intriques me. So for about 230.00 I get the wing and an electronics package. What else would one need to have a decent park flyer? I like the size and the apparent ruggedness. Kloner, why is the camera mount worth a hundred bones? and I'm asking as a total newb to the whole flying wing thing.

kloner

Aerial DP
It's molded in. Like I custom do mine

I wouldn't hesitate to own that thing. I'm 4 wings deep, but I'm sure ill have to get one of these. Would be nice for flying out on the river from boat. Can Stowe it, my 80" wing and much of something to drag around in a boat like mine

Breezemont

This TBS wing intriques me. So for about 230.00 I get the wing and an electronics package. What else would one need to have a decent park flyer? I like the size and the apparent ruggedness. Kloner, why is the camera mount worth a hundred bones? and I'm asking as a total newb to the whole flying wing thing.
You really don't need to spend that much to get a decent park flyer.
These guys are in Utah, and they fly these wings in combat so there's no doubt they know how to build for toughness.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/widowmaker-34.html
http://www.crashtesthobby.com/small-planes-up-to-50-span.html

An Assassin/Widowmaker and some HK gear and you could be flying for less than $100.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Just for comparison, I get $2800 for an 80" zxl bnf. $300 is like free and a way easier pathway to success. if you haven't built a molded wing, there way easier than sold chunks of epp, and not being EU epp, I personally prefer to build Elepor and replace as necessary.

Did I hear this new one is molded epp?

Breezemont

Just for comparison, I get $2800 for an 80" zxl bnf. $300 is like free and a way easier pathway to success. if you haven't built a molded wing, there way easier than sold chunks of epp, and not being EU epp, I personally prefer to build Elepor and replace as necessary.

Did I hear this new one is molded epp?
This is where we differ.
To me $300 is nowhere close to free, I can build 3 or 4 nice flying wings for that kind of money. :)

Cutting EPP with a razor is about as easy as it gets for wing builds, I used to build with balsa and tissue.
Although I can certainly see the value of RTF for some people, but I think most hobbyists would benefit from learning how to build.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever flown a KF airfoil wing?

kloner

Aerial DP
It's not about how foam is cut, it's about how the halves go together.

No I haven't flown any wings but Ritewing. But I've built 2 EUEPP telinks and I've had a couple cheap us epp planes and the difference in foams is huge. I've got hundreds if not more crashes on the eu, the us stuff crushed and crumbled pretty dang fast

How straight a wing is assembled is everything. The little pockets that interlock down the middle on cast foam makes it pretty hard to screw up. Unless a guy likes wag.

I'm sure there fine airfoils. But not for me. I tried dealing with them crash test guys, they were a strange group. I can relate a lot more with mr quick and he understands what I'm doing, stepped up and made it happen

Flying a big wing for hire don't take long to pay off

JG-rn

Love to get one of these. Wish I lived out in the boonies as I don't have anywhere to fly something like this.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Those crashtested guys are just 20 miles from me, but after looking over their instructions for the assassin and widowmaker, if the TBS wing comes pre covered and pre slotted, it would sway me to go that route. Got time to think about it since trappy's closed the preorder. How do you transport that 80" monster anyway?