New vTX and Antennas

Tahoe Ed

I just upgraded my vTx system since I broke the antenna of my previous board, 200mW 5.8gHz. What I choose this time was an ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8gHz transmitter and I upgraded both the transmitter and receiver with BluBeam circularly polarized antennas. Unfortunately I have to wait for a new connector for my GoPro to connect to this vTx. I got the vTx here: http://www.futurehobbies.com/produc...hz-transmitter-&-receivers/600mw-transmitter-[5-8ghz] and the antennas here: http://videoaerialsystems.com/products/blubeam-antenna-systems/. Both vendors were very quick in getting the products to me. I hope this will increase my range without having to resort to my patch antenna. More to follow once I get the connector.

View attachment 1440

Attachments

• 600mW vTx and BluBeam Antenna.jpg
    600mW vTx and BluBeam Antenna.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 411

Tahoe Ed

I will do so. I won't have my tracking patch antenna for another 2 weeks so it will be until then to be able to compare. I trust Alex, the maker of the circularly polarized antennas. He is well know over on RCG as IBCrazy and has published several threads on antenna builds.

Tahoe Ed

I would like to do some FPV also. I just can't make up my mind between the 1.3 gig and the 5.8 gig stuff.

Rich

Rich if you are using 2.4gHz then it would be better to us a vTx/vRx combo at a higher frequency that your RC Tx. The interference come in multiples at the lower frequencies. I have xBees for data on 2.4 and video on 5.8. I am using a 2.4 RC Transmitter but on my MK I use multiple satellite receivers. On my WKM I only use one satellite. That being said the lower frequencies have longer range that the higher frequencies. That is why I am exploring better antennas.

rwilabee

Do you think you might be able to get a least 1/2 mile on 5.8. I'm assuming that trees and other obsticals could be a problem if they get between you and the heli.

Rich if you are using 2.4gHz then it would be better to us a vTx/vRx combo at a higher frequency that your RC Tx. The interference come in multiples at the lower frequencies. I have xBees for data on 2.4 and video on 5.8. I am using a 2.4 RC Transmitter but on my MK I use multiple satellite receivers. On my WKM I only use one satellite. That being said the lower frequencies have longer range that the higher frequencies. That is why I am exploring better antennas.

Macsgrafs

I will do so. I won't have my tracking patch antenna for another 2 weeks so it will be until then to be able to compare. I trust Alex, the maker of the circularly polarized antennas. He is well know over on RCG as IBCrazy and has published several threads on antenna builds.

Ed I am also a member of FPVLAB & they have a section just for Alex's aerials, for anyone who is interested:-
http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?28-Video-Aerial-Systems

Ross

Tahoe Ed

Thanks, Ross. I have visited FPVLAB before but it has been a while. Thanks for referring us to that link and adding it to the discussion. @Rich range is such a moving target depending on atmospheric conditions, interference etc. That is why I am getting the best antenna that I can find and go from there. I have lost FPV signal at 100m with a clear line of sight with the standard whip antennas. I have also experienced FPV at 1/4 mile on the same set up without LOS. Pick your poison. I always fly with line of sight and never out of visual contact.

Macsgrafs

Ed for use on the aircraft I think a centre fed dipole is best for your distances, its less prone to fade outs when your aircraft is performing aerobatics or sharp turns...but geta decent RX antenna ;)

Ross

Tahoe Ed

Thanks, Ross. I don't do aircraft any more. I have two setting in my loft right now, you interested? I have used dipole antennas as indicated above and had mixed results. That is why I am trying the circularly polarized antennas right now. I don't know if they will help but I am willing to try.

Macsgrafs

Thanks, Ross. I don't do aircraft any more. I have two setting in my loft right now, you interested? I have used dipole antennas as indicated above and had mixed results. That is why I am trying the circularly polarized antennas right now. I don't know if they will help but I am willing to try.

Mate, I don't have any space left in my place...even got my octo on the floor behind the sofa :(
Have you tried a 5/8 wave antenna? Good low angle of radiation.

Ross

Kilby

Hey Ed,

I'm just checking in to see how this project turned out for you. I'm using the same vTX as you, but have not been able to get good results at all. Max 150-175 meters and that's it. I'm using it with a pair of FatShark goggles with the built in rx (old style). At this point, I've swapped out everything in the set up except the RX in the FatShark's, so I'm thinking that must be the problem. What RX are you using?

-Terry

Tahoe Ed

Terry:

I am using an RC 305 12v. I am having issues myself. I am not getting any video out from my GoPro. I am playing the receiver output through a pair of Visux 920 Wraps. I have a cable that was for the 200mw transmitter and it proved to have different pin locations. I redid the cable and still no video. I have one more cable that is just video out and ground. I am going to try that next. That is after I rewire the power lead to the receiver. It shorted out while I was testing. I just got a replacement but I won't be back home until tomorrow. I will let you know. If it won't work after that, then I will call the vendor. I have had better results with Chinese clones of clones. I even tried with the rubber ducky antennas with nothing. I was really disappointed last night. Tomorrow is another day and it is going to be snow and high winds so I might as well experiment to stay busy. I have some more work to do on my camera mount anyway.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Have you checked that you do in fact have video coming out of the GoPro? I had a hard timing getting that config & cable right. The one I was using was backwards and actually used the red wire inside instead of the normal yellow.

Just a thought. Good luck getting it going, and let me know how it turns out.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Ed,
Have you set the GoPro to put live video out the side?

SETTING VIDEO LIVE FEED ON / OFF
You can set your camera to send a live video signal out the side TV or HDTV ports by toggling the VIDEO
LIVE FEED setting on and off . Video Live Feed via the USB port is not supported. When Video Live Feed
is set to OFF (LFF) the camera will switch into video / photo playback mode when one of the included TV
cables are plugged into the camera. If Video Live Feed is turned on (LFO), the camera will stay in normal
camera mode when plugged into a TV and will send a live video signal to the TV. Plugging in the component
cable will send an HD video signal out from the camera, and plugging in the composite cable will send a
standard defi nition signal out from the camera. Video Live Feed On allows for plugging the camera into
wireless transmitters and TVs for live viewing from the camera. NOTE: If the component cable is used to
send live HD video out from the camera, and you begin simultaneously recording HD video to the SD card,
the live video feed will be reduced to standard defi nition as the camera cannot record and transmit HD video
at the same time. If you wish to have an HD live video feed from the camera you cannot begin recording HD
video to the SD card. If the composite cable is used to send standard defi nition video out from the camera,
then the camera can simultaneously record HD video to the SD card.
Symbol on LCD Screen Function
(default setting) Video Live Feed OFF.
Video Live Feed ON.
1. Press the SHUTTER button to toggle between the LFF / LFO choices.
2. Press the POWER/MODE button to save whichever setting is showing on the screen
and continue to the next feature option.

Good luck with it.

Bart

Tahoe Ed

Thanks Bart. I did check my set up on the GoPro and it is set for video out LFO. I tried using my Micro 5.8ghz transmitter and i am not getting any video out of it either. I am beginning to think that it may be my receiver. I cycled through all the channels and found nothing. I was thinking that transmitter was outputting on a different channel but nada. I quess I will have to buy another receiver to check. I think that I will order two since I am going to start using my EagleEyes with a patch antenna along with the cyclical antenna. It should give me good range. I will let everyone know how it goes.

kevinv033

Thanks Bart. I did check my set up on the GoPro and it is set for video out LFO. I tried using my Micro 5.8ghz transmitter and i am not getting any video out of it either. I am beginning to think that it may be my receiver. I cycled through all the channels and found nothing. I was thinking that transmitter was outputting on a different channel but nada. I quess I will have to buy another receiver to check. I think that I will order two since I am going to start using my EagleEyes with a patch antenna along with the cyclical antenna. It should give me good range. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Ed, not sure if you've figured this out...It's beena few weeks...but your BEV RC receiver is not compatible with the IRC Vtx...The module in the Vtx is airwave based and doesn't have the same channels as the Vrx :/

You'll have to get a Lawmate Vrx liek this http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_37&products_id=453

Tahoe Ed

No I didn't know. I just got a replacement transmitter from the dealer, I guess he did not know either, and bought another receiver thinking that it may be the problem. Now I have to put out another $100 for receivers so I can use my diversity tracking set up. Thanks for the info and link. It explains a lot.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ed,
I'm using a Mondo Stinger and Yellow Jacket from Iftron and I just switched over to the Blu Beam set of antennae. The performance is much better than the stock antennae that were on there. The video barely has any static and so far I've flown to about 200 to 250 yds.
Bart

kevinv033

No I didn't know. I just got a replacement transmitter from the dealer, I guess he did not know either, and bought another receiver thinking that it may be the problem. Now I have to put out another $100 for receivers so I can use my diversity tracking set up. Thanks for the info and link. It explains a lot.

Well, hopefully you can sell of the other set or use it somewhere else :/ I almost made that same mistake so when I saw your post, I was curious if you got it working.

Ed,
I'm using a Mondo Stinger and Yellow Jacket from Iftron and I just switched over to the Blu Beam set of antennae. The performance is much better than the stock antennae that were on there. The video barely has any static and so far I've flown to about 200 to 250 yds.
Bart

Sounds pretty solid. I once did about 800ft, but there was static when the antenna was slightly behind my gopro. Did you have any objects in between you and your machine? I occasionally run ImmersionRC 500mw 5.8 with Fatshark 5.8 Goggles (with Bluebeams) and if there are even tree branches between me and my tricopter or quad, it gets static. I really want to have a system so I can ditch the ground station with patch antenna, video rx, etc etc etc. Just me, my multicopter, goggles...and batteries of course.