Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

New to the FPV aspect and want to learn

Discussion in 'Racer Technical Discussions' started by Dead Reckoning, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning New Member

Dec 21, 2019
    NY USA
    Posted by Dead Reckoning, Dec 21, 2019 #1
    Hi All-

I am new to the FPV aspect of drones. I am fairly knowledgeable, or so I think, on how the video set up works. What I would like help on is setting up a decent FPV entry level race drone. I am starting from scratch here, so any and all help is appreciated. I haven't yet settled on a quad yet, but am looking at Husban, Walkera, or something similar. What I am really looking to learn about is the FPV set up. I understand the flow (camera to transmitter to receiver to either LCD screen or goggles), but I am fuzzy on the details. I know the norm is 2.4 or 5 GHz, but are all brands interchangeable? If the Tx and the Rx are both 2.4/5 GHZ will they sync up? I know when dealing with other types of cams the frequency must be exact. Can I buy a Tx from brand A and an Rx from brand B and get them to work? After that i would think the video (LCD screen or goggle) are pretty straight forward; refresh rate, 420/720/1080i etc. If anyone would not mind taking a few minutes to point me in a direction I would be most appreciative, or if you can suggest a decent set up cams, Tx/Rx boards, goggles. I don't need pro quality stuff, but I have no issues spending a few bucks to get a good stable video with no loss or dropouts. I am also willing to accept pointers on good quads for intermediate flyers and have no issues building or repairing. I have spent may hours inhaling solder fumes working on Arduinos and similar small electronics. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Chris