New Story Hexacopter Building

Hi Everybody,
So in June I learn that my job was over !!!! very bad news that I've got at 5PM just before going home...

Keep me a week to understand what happen to me... need to react and do something at 45years not to old...

So I've many passion like motorbike, skiing but RC/models it's really my passion and especially Quadcopter/UAV and so on.

After long discussion / listen / looking I jump to learn CAD tools (Autocad 2013 trial version and DraftSight) having some nights on these complex tool, also find someone who can cut FG and CF
I draw Legs for my f450 want to put a gimbal on it and after many trials it's works perfectly and the result is beautiful :) still cut for some friends for f330/450/550

View attachment 6432View attachment 6433

Next step was building an HexaCopter, because I love to have stability with 6 or 8 motors, much complex right but more exciting.
So starting with my new friend (Autocad 2013) to draw a center plate, 2 center plates and so on... the first prototype with FG and tube come on very quickly, aluminium arms, quite heavy for heavy motor but happy with that one.

View attachment 6434

Still continue to improve my drawing with Autocad or Draftsight I finalize the X6C kit,
  • New center plate (1.5mm) size 185mm
  • New battery support (1.5mm)
  • Design legs to be fixed on the arms
  • Design support a gimbal
  • Carbon Arm 330mm 16mm
  • Boom block for motor 19x16mm
Weight : 1140g with legs
Weight : 1580gr with Lipo 4S 4400mAh

View attachment 6435View attachment 6436View attachment 6437View attachment 6438View attachment 6439View attachment 6440View attachment 6441View attachment 6442

After seeing this my kids want to have one, so I starting drawing a SpiderCopter love the design and it'll be for christmas gifts :)

What next, Lot of ideas.. in my folders want to go live with my products.

Any comments I'll appreciate.
Cheers
Daniel

Attachments

• 2012-08-10 19.32.55.jpg
    2012-08-10 19.32.55.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC01530.jpg
    DSC01530.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC01642.jpg
    DSC01642.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC01656.jpg
    DSC01656.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC01664.jpg
    DSC01664.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 402
  • P1010368.jpg
    P1010368.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 421
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC01688.jpg
    DSC01688.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC01716.jpg
    DSC01716.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC01712.jpg
    DSC01712.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC01714.jpg
    DSC01714.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 425

jes1111

For a self-build that's very well executed. If you're intending to offer for sale, then I'd encourage you to go further - think "outside the box". There's dozens of "conventional" frames like this available now. Push the envelope a bit! :)

Also, you obviously have the necessary engineering skills - I'd say that the gimbal is the part most in need of some original, clever thinking and some good, old-fashioned "engineering". Part of the success of the DJI Zenmuse is that it is properly engineered from top to bottom - in spite of the sales success of all the others, IMO they are relatively poor mechanical designs. :)

Hi all
At this stage we're building the website and same time in cutting all the materials for the HexaCopter.

.....keep in touch very soon.
Cheers

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
For a self-build that's very well executed. If you're intending to offer for sale, then I'd encourage you to go further - think "outside the box". There's dozens of "conventional" frames like this available now. Push the envelope a bit! :)

Also, you obviously have the necessary engineering skills - I'd say that the gimbal is the part most in need of some original, clever thinking and some good, old-fashioned "engineering". Part of the success of the DJI Zenmuse is that it is properly engineered from top to bottom - in spite of the sales success of all the others, IMO they are relatively poor mechanical designs. :)

+1!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The truth is, I'll speak for myself, I see a mix of what looks like other's ideas all wrapped in one. I personally got a taste of how this feels when I made my DJI f450/550 legs and camera mount only to find the Chinese doing the same thing a month later. This is why patenting things is pointless since you cant protect yourself from the Chinese. The sad part is no one cares. I think if you are making this for yourself it is not a big deal but when your intent is to sell something that so closely resembles another product you are asking for trouble. Sorry to sound negative but I too own a CNC router and a full fabrication shop and love helicopters but to compete with the big boys, primarily DJI,Droidworx and Quadrocopter..... we need to come up with the next best thing. As Jess said, its really the gimbal and electronics that matter most in the end. I think the only chance for a new frame idea is to make something that can fold up small enough to fit in a suitcase and fold out to the size of something large enough to see in the air. Droidworx has something close but I still believe there are other good ideas for this to be found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi everybody,
First flight video of my X6C

After some some flights some parts of X6C will be improved and in full carbon.
Boom Clamp done by myself also for 16mm and 21mm (Next Heavy Lift Hexa Copter 90cm)

enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: