New rescue system for Multirotors

janoots2

Awesome, what I think is I want one! My immediate thought though is: I fly Dji WK, when I land and power off my motors, they don't quit immediately. If I have an issue with one motor lets say, ideally you would want to brake the motors immediately and release the chute. But if the props still spin for even two seconds, your chute could be ripped to shreds. Any thoughts on how you could program? I guess you could fail safe it, but then you'd have to choose chute over return home, right?

Kilby

I've been waiting for more development on a system like this. I don't understand how the chute is deployed though. What is the trigger? Is he manually flipping something on his radio to deploy it, or does the copter have some way of knowing when it's in trouble and it deploys automatically?

PaNt

I've been waiting for more development on a system like this. I don't understand how the chute is deployed though. What is the trigger? Is he manually flipping something on his radio to deploy it, or does the copter have some way of knowing when it's in trouble and it deploys automatically?

First of all i think that this thing must be on the center..!

Secondly if there is a mix that when you turn a switch the motors go off and the parachute open then the porps wont cut the ropes..! the props doesnt have power..

Thirdly am i right or not???! :) :) :)

Bowley

I was thinking along the same lines. mixing the chute deployment signal with throttle. or throttle cut off.

janoots2

Yeah, but for Dji I think you would have to decide if you wanted the fail safe to return home or mix the throttle cut/chute activation, due to the motors not stopping immediately.

For me, if I lost signal or orientation far enough out, I'd want to activate the return home. I think it would be a heck of a surprise to have your chute shoot out that far away. Ideally I'd want my normal return home fail safe, then a two way switch that would mix throttle cut and chute drop. Wonder if it could be done...

PaNt

I dont care about fail safe ... On failsafe of course it will return home , what about an esc failure?? There you can have a MIX only for the parachute and for the motors to go off..

Bowley

Chute deployment is a level beyond failsafe, failsafe is more dealing with loss of signal or command input and relies on a fully operable machine. this is a last resort measure, as its states, its a rescue system.
If your machine is capable of performing an RTH, then why would you want to pop the chute.

janoots2

Agreed on the fail safe, don't know why you would want to. So, the question still remains: is there a way to stop the motors immediately when the throttle is cut?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was thinking if a multi lands upside down it would do the least damage to your gimbal/camera. So if the chute attached to the bottom and had a mercury switch to activate it that it might work. Just dont flip your heli upside down otherwise :) may an arming switch to prevent false triggers when setting up.

Bowley

Loads of what if's I can think of, but I guess multirotors = multi variables and no certainty.
The one in the YT Clip was deployed from beneath. makes sense I guess as most likely its gonna flip.

janoots2

Loads of what if's I can think of, but I guess multirotors = multi variables and no certainty.
The one in the YT Clip was deployed from beneath. makes sense I guess as most likely its gonna flip.

....and the wind from the props should pull the chute out and blow it away from the craft because most likely if you need to deploy, you're in trouble and the craft is angled and moving quickly. Seems like the bottom would be best...although, not sure how it'd do with a dead drop though if it didn't flip.
Plus, if the props kept spinning, it shouldn't matter because it would be flipped dead weight by then with the chute well out of the way. You'd just have to rig the suspension lines so the craft would dangle some what centered and upside down to keep away from the props. Hmmmmmm...... something else to spend more time and money on, but I view this as insurance if done correctly!

Better video of mechanism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_FKevHzI7IM#!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why would a powered paraglider need a reserve? I could see the real ones but rc? It's fun to see these as i used to make powered paragliders 14 years ago.

I like the idea of turning the multi over, I was also thinking of a tilt switch that activated a servo driven lock which releases the cute. My thinking is more on the lines of a complete power failure and so the solution would be independent.
I found an interesting circuit using a micro switch, this could be replaced with a tilt switch. Perhaps we need a combined solution, user activated or autonomous

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-mercury-tilt-switches/6229774/?origin=PSF_421264|cav

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/as-sys.html

I was thinking if a multi lands upside down it would do the least damage to your gimbal/camera. So if the chute attached to the bottom and had a mercury switch to activate it that it might work. Just dont flip your heli upside down otherwise :) may an arming switch to prevent false triggers when setting up.

3dheliguy

Interesting... I like the Idea, Unlike a single rotor witch can Autorotate multis are like big Bricks in the air. I believe this guy activates the shoot from a swtich on his Radio when he feels the multi is out of control.

I think this would be a great device to use for safety and for protection. Now they just have to make one thats about 4 times larger for a SkyJib or Cinestar etc.

Great thinking, Thanks for posting this.