New Release: Connex HD Video Downlink 3000FT $1599.

jimska

I have just received one of these and you can only connect from the camera to the air unit directly and not through the GCU from Zenmuse gimbals. Not great IMO. Got to wonder why this wasn't sorted whilst being tested. I have an Immersion TX for FPV on the S900 and will post back if this still works whilst Connex is transmitting.

Timtim

So how is the range in 25mw mode,?
At last I got the chance to go and test the Connex. I got to 450m without any issues, even though I don't have the aerials set up correctly. As 500m is my max permitted distance and I rarely go beyond 300m, this seems pretty robust. I can't get it to work on 50Hz PAL with the GH4 though, but I'm sure this is a beta issue that will be sorted. Here's a screen grab from the GoPro I had filming the screens

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 21.00.25.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 21.00.25.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 241

jimska

At last I got the chance to go and test the Connex. I got to 450m without any issues, even though I don't have the aerials set up correctly. As 500m is my max permitted distance and I rarely go beyond 300m, this seems pretty robust. I can't get it to work on 50Hz PAL with the GH4 though, but I'm sure this is a beta issue that will be sorted. Here's a screen grab from the GoPro I had filming the screens
doesn't work at 50 Hz? Is Amimon a DJI subsidiary?

scotth

I have just received one of these and you can only connect from the camera to the air unit directly and not through the GCU from Zenmuse gimbals. Not great IMO. Got to wonder why this wasn't sorted whilst being tested. I have an Immersion TX for FPV on the S900 and will post back if this still works whilst Connex is transmitting.
I don't think there was a question it wouldn't work through the slip rings.. though there was a suggestion they were trying to sort that out. There is a pinout of sorts on the DJI plugs but I'm not smart enough to know whether it's a standard digital video signal or some wonky proprietary DJI thing. Would love to see that fixed too. Until then, count the turns and don't forget to unwind.

jimska

I don't think there was a question it wouldn't work through the slip rings.. though there was a suggestion they were trying to sort that out. There is a pinout of sorts on the DJI plugs but I'm not smart enough to know whether it's a standard digital video signal or some wonky proprietary DJI thing. Would love to see that fixed too. Until then, count the turns and don't forget to unwind.
I've been told they're working on it so we'll see soon enough. I do hope somebody can come up with a solution in the meantime, there are some smart guys out there.

Timtim

I can confirm from yesterday's test flights that having a 5.8ghz FPV/pilot's camera transmitting as well as the Connex is no problem. I got a perfect image on both screens throughout.

Timtim

A few pix from yesterday afternoon's session. The setup needs a bit of re-organisation...

Attachments

• timandrew_360-5764.jpg
    timandrew_360-5764.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 276
  • timandrew_360-5767.jpg
    timandrew_360-5767.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 380
  • timandrew_360-5770.jpg
    timandrew_360-5770.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 352
  • timandrew_360-5774.jpg
    timandrew_360-5774.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 269
  • timandrew_360-5785.jpg
    timandrew_360-5785.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 224
  • timandrew_360-5790.jpg
    timandrew_360-5790.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 229
  • timandrew_360-5799.jpg
    timandrew_360-5799.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 265
  • timandrew_360-5815.jpg
    timandrew_360-5815.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 283

jdennings

I think I am sold ... The only comparable product in that price range seems to be the latest Paralinx Triton, doubt it can match the range with board antennas ....
Timtim, what HD monitor do you use?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hi Timtim - how do you get around the problem of panning 360˚without getting the HDMI cable (or the antennas) twisted?

I've been doing this with a GH4 on my Zen GH3 gimbal for a while. Just let it calibrate and then plug in the HDMI cable.
I have rarely gone more than 1 time around 360 deg during a shoot. also with a super THIN HDMI cable, and a little slack 2 - 3 times won;t even bind it up.

Timtim

Hi Timtim - how do you get around the problem of panning 360˚without getting the HDMI cable (or the antennas) twisted?

It's a bit inconvenient not being able to go more than about 450º in either direction, but not really a problem. I turn the gimbal 360º clockwise (seen from above) before turning on the machine, knowing it will unwind to a neutral position on initialisation.

scotth

That's a good idea. How do you power the Connex if attached to gimbal? Would be fairly easy to make something similar
I've emailed them that question as well. If you're not somehow plugging in to the gimbal's power and need to add a battery on to the back of the Connex, that will add another 100g to the 130g already there, assuming a battery that lasts an hour (they say it draws 5W). The Zenmuse is so picky about balance... will this affect the pan motor swinging that extra weight out there? Though maybe there's voltage on the unused socket right there.

jimska

A few pix from yesterday afternoon's session. The setup needs a bit of re-organisation...
Hi Tim, just spotted your power connections on the S900. See you got rid of the AS150 connectors and split the cable, was it difficult to split?