New MaxAmps Battery Damaged or Not?

cbpagent72

I have a brand new 8000mAH 6S battery pack that I am unsure if the cells are damaged or not after about a 4 ft fall. I haven't even used it yet, I was just testing out the position on my new (still building) SkyJib Super 6 Ti QR and I accidentally lost my grip and dropped the pack on the floor. I would hate to be out $300 just for making a stupid mistake. Is there anyway to check the integrity of the pack and possibly salvage it? Thanks.

View attachment 14280View attachment 14281View attachment 14282View attachment 14283View attachment 14284

Attachments

• MaxAmps.jpg
    MaxAmps.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 251
  • MaxAmps2.jpg
    MaxAmps2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 241
  • MaxAmps3.jpg
    MaxAmps3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 225
  • MaxAmps4.jpg
    MaxAmps4.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 395
  • MaxAmps5.jpg
    MaxAmps5.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 283

cfrea

If the battery starts getting warm immediately take it outside.

Get a voltage checker to check all the cells. Then take it outside and try charging it. It should be fine. Just be careful with that pack though for the rest of its life.

cbpagent72

If the battery starts getting warm immediately take it outside.

Get a voltage checker to check all the cells. Then take it outside and try charging it. It should be fine. Just be careful with that pack though for the rest of its life.

I had it in lipo bag all night and opened it this morning and there wasn't any visible changes. I haven't tried charging it. It has never had a full charge just a storage charge. I have a multimeter, how do you go about checking each individual cell?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

tstrike

pendejo grande
Check and see if your charger has a screen that reads all the cells voltage, or use your voltage meter and check through your balance plug. That would truly SUCK if anything happened to it considering it was destined to fly, sorta like Evil Knievel dying on the toilet. Here's hoping!

soler

Most Lipo's have some padding around the corners, I suspect you will be safe. Check the voltages when charging and look for any puffing of the lipo. If it stats to puff then you are our of luck.

cbpagent72

Check and see if your charger has a screen that reads all the cells voltage, or use your voltage meter and check through your balance plug. That would truly SUCK if anything happened to it considering it was destined to fly, sorta like Evil Knievel dying on the toilet. Here's hoping!

I have a Hyperion Duo charger and I believe that it has that capability. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Dropped mine numerous times. If the lipo doesn't swell and heat up immediately charge discharge a couples of times supervised and your are good to go.

JoshMaxAmps

You can always contact MaxAmps as well and we would be happy to test out the pack. If it does have any functionality issues let us know. On a brand new pack we can in some cases replace a bad bank. Either way the pros here would be happy to assist you in any way possible. The pictures are inconclusive in regards to functionality. I have seen some in far worse condition that worked perfectly and some that have had similar damage and puff. Likely with that small of a fall you should be fine but as the others have mentioned if you cycle the pack at home be there during the entire process periodically inspecting the pack for heat buildup or swelling. If either occur take it outside. It should not be a fire risk at all unless it sat for a long period swelling on the charger but safety first. Take pictures if this occurs. The Duo charger does have a cycle and cell monitor features. Again give us a call and we will walk you through this process. Toll free 888 654 4450.

cbpagent72

I emailed MaxAmps about the issue and they offered to replace the damaged cell for me if I ship it back to them because the pack is brand new/unused. That was a huge relief. Awesome customer service MaxAmps.

cbpagent72

I emailed MaxAmps about the issue and they offered to replace the damaged cell for me if I ship it back to them because the pack is brand new/unused. That was a huge relief. Awesome customer service MaxAmps.

Some closure to this thread, MaxAmps contacted me today and stated that they had checked my damaged battery and while it did test okay it did have some visible damage and they recommended replacing the cells. The cost was about $90.00 to replace the damaged cells, not free but then again I damaged the pack. I still have yet to use them and I will report back on whether or not the packs are worth the cost once I get my new SkyJib airborne.