New from Wisconsin

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yes, they are. And the red should be in front of the craft, the green in the rear - so green facing you when you lift off.

Well, success! Put three battery packs thru it tonight, got it about 50ft off the ground but mainly just kinda hovered around with it to get a feel for it.. Loiter mode works pretty good, didn't really test the other modes yet. I noticed that when it's in Stabalize mode I have to constantly work the sticks to keep it in one place, no matter what I did to the trim. Not sure what that's about. Does anybody have any information on what I should be setting my radio settings to for this?

Also, is there some kind of wireless telemetry that would plug into the USB on the copter and transmit to a receiver that would be hooked up to my laptop?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What do you mean by "how the radio should be set up for this."

Since it's based on APM, you would be able to get some pretty detailed telemetry running, but it would require opening up the body to access the flight controller. Probably have to drill some holes as well. It would not be connected via USB on the MR.

You can see an example HERE: I would do some research though, and certainly open the body to make sure you have all the room you'd need to access the ports etc.

I mean like when I set my radio up for my blade 350. Throttle curves and mixes and stuff like that. My radio doesn't do telemetry. I've seen where guys have set it up to wirelessly connect it to their groundstations. That way they have a working vertical horizon and a GPS location visible on a map. Basically they see what I see when I physically have it hooked up to my laptop thru the usb.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The product I linked will give you telemetry to the laptop. Also, you can make changes to the FC wirelessly with that hookup.

As far as the radio - that really depends on what you like. Mess around with some settings to get it to perform the way you are comfortable with.

EDIT: Sorry, you got the BNF version that comes with the radio? If so, you may be limited in what you can adjust.

I got the PNF version and picked up the Turnigy 9X. I thought about getting the version that comes with the radio but then I wanted the ability to use the radio for other things cause I'm considering getting back into airplanes as well and maybe other multi rotors (I like this one so much after flying it just three battery packs that at some point I want to build my own bigger one :) ).

And now that I look at the link you posted I found these last night when I was trying to find how people did it so that confirms to me that's how it's done. Thanks.

EDIT: Can this be used to also wirelessly send video to a ground station too?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think you made the right move getting a separate radio. I can't imagine the quality of the one that comes with the BNF is that good. You can definitely dial in the expo the way you have done on the Blade 350 (???) - and other settings that are really down to preference.

The telemetry modules will not transmit video. That is a whole different ball of wax. Do some searching for video transmitters & receivers - often found in the FPV sections. You will need a host of things to get video coming back to the ground, including: VTX, TRX, antennas, camera, goggles or monitor etc...

Actually, from what I understand the radio that it comes with is a pretty decent radio. For instance, my radio won't do PPM. I have to change out the modules in order to get PPM. The stock radio for this comes with PPM. At some point I'll pick up the FrSky module for it to get PPM but for now what I have gets the job done pretty good. I know what I need in order to get a live video feed I was just curious if this transmitter would work with live video. I've seen transmitters and receivers for live video just didn't know if this was one of them. Thanks guys.