Hoverfly New firmware for HoverflyPRO+GPS

hoverben

Person of Interest
Firmware version 4.6r3 is now available for both the HoverflyPRO and HoverflyGPS.

This version corrects a reported issue which can cause the Auto Level feature to perform poorly. While the issue is rare, we strongly recommend that all users upgrade their firmware as soon as possible.

Remember: an issue you can prevent is an issue that won't cost you time and money to fix later!

yeehaanow

I'm on 4.6r2.

Several times, I have armed the normal way, taken off with AL on and the bird flies like it's on manual with a very low gain setting. I call it, the drunk sailor.
I thought the cause was that it moved a little while arming. From wind or my camera op moving the mount. But one time I was SURE it was dead still.
Is this the issue that r3 is supposed to cure?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i just loaded and flew a version of the R3 GPS update. i was told it was a beta but i'm not sure as there's an R3 publicly available. GPS was definitely batter, it stayed within a smaller area and looked to be more interested than before in participating in the flight. :)

i'm trying to find out which version i've loaded but it's definitely better. my heli should probably get the full 4.6R3 update, new calibrations, and then try again in a more open area to really see how much better it is.

bart

Razzil

I upgraded from an older firmware version, selected R3, completed successful, but says R2 ... any reason?
The board and gps has never seen 4.6 R2 before so it updated, but its saying R2 instead of R3.
Open a ticket? or any recomendations?

Razzil

Soo ... you'll bang your hammers on your end, then let me know when to reflash or view again?

Is there any way to actually tell the GPS version? Can't bang your hammers and add that feature can ya? haha

Efliernz

Pete
Remember: an issue you can prevent is an issue that won't cost you time and money to fix later!

I'm sorry for saying this out loud at work and laughing... when 4.6r2 cost me $2k on two machines (and 1 x destroyed camera) while very slowly descending in AL.

I am however enjoying 4.3.802 reliably again... everyone - feel free to beta-test this for me ;)

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm on 4.6r2.

Several times, I have armed the normal way, taken off with AL on and the bird flies like it's on manual with a very low gain setting. I call it, the drunk sailor.
I thought the cause was that it moved a little while arming. From wind or my camera op moving the mount. But one time I was SURE it was dead still.
Is this the issue that r3 is supposed to cure?

mine did that yesterday on my first gig,,,,, thought i lost my touch,,,,, unplugged, let it rest, it flew fine after re arming. that was on 4.6

the hex that went ballistic the other day with AL on and turned on altitude hold was 4.6v2....

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ben, is there any noticeable benefit over 8.02? I still don't see taking any risks without a significant GPS improvement. The previous firmware is not able to get any better IMHO.

I've made some changes in our hardware so it is hard to say how much effect the new firmware has had. The Cinestar is flying good though so I'm happy.

hoverben

Person of Interest
Ben, is there any noticeable benefit over 8.02? I still don't see taking any risks without a significant GPS improvement. The previous firmware is not able to get any better IMHO.

The new firmware version is essentially a patch for a PRO Auto-Level issue that we found in testing. It's very rare - only one case of it occurring outside our testing - but it's better to fix it before it causes any trouble. GPS function should be the same as the previous version, but since the firmware checks that the versions are identical, it has to be updated as well.

I believe the version that Bart refers to testing was the next planned version, including GPS improvements. It will need a re-number due to this patch.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
thanks for the reply. I feel since nothing has happened yet over so many flights (knock on wood), that I would be increasing my odds of something happening by having to re-flash and re-calibrate. I am fearful of change I guess. Now if the GPS could lock on to sats in a minute and hold a tight position then it would be a go for me! :) I'm actually contemplating just taking the GPS off as 90% of my shots are a "now now now" thing. Car is on the move! Get her up. I cant wait 6 minutes to see the red light stop flashing. And since it doesnt really hold I only use it as a back up for an oh **** moment where I might lose orientation. Which is a nice feature to have. Hmmm. Maybe I'll hold out and see what changes evolve over the year.

Last edited by a moderator: