New EVO on the bench, observations

danproud

I finally have my S800 EVO after waiting 3 months! Crazy. Anyway, it all looks like good gear. Props seem a bit flimsy but I guess they'll do the trick.

I haven't done any work on it yet, but one thing I've noticed looks really odd. The motors sit on a funny angle from the arms. There are little rubber dampeners below the motors, that are mounted 2 different ways up. I'm not sure if it's done on purpose? the images on their website don't show these rubber dampeners at all. Here's a pic.

ja5ezaja.jpg

Can someone else with a EVO tell me if theirs is the same? Or different?

maxwelltub

That's normal, the first s800 had little shims under the motors as well, not as pronounced as this, but it's part of the design.

cfrea

Completely normal I noticed that on mine and freaked out. Then realized its like that on purpose.

By the way, is it very difficult to lock the airframe onto the landing gears? When I try to spin the 6 tabs to hold the arms in place it requires so much force!

View attachment 13904

Attachments

• s800_evo_009.jpg
    s800_evo_009.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited by a moderator:

Topflight

Completely normal I noticed that on mine and freaked out. Then realized its like that on purpose.

By the way, is it very difficult to lock the airframe onto the landing gears? When I try to spin the 6 tabs to hold the arms in place it requires so much force!

View attachment 17550
Mine were hard to lock into the frame. Never did feel or hear a definitive click to let me know they were locked in. Don't push to hard or you'll snap the lever. Think I read somewhere that the lever goes down to 35 degrees

cfrea

Mine were hard to lock into the frame. Never did feel or hear a definitive click to let me know they were locked in. Don't push to hard or you'll snap the lever. Think I read somewhere that the lever goes down to 35 degrees

Hey I meant the other piece that you spin to lock the arms in place

Hey I meant the other piece that you spin to lock the arms in place

When you locate the airframe over the landing frame, the damping unit (part no. SE032803) can rotate.
It has to line up EXACTLY with a small notch on the underside of the airframe, it's quite difficult, but once they are lined up the piece you spin should rotate 90 degrees quite easily..

I had a minor accident with my EVO :) and I am finding it impossible to get any spare parts, such as an ESC (red) ,part no. SE010501R
I don't want to fly it with a faulty ESC and it is very frustrating to have paid such a large amount of money for a machine with no spare parts available!
Anyway, good luck with your EVO!

cfrea

When you locate the airframe over the landing frame, the damping unit (part no. SE032803) can rotate.
It has to line up EXACTLY with a small notch on the underside of the airframe, it's quite difficult, but once they are lined up the piece you spin should rotate 90 degrees quite easily..

I'm doing that but still have difficulty tightening some :(

cfrea

:livid: Dam DJI I can't believe the revised the EVO with different units. I sure would be upset if I just bought one but got one with the older shims. Maybe you should contact DJI and explain you want the updated ones that have absorbers

DJI say in the S800 EVO user guide that if you have difficulty closing the snaps that hold the arms to the centre-piece, you should use some lubricant! Maybe it's the same for the damping fasteners...

cfrea

DJI say in the S800 EVO user guide that if you have difficulty closing the snaps that hold the arms to the centre-piece, you should use some lubricant! Maybe it's the same for the damping fasteners...

Thanks Louis what page in the manual do you see this ?

No, but as I say, I have to align the damper unit EXACTLY on the underside of the arm, so that a small metal bit lines up properly - I usually have trouble doing it and have to physically look up underneath as I align it - then it turns no problem...

boranup

cfrea 2 of mine are quite tight - ongoing use they will loosen, may need pliers to assist with first couple of uses

Rainman

That's normal, the first s800 had little shims under the motors as well, not as pronounced as this, but it's part of the design.

Correct, it's called 'side thrust' as individual rotor-torque starts to become more of an issue as you go up in prop size. Anyone that's flown fixed-wing RC will be aware of the requirement of the firewall of their model being at a slight angle, and also anyone that flies RC heli's will also be aware of their main rotor being tilted slightly to one side. This is exactly the same. The side-thrust will increase stability in flight, particularly when you're not just hovering.

deluge2

I think it's a little different for multirotor vs. non-coaxial heli or fixed wing. The latter two examples will have roll or yaw from the single, unopposed rotating prop. However with most multirotor setups, there are equal numbers of props rotating in each direction, so there's no net torque that needs to be nulled. The angle motors of a hex will be 3 cw in one direction and 3 ccw in the other. These provide improved 'yaw authority' for the FC to either maintain heading, or change heading, as needed.

Steve

Correct, it's called 'side thrust' as individual rotor-torque starts to become more of an issue as you go up in prop size. Anyone that's flown fixed-wing RC will be aware of the requirement of the firewall of their model being at a slight angle, and also anyone that flies RC heli's will also be aware of their main rotor being tilted slightly to one side. This is exactly the same. The side-thrust will increase stability in flight, particularly when you're not just hovering.

Rainman

I think it's a little different for multirotor vs. non-coaxial heli or fixed wing. The latter two examples will have roll or yaw from the single, unopposed rotating prop. However with most multirotor setups, there are equal numbers of props rotating in each direction, so there's no net torque that needs to be nulled. The angle motors of a hex will be 3 cw in one direction and 3 ccw in the other. These provide improved 'yaw authority' for the FC to either maintain heading, or change heading, as needed.

Steve

Well yes, I was over-simplifying things. Whatever you want to call it it's still side-thrust, and as I aluded to it's more about stability when the equilibrium of torque is not being actively maintained by matched performance of CW and CCW rotating props, ie when it's not merely hovering. Without the side-thrust the airframe would be likely to be fairly twitchy.