New! DJI A2 GPS Pro Plus Exchange program

Art Morrison

Well, I sent my A2 GPS module in via the trade-in program to DJI in California. They said I should have the new one in about 2 weeks. Out of curiosity I thought I would see if the A2 could be flown without a GPS module in ATTI mode (I obviously have no patience). Motors would not start. The LED gives a nice yellow repeating burst of about 5 flashes. They were too fast to really count. I saw a post that someone had flown their WKM controller without its GPS module and had hopes the A2 could also. Its going to be a long 2 weeks.....

gael

Hi, i receive my new GPS. I was in firmware 2.1.
I try to update but i have an issue. The GPS don't appear on the drawing... And when i throw the "upgrade all" nothing go on. The assistant stay at 0%

Have you an idea ?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1422895832.339491.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1422895832.339491.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 256
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1422895845.926805.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1422895845.926805.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 253

Art Morrison

I would make sure it is on canbus 1, if that doesn't work, backup your configuration and reset to default. Then try upgrading. Once you are up on the latest firmware hopefully you can restore from the backup. You may have to unlock the controller after the upgrade too. No guarantees, just my thoughts. I think A2 assistant 1.4 is the latest.

Art Morrison

I am thinking the new firmware is the key to getting recognition of the GPS Pro Plus module. Try upgrading without the GPS module plugged in. If that doesn't work, try upgrading one component at a time, If that fails you might try another computer (PC rather than mac). Maybe you can borrow a laptop. That's about all I can think of right now.

gael

I though the same thing. The GPS is the key.
I have tried without the gps.

I'm going to try on a another pc and a another mac too. Thanks

gael

That's it ! Change computer solve the upgrading problem and i can see the GPS on the diagram now. Thanks !

Tahoe Ed

I check this before. Gps is on can 1 and i reset to default before trying the upgrade....

@Tahoe Ed

You have to power cycle the A2 and then it should show up. I remember on the beta units we had a similar issue. I will not have my production unit until tomorrow.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The GPS Pro Plus will remain greyed out until firmware is updated to v2.4, at which point everything can be updated.

Hey guys.
My GPS pro finally made it to the tech today. He sent me an email with the invoice and after a short interlude with PayPal my new GPS Pro Plus was sent to the shipping department!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Don't get too excited. When it arrives you will have to update the firmware for it to be recognised and then re-enter all parameters. Best to zero the whole lot and start from scratch. Then you will have some relatively endless buggering around to get the compass calibrated and to disable the stupid airport restrictions, neither of which are simple or quick.

I am only trying this GPS puck because the EVO did some weird stuff and in all that reported A2 nonsense it was the GPS that was suspected as the source. IF the stupid thing will calibrate and IF the restrictions can be disabled I will keep it and then never upgrade again because successive firmware updates will become increasingly draconian as DJI attempt to appease the FAA with a facade of responsibility by addressing the idiocy of the stupid turds who buy Phantoms and the like and then try to outdo some other stupid turd on YouTube.

Banked Turns, Home Fence and Flight Restrictions and Intelligent Retracts are for the idiots. The ability to quickly recalibrate an IMU in the field or adjust its damping characteristics, or to reset or change the centre point of an axis or adjust the speed of travel or start/stop on a Zenmuse are proper useful tools that are simply not made available.

I have advocated for some time a Flight Control system with dual parameter sections. By default certain features and parameters would either be hidden or simply locked but would be enabled with a code entry only given to professional operators. DJI could then include a hell of a lot more adjustable parameters for that more experienced fraternity.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
all worthwhile suggestions but I"m wondering to what degree DJI even wants to continue serving the flight controller market. considering the A2 is supposed to be a "flagship" system it's been a horrible couple of years as we've waited for it to become fully functioning.

i'm still shaking my head at the thought of $180 for a new GPS puck after paying full price for a system that included GPS. class-action lawsuits have been won in the US over lesser offenses!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I certainly do not disagree. It's scam to make customers pay to replace a purchased item that did not quite cut it. It was the same with the ESC's, the flexi-booms, the WKM IMU.

By the way, for anyone using a Mac with Parallels to run Windows, there is a problem with the Disable Airport Limit function. The little checkbox that you have to tick when you agree to the warning does not appear. Therefore you cannot Check It and the OK button remains greyed out.

Use the iPhone app and it all works.

My GPS Pro Plus showed up Friday. I was invoiced only 100 dollars (maybe due to in warranty status)
I installed it over the weekend and so far, knock on my wooden head, I have not had any issues getting the Assistant to see it and talk to it. It picks up 8 satellites, in my garage in 8 seconds, which is pretty impressive...
View attachment 23568

I understand the frustration of believing in a product enough to risk what we risk in the air, Big Money and Big Ego's. There is the thrill of victory and the crushing defeat of crashing...and then there is the betrayal and bitter embaressment when a manufacture doesn't live up to its hype or (worse) they discontinue support of Your beloved (fill in the Blank)!!
I've been thru the XAircraft mill and have watched the WKM saga and felt that the A2 was mature enough to jump in... So far it has lived up to my humble expectations. Hardware is always going to be upgraded and that, unfortunately, leaves the last revision in the dust bin... I found that hard to take, at first. The new stuff, on the whole, works better but has its accompanying baggage of issues that get discovered...
Progress, yes no maybe? If its Progress because of breakthrough technology, then great, but if it is Progress along a marketing map, ala Adobe, then I dump the offender ASAP...

So far with DJI, I am personally satisfied and I feel safer flying their product so I'll fly this until some jug head designs something better and cheaper.

My .02 worth

Bob

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-2_7-52-18.png
    upload_2015-3-2_7-52-18.png
    568.2 KB · Views: 356