Aeronavics / Droidworx New Build Planned - SkyJib-X4 Heavy Retractable

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Ches the zenmuse is actually designed to work with the flight lipo up to 6a. This is will power your RX and vtx. I Personally don't see any benefit of using a secondary lipo in this case !

Boris

Cheshirecat

Hi Yep understand the Zen can handle the 6S and I could use a BEC to power the Rx, I am also planning to put on iOSD and Video Tx and thinking about the current draw on the flight packs eating into flight time and therefore better to power these separately from a compact 4S LiPo.........Thanks.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Yep understand the Zen can handle the 6S and I could use a BEC to power the Rx, I am also planning to put on iOSD and Video Tx and thinking about the current draw on the flight packs eating into flight time and therefore better to power these separately from a compact 4S LiPo.........Thanks.

You dont need a bec to power the RX. Either the MC from the WKM or the GCU of the Zenmuse both can power the RX, thus in case of a two RX setup both are powered ! VTX also gets powered either from the IOSD or the GCU of the zenmuse !

The amount of flight time you will safe will be minimal if at all noticeable. IN return you will have much more wiring to do and two lipos to take care of instead of one. 1000wm VTX will be arround 1A draw. Never measured the current of the zenmuse but i think it will be similar or less than the brushless gimbals, thus max draw will be 2A. RX very little. So I guess a question of taste but for 3A little more it would be a hassle for me to hook up another lipo.

In case of the IOSD powering it from another lipo you have to watch out since all WKM components are link via can-bus power wise. So bringing in another lipo could be an issue i would ask DJI before trying it !

Boris

Cheshirecat

Hi
All my DJI kit has arrived and the SJ is due anyday now. So i have been researching which ESC to use and keep coming back to insisting on the best quality here rather than plain old cost. The Herkules III keeps bobbing to the top of the choices, i have pinged an e-mail of to Andreas to enquire about how i get at one or when it is officially released.
How are you getting on with yours? would you buy it again? i know they aint cheap but actually only have a rough idea of the price....

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
Hi
All my DJI kit has arrived and the SJ is due anyday now. So i have been researching which ESC to use and keep coming back to insisting on the best quality here rather than plain old cost. The Herkules III keeps bobbing to the top of the choices, i have pinged an e-mail of to Andreas to enquire about how i get at one or when it is officially released.
How are you getting on with yours? would you buy it again? i know they aint cheap but actually only have a rough idea of the price....

I would recommend the Herk 100% - it's not cheap, but when you take into account the cost of 8 quality ESC's like Castle Creations Ice 75's, the power distribution boards and the required wiring/rats nest - the Herk starts to seem like good value.

Build quality is sublime, firmware works great, active freewheeling and telemetry options etc.

In terms of price, with the beta test discount mine was about £900 + VAT and £85 + VAT for the telemetry board...

I will definitely buy another for my second Skyjib.

Steve

Cheshirecat

I would recommend the Herk 100% - it's not cheap, but when you take into account the cost of 8 quality ESC's like Castle Creations Ice 75's, the power distribution boards and the required wiring/rats nest - the Herk starts to seem like good value.

Build quality is sublime, firmware works great, active freewheeling and telemetry options etc.

In terms of price, with the beta test discount mine was about £900 + VAT and £85 + VAT for the telemetry board...

I will definitely buy another for my second Skyjib.

Steve
Thanks, hopefully Andreas will get back to me on availability... "Second SkyJib" One on each hip huh?

jdennings

Awesome build, thanks for all the info and pics.
What wire gauge are you using to the motors? 14?
I've seen as little as 16 on like builds but that seems a bit undersized given esc/Herc board. And 12 definitely feels overkill/heavy?

Cheshirecat

Hi Steve

Is your Herkules on a 100mm or 150mm Heatsink, i don't have the frame yet as a reference but like the idea of maximum cooling surface area. I see the DW Power Dist board is 185 X 200 X 35 mm (which is rather odd given it is basically circular) so looks like 150mm will be OK.

Thanks

baja-king

Hi Steve

Is your Herkules on a 100mm or 150mm Heatsink, i don't have the frame yet as a reference but like the idea of maximum cooling surface area. I see the DW Power Dist board is 185 X 200 X 35 mm (which is rather odd given it is basically circular) so looks like 150mm will be OK.

Thanks

Went with the 150mm... I recommend the larger dome which you should get if you've ordered a Ti Skyjib

baja-king

Awesome build, thanks for all the info and pics.
What wire gauge are you using to the motors? 14?
I've seen as little as 16 on like builds but that seems a bit undersized given esc/Herc board. And 12 definitely feels overkill/heavy?

I'm pretty sure that the 3515 motors are 16 gauge - I used 14 gauge for the Herk motor connections...

Cheshirecat

I was looking at your pictures relating to mounting the Herkules, it looks like you put it up on stand offs from the upper centre plate and then mounted the electronics deck on the Herkules heatsink. Did you use the original nylon stand offs on the heatsink and how much clearance did the bottom PCB on the Herkules need, mine is still in transit but want to order the parts I need.

baja-king

I was looking at your pictures relating to mounting the Herkules, it looks like you put it up on stand offs from the upper centre plate and then mounted the electronics deck on the Herkules heatsink. Did you use the original nylon stand offs on the heatsink and how much clearance did the bottom PCB on the Herkules need, mine is still in transit but want to order the parts I need.

Hi Ches, I used these http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/black-nylon-spacer-m3-x-20-male-to-female.html

I found that when it was complete I needed to raise the height of the dome slightly (based on my electronics) so I used these from RS:

View attachment 12628View attachment 12629View attachment 12630

They make it easier to remove the dome and allow more ventilation...

If you PM me your addy I'll happily send you 4 of the RS one for nowt :)

Attachments

• photo-16.jpg
    photo-16.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 206
  • photo-15.jpg
    photo-15.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 346
  • photo-14.jpg
    photo-14.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 225

Cheshirecat

Hi Steve. Thanks for your very kind offer, appreciated. I have loads of 10/15 and 20mm Brass Spacers. I shall arm myself with some Nylon ones ready for the Herk which hopefully will arrive early next week, I can get on laying out the electronics then. Thanks very much.

Cheshirecat

Hi Steve

More questions i am affraid.
Yout T-Props are 15X5.5 right?, where did you buy them i am finding a reliable source of T-Motor stuff really difficult. It seem s like their route to market is less than well oiled.

baja-king

Hi Steve

More questions i am affraid.
Yout T-Props are 15X5.5 right?, where did you buy them i am finding a reliable source of T-Motor stuff really difficult. It seem s like their route to market is less than well oiled.

Email Bartosz at Multirotor in Poland
sales@multirotor.co

He has just had a large delivery I think,
Ordered mine from him, he accepts PayPal and it is €20 for shipping...

Suggest that you get some spares as they are hard to get hold of

Steve

Cheshirecat

Thanks, I did order these from Stock RC in Spain and online the webby said yep yep all in stock no worries, so out I checked and paid. Transpires that they did not in fact have 8 (Only 2 pairs):sorrow: Hmmmpf!! I will checkout Multirotor. On a positive note my Herkules III arrived.. Yay but I think the comprehensive manual fell out somewhere over the English Channel and I am a bit thin on clues as to how this sets up with A WK-M. I could not find on Andreas web site where you register an account so I can download the config tools and firmware either any pointers?? :dread: View attachment 12658

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 349