New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

nicwilke

I think we may have something good to put on our multirotors shortly. I'm hoping this unit does 60+fps. Funny they are using a lumix lens in the product shot.
BMCC_zpsb71f76bb.jpg

hjls3

Certainly has me interested. If I have learned anything when it comes to buying this stuff or upgrading firmware - it is wait a bit and let a few units get out there. However, if it 60fps is on the table - I might just have to jump on it. AM I correct in thinking that the small fleet of NEX lens I have sitting on my desk, could be used with this???

adanac

As a RED owner I have avoided the full-sized Black Magic camera for obvious reasons, but this appears to be a major step because of size.

The highest frame rate is 30fps so this will not be a slo-mo camera so it may not be, for many people, the ideal thing to fly. However, insofar as it's essentially an interchangeable lens point and shoot that shoots 1080 RAW and Pro-res and records to off-the-shelf cards at high bit rates, it's a new animal. If I had just bought a Canon 5DM3 solely for video I'd be worried right now. This has the potential to shake up that part of the market.

If I don't need to shoot 4K I'd fly this far sooner than my RED. I need to read more about it to determine what manual settings it has.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Id be happier with global shutter than 60fps. You can get beautiful smooth video at 24 fps. What you cant do obviously is slow it down, at all. 30 fps is still a good # though if your rig is tuned well. With that said, even at 60fps, jello can occur on a bad day. But with GS your post stabilization software would be so much more effective. It's highly unlikely were at that stage yet. Id give it another 5 years before small cameras have this standard. One thing is for certain, cameras will only get better, smaller and cheaper. DJI will be selling phantoms with Chinese RED knock-offs for $500 at Costco in a few years, watch.

Engadget article gave ship date as July, but if anybody remembers last year that date is most likely subject to...ermmm...change. Video quality aside, a huge benefit is going to be all the glass available for this. Old Nikon/Olympus lenses go for nothing on ebay .

Last edited by a moderator:

adanac

It's unlikely any Chinese company will give me what I get from owning my RED overall, but I get your point. Things are moving quickly. I didn't see this little camera coming. I was going to get a GH2 or GH3 but I'll likely get the Blackmagic instead. Looking forward to seeing reviews.

adanac

So far, Blackmagic appears to be serious about holding a good hand in this game, so I would hope the release date will be on time.

Yeah, lots of lenses for this, including some of those great old Russian/East German ones with the kooky bokeh I love so much.

Engadget article gave ship date as July, but if anybody remembers last year that date is most likely subject to...ermmm...change. Video quality aside, a huge benefit is going to be all the glass available for this. Old Nikon/Olympus lenses go for nothing on ebay .

sfpuk

I will be using my BMPCC for video production work and the Gopro3 for UAV footage so i still have access to high fps for slo mo.

adanac

I like my HD3 - it's a fun camera. I just don't really care for the quality and am not sure how many clients I'd be able to sell it to.

I will be using my BMPCC for video production work and the Gopro3 for UAV footage so i still have access to high fps for slo mo.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Preordered it.

Any you but any thoughts in yet what would be a nice lens for it, for aerial work ?

Thanks

Boris

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I'm thinking of the Sigma 19mm which is not too expensive or the Lumix 7-14 that I already have from my AF100 camera.

rsun

I am thinking the Lumix 12-35 HD that came with my GH3..

Where are the best place to preorder in Europe/US...

Thanks

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah i will just try to try my two lumix pancakes first before pressing the buy bottom again and see what it brings ! I was tempted though to look
for somthing nice in the retro lens sector ah lets see.

Rsun I got mine from the first listed reseller from the BM site, in germany !

http://www.medienwerkstatt-shop.de/epages/61448844.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61448844/Categories/%22Blackmagic%20Design%22

No downpayment before he has it in stock, only reversed than you get an email once he has it and pay. I seemed reasonable instead of paying now and with the
track record of Blackmagic having to wait 3/4 of a year

Boris