new and suffering from info overload....

got wake?

Hi all, I'm completely new to RC flying machines. But I have decided I want a quad or hex copter. I will be primarily using it for filming paintball practices and tournaments, so the requirements are pretty basic:

1) Waypoints
2) RTH ability
3) 10 minute minimum run time, but longer would be better (I plan to buy several spare batteries)
4) RTF (I don't really want to build it. Got too many other projects going on right now)
5) Stable enough for a GoPro 3
6) Under a grand, with remote

The basic function will be to fly straight up, over a net to the center of the field, hover during the match, fly back over the net, then land. Autopilot would be great so I can have someone else run it when I'm playing.

Right now an Arducopter looks to fit my needs pretty well, but I'd like some input from experienced people.

Thanks!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Cant really comment on the Ardrucopter as I aint tried one but for a beginner I would say it would be a real time eater. Best go for something simple to start with like the Phantom.

Dave

gtranquilla

RadioActive
IMHO - go with a large Quadrocopter which will allow you to use more efficient 22 pole motors and longer props at a lower rpm...... optimizes airtime efficiency and also helps to keep the noise level down to a manageable level. A same size hex will force you to go with smaller props and higher rpm which is lower efficiency and noisy.

Hi all, I'm completely new to RC flying machines. But I have decided I want a quad or hex copter. I will be primarily using it for filming paintball practices and tournaments, so the requirements are pretty basic:

1) Waypoints
2) RTH ability
3) 10 minute minimum run time, but longer would be better (I plan to buy several spare batteries)
4) RTF (I don't really want to build it. Got too many other projects going on right now)
5) Stable enough for a GoPro 3
6) Under a grand, with remote

The basic function will be to fly straight up, over a net to the center of the field, hover during the match, fly back over the net, then land. Autopilot would be great so I can have someone else run it when I'm playing.

Right now an Arducopter looks to fit my needs pretty well, but I'd like some input from experienced people.

Thanks!

got wake?

IMHO - go with a large Quadrocopter which will allow you to use more efficient 22 pole motors and longer props at a lower rpm...... optimizes airtime efficiency and also helps to keep the noise level down to a manageable level. A same size hex will force you to go with smaller props and higher rpm which is lower efficiency and noisy.

I hadn't thought about that, but it does make a lot of sense for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Cant really comment on the Ardrucopter as I aint tried one but for a beginner I would say it would be a real time eater. Best go for something simple to start with like the Phantom.

Dave

That is actually what perked my interest in a quadcopter for overhead filming. But since it doesn't offer waypoints, I started looking elsewhere.

Electro 2

"1) Waypoints 2) RTH ability 3) 10 minute minimum run time 4) RTF 5) Stable enough for a GoPro 3 6) Under a grand, with remote"

This probably isn't "doable" It's the "under a grand" part that's a sinker. Also, if you use and open source fligh controller, Like Ardupilot, it will take months to tune the FC. It's not plug and play, no open source FC is. Personally I'm 90 days in on my MultiWii and I fly and average of three times a day. I've progressed beyond the prime axes adjustment and am currently on tuning the automated functions, (MH, AH, GPS, RTH) but it's not anywhere near done. Also, none of the systems are nearly as robotic as you would like, safety considerations alone dictate that most flying is done in the manual mode, so you have to learn to fly. This wil take serious stick time. Also, it's generally agreed here, on the forum, that it's simply not safe to fly over people, ever, for any reason, this may rule out the P.B. scene. You *will* crash at some point during this journey and if someone gets hurt, it's an issue. The reality of it is you will crash multiple times even with the RTF "professional" systems. Read a number of the many Phantom or S800 crash threads here someday if you doubt this. Just so you know.

I have 2 APM's and they're not a huge time eater - they can fly out the box on standard settings, for most 450 quads. I did one calibration session, and one PID tuning flight, and that was it. I do like them.

What has been annoying is the new compassmot procedure in 3.0.0 (which is slightly alarming and *is* time consuming), and all the build stuff such as anti-vibe and now the anti-compass-interference which you now *must* have to have for smooth flight.

Its a step in the wrong direction IMO, introducing more complexity and confusion, when we should be making it simpler and easier to fly out the box. It now takes much longer to get smooth auto-using flights. And for newbs it must be a daunting task.

BatCam

RPAS Pilot
I agree with Silverburn, my first quad build was an Arducopter FC (APM 2.5). Built a TBS Discovery with it, OSD and telemetry, PID's tuned and happily flying on a number of modes in a week from beginning to completion. Certainly not the worst option, and you'll learn a great deal out of it

I'm with Droider. Go for a Phantom, and forgo waypoint capability and fly it yourself.
But out of curiousity, why did you want waypoint capability for shooting paintball? (pardon the pun =)

got wake?

"1) Waypoints 2) RTH ability 3) 10 minute minimum run time 4) RTF 5) Stable enough for a GoPro 3 6) Under a grand, with remote"

This probably isn't "doable" It's the "under a grand" part that's a sinker. Also, if you use and open source fligh controller, Like Ardupilot, it will take months to tune the FC. It's not plug and play, no open source FC is. Personally I'm 90 days in on my MultiWii and I fly and average of three times a day. I've progressed beyond the prime axes adjustment and am currently on tuning the automated functions, (MH, AH, GPS, RTH) but it's not anywhere near done. Also, none of the systems are nearly as robotic as you would like, safety considerations alone dictate that most flying is done in the manual mode, so you have to learn to fly. This wil take serious stick time. Also, it's generally agreed here, on the forum, that it's simply not safe to fly over people, ever, for any reason, this may rule out the P.B. scene. You *will* crash at some point during this journey and if someone gets hurt, it's an issue. The reality of it is you will crash multiple times even with the RTF "professional" systems. Read a number of the many Phantom or S800 crash threads here someday if you doubt this. Just so you know.

i hadn't considered crashing on the field. that does bring up a very good safety concern. granted most players are wearing protective gear, masks and goggles at a minimum, i would hate to have it crash and do harm to a fellow player.

i think i'll build an APM based quad over time, simply because it interests me. not for overhead live filming, though.

ProPilotWannaBe, i wanted waypoint capability so that i can land it safely away from the field and spectators, yet still be able to fly it up and over with minimal interactions from me, since i'll be busy reloading my marker and pods to get ready for the next match. basically it was to save time for me as well as enable someone else to run it when i'm playing.

Electro 2

"I hadn't considered crashing on the field."

No one ever does, ........until it happens. No aircraft, no pilot, is "Golden". It happens.

"Most players are wearing protective gear, masks and goggles at a minimum"

Major good thing! When the crash happens, *far* less chance of serious injury. It would proabably be a good idea to tell the fighters that the aircraft will be overhead, so they are aware. If there is an issue, they won't be totally blind-sided.