Hoverfly NEW AH on 4.6r2

PaNt

Hey guys this thing is Multicopter killer...
I put 30 Gain and when i put AH on you hear the motors going to less rpm and then of course i remove AH....!

Where is the problem on the new Version..

Also on MAin gain on the 4.3 i had 70 now the new i have 62 its nice and smooth but its VERY VER unstable in WInd..! 2-3bofours not more.!

I have tried the APC 14x4.7 and the Xoar 14x4 ... :( :(

Efliernz

Pete
I would like to see others AH gains too.

I thought I had the AL gain sorted... I have done 45 minutes of test flying with 4.6r2 and it has never seemed as stable in descent or the wind as 4.3.802. During a gentle straight-down descent yesterday morning, my VM-6 started pitch oscillations 4m up. It flipped over pavement. Goodbye to a 3 month old Sony Rx100 and $200 DW spares.

I really dislike 4.6r2. I am rolling back and having a break. I can't afford another $1k when I have done nothing wrong...

Pete

PaNt

I thought I had the AL gain sorted... I have done 45 minutes of test flying with 4.6r2 and it has never seemed as stable in descent or the wind as 4.3.802. During a gentle straight-down descent yesterday morning, my VM-6 started pitch oscillations 4m up. It flipped over pavement. Goodbye to a 3 month old Sony Rx100 and $200 DW spares.

I really dislike 4.6r2. I am rolling back and having a break. I can't afford another $1k when I have done nothing wrong...

Pete

Yeap we are on the same Situation.. Guys pls do something..!

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Sorry to hear you guys are having issues with the latest firmware. I haven't experienced any issues myself. Do you have sufficient thrust to weight ratio? Keep in mind that comparing gain numbers is meaningless. The gain values will be different unless you are comparing truly identical birds. I mean identical layout, props, motors, batteries, weight disto etc. There is no such thing as "ideal" or "recommended" gain. Just because someone has a low gain number, don't expect that your birds gain value should be low. Just follow the gain setting instructions to find the correct gain.

PaNt

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues with the latest firmware. I haven't experienced any issues myself. Do you have sufficient thrust to weight ratio? Keep in mind that comparing gain numbers is meaningless. The gain values will be different unless you are comparing truly identical birds. I mean identical layout, props, motors, batteries, weight disto etc. There is no such thing as "ideal" or "recommended" gain. Just because someone has a low gain number, don't expect that your birds gain value should be low. Just follow the gain setting instructions to find the correct gain.

First of all its unstable on low wind situation..!
Secondly i tried 30 50 and 60 and the motors were going on lower rpm.. you could hear it..!
Thirdly i hover on 50%

Efliernz

Pete
I am hovering at just under 50%. My machine flew like it was on rails in up to 30Km winds with 4.3.802. I have gone from low gain to really high gain settings. It has never appeared as stable as it used to. On Friday night in a 5km wind, I was flying slowy forward at 2' when I switched to AL. It instantly started to pitch oscillate and I managed to get it down before it got ugly.

I will try larger props once it is rebuilt and see if it improves. I am retiring from commercial AP - decided late last week. This was the final job. I will revisit it after Christmas. I have put may too many hours into making 4.6r2 work in the last 2 weeks - across two very different machines.

Razzil

I can't afford another $1k when I have done nothing wrong

That statement is the easiest way to say how I feel towards Hoverfly, and the reason why I switched from Hoverfly to DJI ... thankfully expensive landing gear getting smashed to bits has been my only damage. I haven't had one crash on the DJI ... but I love the feel of the Hoverfly, which is the reason I'm currently in the process of an xHex configuration build with the Hoverfly Pro/GPS boards again. Think I might wait it out a little while longer and wait for an updated firmware. That being said, some people seem to like it.

PaNt

That statement is the easiest way to say how I feel towards Hoverfly, and the reason why I switched from Hoverfly to DJI ... thankfully expensive landing gear getting smashed to bits has been my only damage. I haven't had one crash on the DJI ... but I love the feel of the Hoverfly, which is the reason I'm currently in the process of an xHex configuration build with the Hoverfly Pro/GPS boards again. Think I might wait it out a little while longer and wait for an updated firmware. That being said, some people seem to like it.

The 4.3802 was a graet firmware..>!!! Great AH great AL and the PErfect Manual..!

Razzil

Yea I really liked that version, manual was awesome. It was the best firmware in the wind I found.

yeehaanow

I think I have the opposite results. 4.6 has been more stable, or at least as stable as the prev FW. I have switched from a hex to an octo, and from apc's to grapners, so there are a lot of variables to consider.
I'm sorry you had a crash. All FC have had issues along the way. The FOD term was originally coined from MK issues.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Sorry to hear about your crash. We have 4 different size test aircraft (ranging from micro to heavy lift). I haven't seen anything like this on any of our aircraft. You were in autoleveling when this happened? Can you fill out a support request? http://hoverflytech.zendesk.com

Pete

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Gain can also be a factor in these things. It is very important to really bang the sticks around before considering a particular gain setting a good one. You must attempt to induce oscillation and see the HoverflyPro not over or under correct before being satisfied. It is very easy to pick a gain which allows for a nice hover, but this same setting may not perform well when a disturbance is encountered (such as descent). In most cases this is from a gain which is too low.

It would be good, if you could include some pictures of your setup and what kind of motors,etc you have when you submit the support request.

I will see if I can retrieve the log tonight. I was in AL. Thanks George.

ghaynes

For those that post about issues with HF boards as new user of HoverFly I am really interested in your experiences. But without more information the posts, unfortunately, are pretty useless without more detail. What type of quad, battery, motors, props, esc's, maybe some of your system settings. That type of information would be very helpful to all of us and might provide you quicker suggestions on how to resolve your challenge. There are so many variations of equipment that it will always be challenging but this type of basic data would really help.

PaNt

Sorry to hear about your crash. We have 4 different size test aircraft (ranging from micro to heavy lift). I haven't seen anything like this on any of our aircraft. You were in autoleveling when this happened? Can you fill out a support request? http://hoverflytech.zendesk.com

No answer for me?? I have to crash :) :)

Why the motors are going on lower rpm???? and why my Octo is not as good as it was on 4.3802?

Efliernz

Pete
George

I'm tied up fore the next day or so but I have my full build here - this is where it gets good... http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6766-Pete-s-VM-6-Hexa-build-blog&p=71578&viewfull=1#post71578

Droidworx VM-6 with 355mm arms (760mm motor to motor)
Sunnysky 2814 700Kv 120 gram motors
3320grams AUW including 4S5000mA battery + 550grams of payload - 29A hover, nice climb at 36A. Fast climb 48A 80% throttle.
APC-style (Hobbyking) 12x6 thin-blades, were cut down to 10.5" and perfectly balanced. Any wider was too much lifting power for the weight of the machine (hover at 40% throttle). I believe the faster thin props aid control in the wind and turbulence.

When it flipped, the Gain was up at manual 100 / AL 100 in the setup client. 25% strength on AL. I was very slowly descending vertically in AL as a slight thermal hit (I was over pavement between large iron buildings in the sun) when it pitch oscillated and flipped.

This was how it was test-flown with 4.3.802:
The onboard Gopro was hard mounted so you can see how smooth it was. It was carrying a sandbag to simulate it's now weight with the proper mount.

146982205.jpg

4.6.R2 hasn't got anywhere near this nice on my machine.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: