Hoverfly Twitchy HoverFly Pro XHex issue with Version 4.6 Firmware

ross_badger

To solve another issue, we stopped recording flight logs on the HoverflyPro. They are only recorded on the HoverflyGPS now. This is why the file is empty. Haven't had a chance to update the setup client to reflect this.

It sounds like you have a power / ESC issue based on the symptoms you described.

George - thanks for getting back on this issue. I didn't think to check the GPS board for the flight log....doh! That should tell me which of the 6 ESCs are giving me trouble, should it not? I haven't had a chance yet to go back and start checking each individual ESC, but I'd like to be able to use the log to narrow it down to the one(s) causing the problem. Hopefully tonight after I get out of my Jury Duty obligation.....:tennis:

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Unfortunately, the HoverflyPro doesn't know what the ESCs are actually doing. It only knows what it told them to do. So the logs may not help in this case.

George - thanks for getting back on this issue. I didn't think to check the GPS board for the flight log....doh! That should tell me which of the 6 ESCs are giving me trouble, should it not? I haven't had a chance yet to go back and start checking each individual ESC, but I'd like to be able to use the log to narrow it down to the one(s) causing the problem. Hopefully tonight after I get out of my Jury Duty obligation.....:tennis:

ross_badger

Ok......I put SimonK flashed Plush 30A ESCs in place of the SimonK flashed HK F-30A ESCs on the twitchy Hex, and all the problems went away. The twitch Hex is no longer twitchy.....it is solid as a rock. I should've done this in the first place, but I didn't want to tear apart BOTH Hexes.....lol.

ross_badger

I'm still not able to arm or even calibrate these Hobbyking F-30A SimonK flashed ESCs on either of my 2 HFly Pro boards. I've followed the onboard throttle range calibration method ( https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-throttle-range-setup-for-hoverflypro ) and most of them don't even respond. I messed around with the throttle end points thinking that they needed a lower (or higher) value, but that didn't help either. The throttle range calibration works on each ESC individually when I connect each in turn to the receiver, but then when I connect them all back to the board....only 3 of the 6 motors spin. Each also works fine when I connect them to a battery, motor, and servo tester on the bench.

I've got a HF zendesk support ticket open on this issue, and even offered to send these ESCs to George to see if it is a HFly board bug. I'm sure others have had this issue as well....??

Ross

ross_badger

Update - George had suggested that the issue may just be related to signal overloading on the ESC ports when using the F-30A ESCs. He suggested using a servo signal booster, especially with Futaba receivers that put out 2.7 V

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Servo-Signal-Booster-Amp.html

This Servo Signal Booster is used to restore the low amplitude signal levels provided by radio control (R/C) receivers. This eliminates poor servo performance when used on some modern microcontroller based receivers that have as little as 2.5V servo pulse levels.

The booster is so tiny that it looks like a standard 12-inch (300mm) R/C servo extension cable. But hiding under some black heatshrink is the special amplifier circuit made from micro-sized surface mount components.

The booster is designed for 5VDC receiver operation. The servo signal is amplified to a healthy 5V level. For example, receiver models such as Futaba's R6014FS output only 2.7V servo pulse signals. The servo signal booster amplifies them to ideal 5V amplitudes for best servo operation.

I ordered one and will let you know if it works or not!

Ross

PaNt

Update - George had suggested that the issue may just be related to signal overloading on the ESC ports when using the F-30A ESCs. He suggested using a servo signal booster, especially with Futaba receivers that put out 2.7 V

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Servo-Signal-Booster-Amp.html

This Servo Signal Booster is used to restore the low amplitude signal levels provided by radio control (R/C) receivers. This eliminates poor servo performance when used on some modern microcontroller based receivers that have as little as 2.5V servo pulse levels.

The booster is so tiny that it looks like a standard 12-inch (300mm) R/C servo extension cable. But hiding under some black heatshrink is the special amplifier circuit made from micro-sized surface mount components.

The booster is designed for 5VDC receiver operation. The servo signal is amplified to a healthy 5V level. For example, receiver models such as Futaba's R6014FS output only 2.7V servo pulse signals. The servo signal booster amplifies them to ideal 5V amplitudes for best servo operation.

I ordered one and will let you know if it works or not!

Ross

If this is a reciever problem why you dont have it with Turnigy plush escs too??

ross_badger

If this is a reciever problem why you dont have it with Turnigy plush escs too??

Good question, and that is why I have been pulling my hair out over this one......it just doesn't make a lot of sense. It may be that the Turnigy Plushes are less sensitive to low servo pulses....??

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
I'm not suggesting it's a receiver problem. The use listed on the DPCav site is just another application for the same part. This wouldn't have anything to do with your receiver. The boosters need to go between the ESCs and the HoverflyPro. Basically they isolate the HoverflyPro from the load of your ESCs. Some ESCs place too much of a load on the HoverflyPro. These boosters have helped in the past.

Good question, and that is why I have been pulling my hair out over this one......it just doesn't make a lot of sense. It may be that the Turnigy Plushes are less sensitive to low servo pulses....??

ross_badger

I'm not suggesting it's a receiver problem. The use listed on the DPCav site is just another application for the same part. This wouldn't have anything to do with your receiver. The boosters need to go between the ESCs and the HoverflyPro. Basically they isolate the HoverflyPro from the load of your ESCs. Some ESCs place too much of a load on the HoverflyPro. These boosters have helped in the past.

I misunderstood then, since I thought that the throttle signals from the receiver were getting "dissipated" between the 6 ESCs causing some of them not to read the signal. Would the signal booster work (and has it been tried) between the RECEIVER and HFPRO board, instead of what you are suggesting to do with using them between the HFPRO board and the 6 ESCs?

The reason I ask is that I only ordered 1 of these signal boosters thinking I needed to boost the receiver signal to the HFPro board, but now will have to order 5 more.

BTW, Hobby King has these as well for half the price:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=8356

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Yes, we have had success with it. The signal booster goes between the HoverflyPro and the ESCs.
I misunderstood then, since I thought that the throttle signals from the receiver were getting "dissipated" between the 6 ESCs causing some of them not to read the signal. Would the signal booster work (and has it been tried) between the RECEIVER and HFPRO board, instead of what you are suggesting to do with using them between the HFPRO board and the 6 ESCs?

The reason I ask is that I only ordered 1 of these signal boosters thinking I needed to boost the receiver signal to the HFPro board, but now will have to order 5 more.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Not likely. Here's when you need signal boosters.

1. Some ESCs load the HoverflyPro's ESC output ports down so much that they can't understand the signal we send them.
2. When using long leads between the HoverflyPro and the ESCs.

If your ESCs are working with the HoverflyPro, you probably won't see any difference.

If we put these boosters on the Plush escs will we have better performance??

Stacky

George, I have an issue with my lightweight hexa where there is a delay in the response to yaw inputs. Its been driving me mental trying to work it out. I know my boards are good as they work happily in other rigs. Could long esc leads be causing this delay in yaw response?

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
I think it's more likely you are running into the bottom limiters. Try adding payload weight until you hover at roughly 50% throttle.

What ESCs are you using?

George, I have an issue with my lightweight hexa where there is a delay in the response to yaw inputs. Its been driving me mental trying to work it out. I know my boards are good as they work happily in other rigs. Could long esc leads be causing this delay in yaw response?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
On the note of Esc's...what would happen if i used my maytech v.1's? I have 6 and would like to use them but now that I ditched all my DJI stuff they have no home.

ross_badger

I received the 1 servo signal booster that I ordered from DPCav and it does seem to allow the previously unresponsive F-30A ESCs to function properly when connected between the HFPro board and the ESC. Just for kicks, I did try the signal booster between the Futaba receiver and the HFPro board and it DID NOT work.

Now I just need to wait until the additional signal boosters arrive from Hobby King to try it on all the ESCs.....

Thanks for your help, George!

Ross

octocine

I've used the same Cinestar 8 in a +octo mode and an X mode (after broken booms from a crash) and it works well. However with the exact same configuration it will not fly as an X hex. Any suggestions would be appreciated and apologies for the cross posting. I'm in a remote area and desperate.

This is an old thread. You are going to have to give us all of your configurations. Tell us what issues you are having and hopefully you are not running 4.6 firmware.