Naza v2 malfunction [open ocean crash vid]

pangloss

18m or ~60ft for maybe 20 mins (I got my gear on as fast as I could, when I found it the lipo was still bubbling). I will def put floats into my frame in the future. At 18m, the pressure got salt water into everything. Under 1M I think it would have been better. I had to take everything apart and put it in a vinegar bath. As I ordered my replacement ESCs from HobbyKing, and they lost the shipment, I haven't rebuilt yet. It's been 5 months since they charged my card, and I have nothing, be weary, they say they have to 'investigate' the loss. So many problems ordering from these guys.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Why do you say that was a malfunction? looks like the wind was too high and you clipped the side of the boat sending it over. Not picking holes or calling you out, to me it don't look like a malfunction.... but thats just me.

Anyone else?

skquad

Why do you say that was a malfunction? looks like the wind was too high and you clipped the side of the boat sending it over. Not picking holes or calling you out, to me it don't look like a malfunction.... but thats just me.

Anyone else?

That's how I saw it as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's only a theory but this has happened to me a few times and only when it was very gusty. I think the NAZA becomes overwhelmed by the amount of work it has to do and just loses it. It has happened to me also when I first got the Naza ages ago when I tried to defend straight down through it's own prop wash with the same result.

I'm intrigued as to how you got the quad back after it ditched.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Gains on the Naza are set and fixed normally, some have a VR knob to adjust them but most do not use them. In my industry PID gains work best at a constant, IE not too much of a change, if there is too much of a change you will see extreme fluctuations until the PID can gain control of the loop again.

So what I am saying is, if the wind was too high as the OP noted in his video, a nice gust of wind would knock it around pretty good until the loop stabilized but a knock after a knock would certainly make it unstable and certainly would make matters worse if it had a slow PID or low reacting gains.

Hope that makes sense, I kinda deal with PID statements in my main job, daily.

SoCal Blur

He does say "blinking lights signals that flight computer has failed." Not knowing anything about DJI indicator lights, would that indicate a malfunction?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
The lights blink on mine all the time, without knowing what his sequence was... no one would really know.

Personally I do not fly in high winds or gusty days, I have $2,500.00 in the air and want to be as safe as I can. I want to protect my equipment and anything around me, flying in high winds is certainly not recommended with these.

High winds to me is anything over 10 Mph, 5 Mph winds can even throw a flag up for me some days if it is gusting.

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I do not mind flying in wind and that’s the one area I really feel the NAZA 2 is horrible.
I can fly my SuperX rigs in 25+ MPH winds with almost no “bucking” but my Naza 2 rigs go insane at around 15 - 20 mph. I have a GoPro rig set up with a Naza 2, zenmuse and in clam it’s Super Smooth. Really a joy to fly. but in anything over 15 mph it gets really twitchy and can be a real challenge to fly. 20+ and I won’t even try.

I was still tuning the gimbal but here’s a video of a SuperX flying in 20mph wings with 30 mph gusts, (around 2:50 you can REALLY see the wind) The Naza would never act like this!

If I am missing something in regard to tuning the naza where it will handle wind much better please let me know. With the price reduction I’m really trying to like the Naza!

chipwich

Sorry for your loss, but pilot error IMO. Flying your aircraft outside of its performance envelope, or not having the skills to maintain control is hardly a malfunction.

pangloss

Hi guys, I wasn't in manual, I was using GPS atti that's why the wind wasn't blowing me all over. The light indicated compass failure (COMPASS ERROR in manual), so let's not discuss whether or not the thing had an error.

I stated it could be my fault for flying near a ferro-magnetic structure (oil rig), so if you wanna vomit up some snarky unhelpful replies or show how much smarter or better yuo are than others focus on that angle :nevreness:

As soon as the light started blinking the thing stopped any compensation and started rotating port side slowly and being blown right into a cable, caught the landing gear and flipped the craft. In the 1-2 seconds, a badassed pilot could have slipped into manual, stopped the spin, righted the craft and flown it against the wind. Or even just flew up and out over the edge hoping to regain compass over the water.

I have flown in high winds a lot, and know the proper descent rate to deal with prop wash, i actually wish it would have plummetted to the deck instead of the water.

I was diving from this oil rig, so I strapped a tank on and recovered the quad.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Snarky remarks? Dude, you come on here and tell us it was a failure, we look at your video and we see the wind getting hold of your craft. You state you're on a ferromagnetic craft and your in GPS mode which has a compass built into it and your expecting sympathy from people? Come on now.

You did two things wrong, you flew in high wind, in a mode (GPS) which was not right for the surroundings and the GPS went out of calibration as per your LED indications and went out of control. So please do tell why you should not get a reaming for doing this? You should have been in manual mode and nothing else, if you can't control your craft in manual mode you should not have been flying.

Sorry if this is hurtful but it is the truth, this has cost you very badly and I am sorry you have lost a lot of money, next time you should weigh up the pros and cons of the conditions and act accordingly.

Your topic title is misleading, it should have been as stated above, PILOT ERROR.

Sorry dude, that's how it is. Too many people rely on the electronics anymore

pangloss

You guys make a lot of assumptions.

>>The GPS went out of calibration
The GPS was calibrated on the deck, it reported it was working fine with no ferro-magnetic disturbance. It then flew fine for 5 full minutes, compass was fine, wind was fine, and I was much closer to the structure than when the compass failed in the video (think about lifting off from the deck).

Again, there were no issues and it was flying fine, the compass was calibrated properly by walking it in a circle and flipping it, at which time it reported it had no interference.

I was the first one to point to maybe ferro-magnetic interference being a possible issue, so no need to jump up and down about it. I have flown my quad around many oil rigs and even moving steel vessels, with no issues, I always understand that one day I am going to end up in the water and I wouldn't have taken off if I wasn't ok with that.

You could also point out that I am flying it over my girlfriend, who is in inherent bodily danger.

I just wanted to share a video where the compass fails on my quad and show it plummet off an oil rig, thought people might find it interesting, and remind people that no matter how many perfect flights you have, things can go wrong. Think twice before getting yourself in a situation that you can't get out of in manual mode.

CE

Bloody hell Pangloss, I bet you wished you'd not opened your mouth ha ha.
I enjoyed your piece though and found it interesting whether it be pilot error or not, who cares, you shared it in good faith. But how boring it must be to live ones' life always within the envelope.
Dave

pangloss

To anyone really looking at the video, you should know that at the moment the compass dies, and the last second before hitting the water, I am vvpeeding the footage down 3x slow. I wanted you to read the text and see the moment the compass stops, and see the water splash, so I slowed it down.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Bloody hell Pangloss, I bet you wished you'd not opened your mouth ha ha.
I enjoyed your piece though and found it interesting whether it be pilot error or not, who cares, you shared it in good faith. But how boring it must be to live ones' life always within the envelope.
Dave

Within the envelope? so you like to enjoy living outside the envelope, the envelope of safety. People like you give us serious guys a bad name, PILOT ERROR and nothing else.

pangloss

>>People like you give us serious guys a bad name, PILOT ERROR and nothing else.
I don't understand why you keep trolling this thread repeating the same stuff, we get it: it's poor judgement to fly a computer controlled aircraft in the middle of the ocean. I am a terrible person who gives the entire hobby a bad name.

Don't feel the need to focus your energies here, there are surely hundreds of other people on the internet to set straight.

While as you say, I may make the entire hobby look bad (flair for the dramatic?), you sir make posting experiences on this forum *awesome*. thumbs up.

Just looked at the weather data for that day on met.gov.my, winds 7-10mph (which is actually within your 'envelope' if I read your previous thread correctly) :highly_amused: