NAZA prop broke and landed in pond

mailman35

over on rcg there is a build thread about a waterproof quad/hex.
looks pretty easy to do. for that peace of mind when u are flying over water.

Fransvh

Sorry to hear this.

I tryed to balance the stock props, the hub is of centre and I coudn't balance it well.
Was in doubt to buy some Graupners.... After reading your horror story, they are ordered.

kloner

Aerial DP
if nothing else folks should be flying apc or better. there not too bad, just don't hold a balance very well, but there hub and consistency is way above dji props. if your just flying los, no cam, get apc. if your using a gopro, you want graupners.

gencode

No one should use the stock props at all.
Search google on "dji prop failure"
There are many recent posts and videos only a few weeks old.

This is not isolated at all

if nothing else folks should be flying apc or better. there not too bad, just don't hold a balance very well, but there hub and consistency is way above dji props. if your just flying los, no cam, get apc. if your using a gopro, you want graupners.

Bella7821

I've only flown over the water once a few weeks ago (would have been twice, but my DJI prop broke hovering over the beach in Mexico last month)
Anyways, I got 2 of these and put them on the F450 whenever I'm going to fly over water just in case.
http://www.water-buoy.com/

kloner

Aerial DP
lifts 2kilo each, looks like this under a discovery. little longer than a cig lighter, but about that size
002f%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

001f%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

Attachments

• 033 (800x600).jpg
    033 (800x600).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited by a moderator:

BerndM

So a quad does pretty good if you can get it out fast, completely tear everything down and let it dry before powering up. usually a couple days. Everytime i've put something int he water, the only thing i've lost is esc's. they seem to get screwed up going in. I still fly the naza today

My experience (not with a quad) of RC equipment and water is that if it is FRESH water, you MIGHT be OK following Kloners advice, but if it is SALT water, you're instantly screwed big time. There is virtually no way to save electronics that have gone into salt water. The electrolysis starts instantly and will get into areas you simply cannot reach to clean. Me and some of my flying buddies have tried unsuccessfully to "save" some unwanted electronics that we purposely dropped into salt water with an ocean salinity level, and then immediately retrieved the item, disconnected the battery, and douched the crap out of it with Electrosolv moisture repellent & cleaner, all to no avail. No matter how much we tried to clean and dry it, a few hours later, the nasty green electrolysis reappeared. You can definitely save all the non electronic parts though like frames, props and even the motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

gencode

It is 100% fresh water, gators live in fresh :)
Thanks for the encouragement, we are going to try this weekend, we have a fully submergible metal detector. along with waterproof headphones and Im getting a 20$ 1 man coleman raft. I don't want to be swimming with the gator again until its located.

Another thing we may try is fish with a hard drive magnet to see if I can locate it. ITs been in there 3 days now.

For 250 bucks there is a company here that will use a dive tank and give 4 hrs for searching. I guess if you have an expensive key or an expensive drone at the bottom of the lake its worth it.

My experience (not with a quad) of RC equipment and water is that if it is FRESH water, you MIGHT be OK following Kloners advice, but if it is SALT water, you're instantly screwed big time. There is virtually no way to save electronics that have gone into salt water. The electrolysis starts instantly and will get into areas you simply cannot reach to clean. Me and some of my flying buddies have tried unsuccessfully to "save" some unwanted electronics that we purposely dropped into salt water with an ocean salinity level, and then immediately retrieved the item, disconnected the battery, and douched the crap out of it with Electrosolv moisture repellent & cleaner, all to no avail. No matter how much we tried to clean and dry it, a few hours later, the nasty green electrolysis reappeared. You can definitely save all the non electronic parts though like frames, props and even the motors.

kyle925

My quad was underwater too ( fresh water) for 30min due to a config error w/ my gps unit. Only 1 motor fizzled/smoked ( most probably from mud and dirt). I am still flying w/ out any problems. Make sure to def dry it out for a week. use a desiccant/ rice to dry it faster. Go pro should be good if you used the original waterproof case. i used the one w/ the sides being open for my AV out wire. BTW, do you still remember the actual spot it crashed? Or will you be searching for it first? Goodluck!

gencode

We know the general area but its pretty deep in most parts and over my head, there is a company that will do a 4hr dive for 250 bucks.

gencode

Bella,

I got another one and I also got Graunpner's but I noticed these don't have the notches in them like the ones that come from DJI
I got the 1326.10x5L

kloner

Aerial DP
thats what normal props are like. You don't need the "short bus" hub but you will need to get em tight. Gotta counter sink your spinners just at the tip so they go on a hair further

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
This is a heart braking story. I thought the F550 had some kind of firmware update that was supposed to make the F550 redundant in the event of a prop/motor loss. I thought that if it losses a one prop/motor the other arms are supposed to compensate for a safe landing.

When I bought my F550 I got Graupners with it because I've heard of the issues with the stock props. I have had two very minor tip overs. Auto landing in a green bean field one of the legs got caught in the stems and then it tipped. I shut the motors down but it still rolled over on one of the props. The Prop is fine.

I was lucky yesterday, as I didn't loctite my spinners down and one came loose and the spinner flew off and the prop flew up in the air, luckily I hadn't taken off yet, so I shut it down and and went home. I've now added a drop of loctite to each spinner making sure not to get any Loctite on the props.

Bella7821

I use just a tad of locktite paste on a toothpick an put it up in the prop nut and that holds the Graupners on just fine since they're not keyed like the stock props.
Some people complain that with the prop nut all the way tight the Graupner prop still turns some. I have had 2 F550's and 1 F450 and I have not had a problem yet.
I have 70 flights on my F450 now and the Graupner props have never caused me any issues.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I use just a tad of locktite paste on a toothpick an put it up in the prop nut and that holds the Graupners on just fine since they're not keyed like the stock props.
Some people complain that with the prop nut all the way tight the Graupner prop still turns some. I have had 2 F550's and 1 F450 and I have not had a problem yet.
I have 70 flights on my F450 now and the Graupner props have never caused me any issues.

I basically did the same thing and I've reefed on the nuts. I my props don't slip at all. I hope the guy that lost his F550 in the Gator pond can get compensated some how. What a horrible story.