Naza M V2 yaw won't lock... Help?

luckymike

Long time lurker, first time poster (other than my introduction).

The problem: when I lift off to hover the MR immediately starts flat spinning, usually clockwise (looking down) but it has also spun counter clockwise as well.

The behavior is as if the yaw cannot lock, it looks like a traditional heli that lost it's tailrotor or gyro. It does hover flat but it just won't stay headed in one direction... I put a tach on the props holding it in the air and on the ground looking for a possible motor or esc issue but they all checked out okay.

I have been through the setup assistant more times than I can count. I've talked to the dealer and DJI directly and haven't gotten any resolve. I've googled it to death. So, I figured I'd throw it up here, hopefully someone has some insight...

Here's the rig, everything is new:
F550 kit with DJI motors & ESCs
Naza-M V2 w/GPS
Futaba 14SG — setup with the tradition wires (not sbus at this time)
Reedy 4S 5500mAh

I set the gains up per the DJI recommendations. Trimming had not effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Gary Seven

Rocketman
@luckymike I hate to ask the obvious (especially given that you state you've been the Naza Assistant numerous times), but are you sure you've done the stick calibration procedure correctly?

luckymike

Here are some pictures of the F550 and a screen shot of the setup assistant.

@Gary, I have calibrated the sticks per the instructions, but that's not to say something obvious couldn't be the issue. The only stick inputs that I have used is throttling up to hover a few feet off the ground, and then back down because it's flat spinning — point being that I haven't really flown it past that point as I can't get it to stop spinning.

Thanks in advance! -M

Ps. The white props are Phantom replacements — my kit came with the gray props but three of the six had faulty threads, like they were tapped a size too big. The white props were sent to me as a replacement and they told me that they were functionally the same, just white — FWIW...

One last item of note: for some reason I no longer have the 'manual' option to assign to the switch, I only have Atti and Failsafe available.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 468
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 457
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 478
  • Naza_setup_assist.jpg
    Naza_setup_assist.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 514
Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Seven

Rocketman
LuckyMike, did you build this rig yourself? Are you sure each motor is wired correctly (from the ESC) and spinning in the correct direction? Are you sure of your props (ie, CW prop to the CW motor and CCW prop to its CCW motor)? Also, your Attitude gains seem really high. I run about the same gains for Roll, Yaw, Pitch etc., with Attitude set at 100%.

Edit: A couple more questions. Have you ever flown this or did you just receive it? Are you sure of your wiring into the Rx? You do know that DJI expects the following order from the Tx, right?
CH-1 Ail
CH-2 Ele
CH-3 Thr
CH-4 Rud

luckymike

I did build the rig and although I wouldn't go around saying I am an expert, I do have over 25 years of RC building, flying, racing experience. I have even worked behind the counter at a hobby shop long ago. The point being that I do understand the concepts of radios, channels, ESCs, props, balance, ect. That said, this is my first MR build and I am fully capable of making an error or misunderstanding something.

To your question; the motors/props are all spinning in the correct directions verified via the setup assistant. I wired the Rx per the instructions found in the Naza manual and again verified via the setup assistant. The gains are directly out of Naza-M V2 manual (both sections attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 12.05.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 12.05.08 PM.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 336
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 12.11.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 12.11.20 PM.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 908

Gary Seven

Rocketman
LuckyMike, gosh I didn't mean to imply you were a newbie. I mean, wow....25 years in RC is just tons of experience. Way more than me, pal.

I don't know else to help you here. This just seems to have all the symptoms of miswired motors (ie, at least one spinning in the wrong direction) or Tx-Rx issues. There are several people here with Futaba Tx's (I'm a Taranis guy), but for the moment most of their names elude me. I know @Bartman knows Futaba, I think @fltundra and maybe @Carapau as well. Hopefully some of the real cracks on this forum will chime in??

luckymike

@Gary, there's no shame in being a newb and I am a newb in the MR field! My only point was to just to let you guys know that I have a little grip on some of the RC basics but I certainly don't know everything and I am open to learn here. :)

I'll go through all the wires again over the weekend and honestly at this point, I really wish I could find something. I would happily wear the MR dunce cap if that's what it takes to get this thing working ;)

luckymike

SUCCESS! I went through the whole thing again and here's what I found - all the props were swinging in the correct direction BUT I had the clockwise motors/props on the arms where the counterclockwise where supposed be. I put the correct motor/props on their proper arms, checked the rotation and BOOM - it flies like a rock!

I want to thank you guys for prompting to look at the obvious one more time. Building this thing in one sense is pretty straight forward but then there again I got lost!

@Gary, please pass me that dunce cap! Thanks guys, stoked!!!

Gary Seven

Rocketman
SUCCESS! I went through the whole thing again and here's what I found - all the props were swinging in the correct direction BUT I had the clockwise motors/props on the arms where the counterclockwise where supposed be. I put the correct motor/props on their proper arms, checked the rotation and BOOM - it flies like a rock!

I want to thank you guys for prompting to look at the obvious one more time. Building this thing in one sense is pretty straight forward but then there again I got lost!

@Gary, please pass me that dunce cap! Thanks guys, stoked!!!
Hey @luckymike, f**kin-A! Good job, dude. In all honesty your problem was driving me nuts because I did sorta the same thing last summer when I built my F450. I caught it immediately, however so never had to go through the torture process as you did. I just knew it had to be a wiring or motor conflict (although I now see that I NEVER mentioned that possibility in our exchange!). Hope @Bartman's suggestion got you on the right road as well. Isn't this forum a freakin trip??:D

Anyway, congrats. Ya see? You CAN teach old dogs new tricks!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Just seen the thread and was about to post about your props being on the wrong way round but you have sussed it by yourself. Its such a good feeling sussing something out yourself- good work!

luckymike

The thing that's tricky about building the F550 (for me at least) is that after you get through the assembly and programming, there isn't much to que on visually that something is amiss, other than it spinning out of control like it does in my video. With fixed wing, standard heli and cars there are easy analog ways to mechanically check pitch, direction, ect.

I didn't realize the motor/props where in the wrong spots until I started checking the rotation via the app/btu, for some reason my error jumped right out at me when I was looking at the graphic on the little screen! Go figure but I'll happily take it! Live and learn :)

Since the thing works, I now have added my landing gear, gimble & RePlay camera - pictures and videos to come shortly. Thanks again guys!