Naza-H and the Heli alternative

Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes. Something to note about the Skookum GPS, according to their website they just started shipping a few days ago.

hjls3

in an earlier post chris brought up a point that got me thinking...I am pulling the trigger on a 400-500 size heli today. for a couple reasons. more SRH stick time and want to learn the NAZA H. Eventually I would like to have a setup similar to Denny with WKM on the Zen and NAZA H on the heli. I am pretty settled on the LOGO 400 but should I consider a brand that has a bigger bird that can easily be transformed into AP ship. THere doesnt seem to be many using the Mikado for AP ships. I see TREX and Gaui. I havent flown enough different birds to know if they are really different from brand to brand. If they are, perhaps I should be looking at Gaui x5 or align 450. thoughts?....

Tahoe Ed

I would go for at least a 500. 450 is pretty small and you will be limited on camera selection. Also consider that you will have a GPS puck hanging on the tail boom, the controller and the receiver plus the LED to mount.

It has been said that the new Zen for GoPro will be compatible with both the Naza M and the WKM. I am hoping that they also make it work with the H versions.

hjls3

thanks Ed. my intentions are not to fly a camera with this purchase, but get some more stick time and learn the NAZA H. What i am pondering - would it be wise to buy a platform that has a big brother that would make a good AP ship. in other words - if I think I might end up with a TREX 700 should i get time with the Trex 450. I was all set on the LOGO 400 but it doesnt seem that many people are using the big Mikado for AP. I see photoship one has a bunch of stuff for the trex and gaui.

I would go for at least a 500. 450 is pretty small and you will be limited on camera selection. Also consider that you will have a GPS puck hanging on the tail boom, the controller and the receiver plus the LED to mount.

It has been said that the new Zen for GoPro will be compatible with both the Naza M and the WKM. I am hoping that they also make it work with the H versions.

DennyR

I just made the 1.04 upgrade. I should be testing it tomorrow or over the weekend.
A point worth mentioning. One half a turn out of tracking makes a lot of difference to the sound and the vibration with these asymmetric blades. There is more to it than just balance. If you remove the blades, as I often do when I get home. Make sure you mark where they came from.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I tested the new H firmware and It was great. I also tested out an idea to stop flicker from Blade shadows that hit the front of the lens when shooting towards the sun. The idea is to keep incident light from entering the side of the lens at the front element. This simple device was made from a wide angle hood that was shortened and a baffle plate added. It works very well. I also modified the Zen by moving the IMU bracket to the end of the rail so that I can reach the Nex-7 switch. While I was at it I put a small spirit level on the top so that I can check my horizon before take off. That is for when I don't have a monitor and shooting alone. It did of course need rebalancing. The latest Zenmuse firmware seems to have dealt with a drift issue on the roll when flying with the camera locked to the models heading. View attachment 9524

Attachments

• lens hood for Nex-7.jpg
    lens hood for Nex-7.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

No real need for GPS, but it's good to know to have one if things get mixed up in the air.....

Did you actually try a heli with combustion engine and camera ?....a lot more vibrations than on e-motors, but the flight times would be great

Chris

Not Gasser but a big Vario turbine. If you want to lift some weight then one of those will do.....
I am using a battery combination that give me a very safe 20 mins. I don't need more.