NAZA gimbal servo setup

trihokie

I am trying to get my 2 axis gimbal to operate correctly. I am controlling it with a DJI Naza. I am using the F1 and F2 outputs to control the pitch and roll. The problem is the servos do not stop once they get going in a particular direction. If I tilt the copter sideways, the gimbal will start rotating to correct for the motion, but rather than just correct, it continues to rotate until I tilt the copter in the opposite direction. same is true for the pitch. Also, I have the manual pitch adjustment controlled by my VR dial on my Futaba 8J radio. Rather than just move the gimbal pitch incrementally based on the dial motion, it initiates motion in the direction of the dial. If I move the dial slightly, the gimbal goes in that direction, but rather than move a bit and stop, it just keeps going until i turn the dial in the opposite direction.
I have tried different end point and gain values in the setup software with no success. I am using 360 degree servos. Is the flight controller expecting standard fixed rotation servos, and outputting a constant value for the set point? Is there any way to fix this problem in the NAZA setup software interface? Thanks.
View attachment 9372

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 721

trihokie

I think I am on the right track, now. Standard servos have a potentiometer built in. A standard servo can be hacked into a 360 degree servo by going inside and replacing the pot with two resistors. So, in a sense, I am reverse hacking the servo and putting the pot back in. Instead of putting the pot inside the servo, I am going to place it outside the servo and on each of the pitch and roll axises. That should tell the NAZA what it needs to know to stabilize the gimbal. It will tell the servo to turn until the potentiometer tells the NAZA that the gimbal is stable and to stop turning. That is my thought process, anyway.

soler

I am trying to get my 2 axis gimbal to operate correctly. I am controlling it with a DJI Naza. I am using the F1 and F2 outputs to control the pitch and roll. The problem is the servos do not stop once they get going in a particular direction. If I tilt the copter sideways, the gimbal will start rotating to correct for the motion, but rather than just correct, it continues to rotate until I tilt the copter in the opposite direction. same is true for the pitch. Also, I have the manual pitch adjustment controlled by my VR dial on my Futaba 8J radio. Rather than just move the gimbal pitch incrementally based on the dial motion, it initiates motion in the direction of the dial. If I move the dial slightly, the gimbal goes in that direction, but rather than move a bit and stop, it just keeps going until i turn the dial in the opposite direction.
I have tried different end point and gain values in the setup software with no success. I am using 360 degree servos. Is the flight controller expecting standard fixed rotation servos, and outputting a constant value for the set point? Is there any way to fix this problem in the NAZA setup software interface? Thanks.
View attachment 12086

TriHokie, How did you get on with that gimbal? I have a look at it but I was concerned about the speed of the roll axis.

Thanks

trihokie

The gimbal works OK. It is a bit heavier that I was hoping for, in that my flight time has dropped down to under 5 minutes with a 5200mah 3 cell battery. I am still experimenting with other designs, since I don't think I want to use this one the way it is performing right now. Here is a short video showing what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

soler

The gimbal works OK. It is a bit heavier that I was hoping for, in that my flight time has dropped down to under 5 minutes with a 5200mah 3 cell battery. I am still experimenting with other designs, since I don't think I want to use this one the way it is performing right now. Here is a short video showing what I did.

Thank you for the update, I too found it a little heavy and the roll axis too slow, I ended up sending it back and getting a photohigher clone which is performing much better. I did like the landing gear of this system as they do also sell retractable legs. Did you have any issues with it topling over on landing or was it solid?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

trihokie

I did like the landing gear of this system as they do also sell retractable legs. Did you have any issues with it topling over on landing or was it solid?
I found the rig to be very top heavy. I have as many topple over landings as I do upright landings. It is a bit comforting to know that I am, apparently, not alone. :tennis:

soler

soler,

any link to Photohiger clone gimbal ??

CH

This is the link to the photohigher clone http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=17292142120

For the gimbal only it is about 280US$ but they also sell the 360 pan, legs and modified servos etc. There are two differences to the photo higher but nothing major
It comes with one external POT for the roll axis but it would be easy to add one for the tilt too if needed.
It says Aerorover instead of photo higher.

Other than that the build quality is good.

soler

I found the rig to be very top heavy. I have as many topple over landings as I do upright landings. It is a bit comforting to know that I am, apparently, not alone. :tennis:

I never actually flew with it but that was my concern that the legs were too close together and it was quite high. You could extend the three 10x10 section bars or change the angle on the legs to make it a bit more stable.