Newbie Naza Questions

Danub

I am about to maiden up with the build and FW of my 1st NAZA. (not my 1st multi rotor)
I have:
Built
RTFM
Configured TX
set TX failsafe for 30% throttle and center sticks
Made sure nothing can hit the FC in flight (Thanks kloner)
Calibrated ESC's
Balanced props
Gone through the naza GUI setup
Mounted gps and configured offset in gui

I need to:
Do the calibration dance (w/o metal in pockts etc.)
Set declination for GPS
make a dummy weight for gimbal/camera

Questions:
I don't see any way to stop the props from spinning upon arming?? is it possible?
For the Naza guru's, is there anything I am overlooking??

A couple of pic's:

View attachment 9210View attachment 9211
Thanks for your thoughts

Attachments

• DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 234

tstrike

pendejo grande
I'd maybe take your gimbal off for your first flight, but that's just me being a puss. Nice looking rig, Rusty's frame?

Danub

I'd maybe take your gimbal off for your first flight, but that's just me being a puss. Nice looking rig, Rusty's frame?
Yep It is his uap1 with the UG1 gimbal (rustiCWave gimbal on some other forum)
I was going to make a dummy weight for the gimbal and nex5 so at least the weight handling will be the same while tuning. I'm scared. . . LOL
I just see all of these "my copter went crazy" threads and wanna triple check everything before I make a go at it.

tstrike

pendejo grande
One tip-don't be hesitant when you lift off, give it a good pop up in the air and get it out of its prop wash. The naza seems to want to tip if your timid with it.
good luck and have fun, they're a hoot!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I am about to maiden up with the build and FW of my 1st NAZA. (not my 1st multi rotor)

Questions:
I don't see any way to stop the props from spinning upon arming?? is it possible?
For the Naza guru's, is there anything I am overlooking??

Thanks for your thoughts

When you arm the Naza, the props are supposed to spin. What do you class as "Arming"?

Danub

When you arm the Naza, the props are supposed to spin. What do you class as "Arming"?
"arming". . . doing one of the 4 "combination stick commands" Which causes the props to "idle" in rate or atti mode.
With my quadrino and CC boards I can choose either option . . . motors to "idle" or not upon arming. . . .I guess Naza doesn't offer that choice?

Any tips for my 1st naza flight??

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Right, Naza just starts the motors to idle and will shut off after a few seconds if your throttle does not pass 10% stick. Your right, no option to stop that, but you can lower the RPMs, not recommended in most cases.

Most have said, and I will agree, when you take off, give it some throttle or it will try to bounce in Atti mode. Some like to take off in Manual mode and flick to Atti once up, either works for me really. As normal, keep your distance and expect it to drift to one side or the other. Apart from that, it should be pretty simple, and I will explain how simple.

I was out of RC for many years, I just recently got back into it with a DJI F450 as my first quad. Never used anything like the Naza before, and to tell you the truth, I was worried about my investment. It went extremely easy although I was apprehensive at first, she went up and stayed up. I was extremely happy to get it to hover for the first time, and now I just lift off with no issues most of the time.

I expect your hex to do even better, they are more stable to fly as I see around here. If your concerned about tipping it over, it will probably happen.... Sit it on something level, arm it, increase your throttle to the point where is wants to lift, make sure everything seems ok and give it a punch to get it at least 4 - 5 feet up and back off a little. when your happy, set your throttle at around 50% and see how she hovers.

Have fun with it, let us know how it goes.... your going to love it... trust me, you will..

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
You know????/
Thats the best advice one can get. When you take off, plan on launching to a few feet off the ground immediately rather than the sloooow wooosie throttle up and hope it will scoot gently sideways for a while and then rise to 6" off the ground.
The NAZA will make things simple once in the air....doesn't do anything positive at 3" in the air. :)

Danub

Anybody understand why my gimbal is acting like this on my uap
It doesn't keep the gimbal level on the tilt axis compared to the copter. . . . Not even close.
I am guessing it is something to do with the gimbal outputs but the manual seems to be a bit short on onfo.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSVKbZLj5zg

Danub

Anybody understand why my gimbal is acting like this on my uap
It doesn't keep the gimbal level on the tilt axis compared to the copter. . . . Not even close.
I am guessing it is something to do with the gimbal outputs but the manual seems to be a bit short on onfo.
I figured it out.
1. my external potentiometer position needed to be adjusted in relation to the camera tray (not naza related)
2. I had to turn down the gain on my tilt axis in the GUI.

Now my gimbal is ready for fine/flight tuning. . . . Dang weather isn't being very cooperative. LOL

Danub

Thanks for all of the tips guys . . . I calibrated and maidened my UAP1 today. . . All was uneventful. . . just what I like in a maiden ;)

Couple of general observations:
1. In atti mode it seems to be a bit of a fight to move. . . It is almost like the sticks are fighting back? Is this usual
2. Some times when motors are "idling" 1 or 2 motors are not turning? Is this normal? I think so, as when I throttle up they all spin up well before liftoff and fly well.

Time to calibrate the magnetic declination and get gps/atti worked out.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
If your using programmable ESC's, you may need to calibrate them. When in Atti mode, it should be no different but try to maintain an altitude, I do notice with mine, in Atti rather than manual, the motor speeds are a lot different. Maybe a little more gain on the stick your having issues with might solve it?

Danub

Esc's are calibrated, I am not too worried about the occasional lazy prop. . . should I be?
Atti definitely feels "tuned down" in every way compared to rate mode. . . .but it does a great job of holding altitude @50% throttle :)
I think it is just "handling shock" from the other FC's I have used.
I have seen a video of Kloner. . . Rockin' like 50mph W/his disco in Atti along the railroad tracks. (i'm 90%sure it was atti mode)
I am just gonna wait for some more nice weather and fly some packs with my laptop trying some different settings to get a better feel of atti mode.
Also maybe crank up my rates in my TX?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Crank the rates in the assistant software, first off, make a backup of your settings, then go play.. :)

Danub

^ Yeah they seem a little more agreeable 20% higher @110
Video gear is on the way for this rig then videos will commence ;)

What do you guys set your low voltage protection at??

OH yeah, Next test GPS/atti and failsafe . . . Any tips beforehand??