Naza..dead end..increase in altitude with forward flight

tedpretty

My DJI F550 flew like a dream a week ago. Then the thing started to act funny. It would descend when I rolled to the right or left and even on a pitch to the front or to the back. I put tape on the Naza and played with the gains and that got the descention problem to go away. Now I have a new issue. The craft INCREASES when I fly forward...it then corrects itself when I let go of the stick. I'm not sure how to correct this. I'm flying with stock motors/esc's, Graupner 10" props, 3s 4000 mAh batteries, no landing gear, Naza/GPS...this happens in ATTI & GPS modes. I have calibrated everything, balanced the props and motors to the best of my ability. My gain settings are 145/145/140/160 Atti gains are 110/110. I realize the Atti gains are meant to change how quickly the naza corrects stability after a movement, but I though it was to correct a DECREASE in height, not an increase in height. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong? I'm afraid the barometer might be failing on me in the Naza.

kloner

Aerial DP
try moving your atti gains down just a tad, say sub 100 towards 90........ if this is in short distances it's usually a cg issue. post up a picture of what you got

I persoanlly have seen this as well with throttle trim active and having it move. there is a way to dissable throttle trim, it should be done just to keep that consistent

Last edited by a moderator:

tedpretty

Here's what I have...pictures are on the lower deck and then with the top...I'm not thinking cg would be an issue with an increase of altitude, but who knows. All I know is that the increase in altitude is greater with increased speed...not as much with a slower forward movement. I had someone suggest it I might want to adjust the expo settings. I'll have to investigate that on my Aurora 9. I'm still under the impression that my barometer in the Naza is a piece of junk. The increase in altitude has never been this pronounced.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 215

kloner

Aerial DP
if your forward flying alot, move the battery back a tad and go try it again. CG is everything

theres no camera?

tedpretty

I'll try moving Atti gains, investigate trims, & move battery back an inch or two. I'll also introduce expo at -30%.

Thanks kroner...appreciate it so much!

No camera yet. I have landing gear & go pro gimble. (Aeroxcraft) I'm just trying to get proficient flying before I add another $500 to it!

I'll wait to get a gopro2 unt after the gopro3 release in a couple of weeks. Maybe save a couple of bucks.

kloner

Aerial DP
these things are usually rock solid, but it take some finagling. alot has to do with overall tune, balance of props, motors, etc all play a factor. but when there dialed in and given a chance, mine carries it the same altitude within a foot or so for miles on end. my cg is back where the rear arms meet the frame but my frames alot different shaped.

If you throwing it full forward then full back in a small area, that's not really what it's made for and it'll act like such

this is naza in atti holding altitude

tedpretty

I am doing just that...throwing it forward strong for about 100-200 feet. I'm not at all confident it would fly like the video of the railroad tracks though.

Man, that is sharp, steady vid...what kind of cam?

kloner

Aerial DP
sony as-10, thanks

try to give it justa little forward then let it glide flat then pull back a little, like aerial video style and see if it still acts the same. To throw atti around is to need alot of ground and tune it way back to let it do it's thing

more

tedpretty

So I put the battery back an inch, dropped Atti gains to 90, even worked some trim gains, & set ale/ele expo at -30%...& the thing still increases with forward movement...decreases with backward movement...even while gently moving then relaxing the stick. It's not subtle...it is very pronounced.

I'm going back in a few minutes to work the course lock and see if it does it while I rotate the craft 180 degrees (red arms will then be in back). This way I will be able to tell if it could be a balance or motor issue...of if the naza is messed up somehow. My theory is that the naza is not working properly. It is still flyable..and will let me get some go pro pics and vid...but it won't be ideal.

Tedpretty sorry off subject for moment.

Kloner great videos. I know this is probably a stupid question but is that sand or snow along the train tracks. :)

Tedpretty. Just a couple of things and I know that you said it flew fine before. but the NAZA looks off centre and an ESC wire looks to be mixed in / passing through the Rx leads this may well effect its performance. Have you also tried calibrating the IMU in the assistant software. Just some thoughts.

Andrew

kloner

Aerial DP
So I put the battery back an inch, dropped Atti gains to 90, even worked some trim gains, & set ale/ele expo at -30%...& the thing still increases with forward movement...decreases with backward movement...even while gently moving then relaxing the stick. It's not subtle...it is very pronounced.

I'm going back in a few minutes to work the course lock and see if it does it while I rotate the craft 180 degrees (red arms will then be in back). This way I will be able to tell if it could be a balance or motor issue...of if the naza is messed up somehow. My theory is that the naza is not working properly. It is still flyable..and will let me get some go pro pics and vid...but it won't be ideal.

balance in a yaw and balance in a forward to stopped possition are so different i don't even know how else to tell you. when you pitch forward, your motors shift from on top to out front of the craft, that makes it extremely nose heavy forward, tail heavy at a hover. when you set these up, you either set them up totaly flat cg so they hover and do drift shots like AP AV or you set em up extremely tail heavy and pitch em forward. There is no both......... not without totaly changing where everything is and changing CG.

You very well could have a problem with your naza, i've seen alot of defective ones posting on here lately, ones where nothing helps it...... but i've also flown one for a year. Put a camera on this thing and lets see what lifes like aboard your ship. Youd be surprised what seems great from los isn't always such on board.

kloner

Aerial DP
Tedpretty sorry off subject for moment.

Kloner great videos. I know this is probably a stupid question but is that sand or snow along the train tracks. :)

Tedpretty. Just a couple of things and I know that you said it flew fine before. but the NAZA looks off centre and an ESC wire looks to be mixed in / passing through the Rx leads this may well effect its performance. Have you also tried calibrating the IMU in the assistant software. Just some thoughts.

Andrew

that is sand from the deserts of Southern California. it has never snowed there since i've been alive that i'm aware of. That video was probably 6:30 am and was most likely in the 80's.... is till about now, highs drop to mid 70's and overnight lows in the mid 50s to mid 30's. It is a place called Ocotillo, CA

tedpretty

I tested what would happen if I turned the thing 180 and used course lock. The thing still went up in alt when I pitched it forward.

Here's what I did though. I've only been flying for a month or so. I've had my share of crashes...only when I try manual mode. I just think I was too stiff on the sticks when I would force it forward. I changed my expo to -50% on ale/ele...this gets me into a slow drift and it seems to be moving beautifully. (Thanks Tahoe Ed)

At this point, I say screw it. I installed landing gear today and I'll fly for a few weeks getting used to that...and landing (kind of tough at first). By the end of the month I'll put a go pro in this thing and get some vid. If the Naza acts up during this stretch, I'll worry about it then.

I'm not even sure DJI would honor a warranty...I'm sure my dealer (gonitrohobbies on eBay) would fight me every step of the way.

Anyway, thanks kloner! I'm sure I'll have some fun vid issues for you in December!

Hey Ted see you met Kloner! He has been my main source of trouble shooting as well lol Great guy with what seems to be an endless amount of knowledge on these darn things...

Kloner I've never thought about the whole CG issue in forward flight compared to just a hover...I've had the same problems Ted is having and finally will be receiving my replacement NAZA this week!!! I just remember when I use to fly it during the first few flight my forward flight was so stable...anyway I'll give this stuff a shot again hope we can resolve some of these issues!!

kloner

Aerial DP
keep us updated........

the crashing is a biggie too, knocking motors outta whack so they don't rev/idle right anymore is easy to do. especialy with stock motors, built in prop adapters, can't even swap em out

johnthorn

Hi I notice your GPS unit is miss-aligned it is pointing off to the right about 15 to 20 degrees it should be facing straight to the front, if you realign it and recalibrate the compass, clean up your wiring ie use cable ties you will eliminate some problems from your list. Hope this helps

kloner

Aerial DP
good eye and bet your right, except it's not the gps, it's the naza unit itself...... that needs to be alot closer

tedpretty

Thanks johnyhorn....

I'm trying to aim the GPS 11 degrees to the right...compensating for magnetic declination. I'll clean up the wires, but doubt it will make a difference.

What seemed to help most was the expo gains. I have it set at -65% now. (My vert gain is 180)
I was really giving it "gas" when it would really elevate. With slower, smoother movements it is still there, but much better.

Let me get a camera on this thing and see if it is too much elevation with forward movement.

Hey kloner...the naza needs to be closer?