NAZA Assistant Calibration with RC Transmitter.

delete

deleted

Attachments

• calibrate.jpg
    calibrate.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:

mrbonk

Peter, can I ask what your original problem was when you posted this image? The reason I ask is because I'm having what appears to be a very similar issue, whereby occasionally, the NAZA M boots up and detects a small amount of right aileron input, even though the sticks are centered and there is no trim being applied. If I land, reboot it and go again, it's all good. I just wonder if it's perhaps a firmware issue that's yet to be discovered/rectified?

The original issue was that the aileron trim kept drifting following bench calibration with NAZA assitant and my RC radio system, i.e., Futaba with s.bus used.
By the end of the first or 2nd flight I had to trim the MR in the air significantly to the port side to have the MR remain stationary with no hands on the joysticks.
There was also some minor drift in the elevator. So I swapped placement of two motors to try to correct this...
Even after many flights I still have the same issues.
In the photo above I had reached a point where I was no longer able to get a bench calibration with Naza Assistant and the radio so that the aileron would remain green, i.e., centered.
Since the MR hit a concrete floor fairly hard not long after I first started flying, I assumed the issue was a damaged motor and/or esc.

More recently I was able to regain control of the bench calibration and aerial trim while flying.... time will tell how this works out once I replace a suspect motor and/or esc.

mrbonk

Ok, so we have the same issue then. I load up the assistant software and try to perform a calibration and sometimes, the aileron channel will not remain centered at the end of the process. However, if I reboot the unit and try again, I get all greens. I'm beginning to suspect it's a firmware issue with the unit itself, as it's brand new and has never even had a hard landing, let alone a crash.

If I was consistently getting an out of calibration aileron channel, I'd be prepared to accept it might be an installation/location issue, but the fact that most of the time it calibrates perfectly suggests it's the unit itself and not anything I've done.

I think the best idea will be to contact DJI and ask them directly.

I am moving my s.bus Futaba receiver over to my new WKM. So I will now do another test using my Futaba 7 channel receiver which does not have s.bus..... Calibrations results using individual channel inputs will help to determine if the issue is specific to s.bus and related factors or not.

thekubiaks

Same issue

I am getting the EXACT issue with my Spektrum DX8 as the picture in post # 1. It is interesting that it is happening on several radio types. This has to be firmware. I used subtrim to center my aileron to green in the DJI assistant. It now continues to show centered every time I plug my DJI F450 NAZA GPS into Assistant 1.8 firmware 2.02 BUT whenever I engage GPS mode, the F450 drifts right about 10 feet and then returns to the spot I activated GPS. Other than that, hovers beautifully and everything works perfectly.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I swapped the position of two motor on my MR and the ability to achieve calibration became available again. However the drift issue is still there...... manageable but still a nuisance as I have to reconnect to my Naza Assistant once again after every 5 or 6 flights to recalibrate. Othwerwise the drift is so far that the motors cannot be started without resetting trims back to zero positions on the radio transmitter then retrimming in the air!!!

I am getting the EXACT issue with my Spektrum DX8 as the picture in post # 1. It is interesting that it is happening on several radio types. This has to be firmware. I used subtrim to center my aileron to green in the DJI assistant. It now continues to show centered every time I plug my DJI F450 NAZA GPS into Assistant 1.8 firmware 2.02 BUT whenever I engage GPS mode, the F450 drifts right about 10 feet and then returns to the spot I activated GPS. Other than that, hovers beautifully and everything works perfectly.

mrbonk

Something else I've noticed....if I boot up to fly and it takes a little while to find satellites, I'm virtually guaranteed that it will drift to the right after I take off. However, if I boot up, wait for the red light to stop flashing, then disconnect the power and boot up again, all is well. No drift at all. So, now when I go to fly, I always just boot it up twice.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
After initial boot-up, flip your Attitude switch into GPS mode. If the blinking is correct for GPS and no red flashes, then your MR should have found it's proper new home point location and there should be no reason for the MR to drift after takeoff provided it is in GPS mode. If it is in Attitude mode, expect it to wander because it has no reason not to. And wandering in attitude mode suggests that there is a breeze and/or there is an inflight trimming issue that can be resolved by the Transmitter joystick controls.

Regarding the quality of the DJI hardware and software.... I have tremendous faith although the WKM is alway a bit more robust in these areas. The firmware is always subject to buggy setbacks everytime there are new features added!

Something else I've noticed....if I boot up to fly and it takes a little while to find satellites, I'm virtually guaranteed that it will drift to the right after I take off. However, if I boot up, wait for the red light to stop flashing, then disconnect the power and boot up again, all is well. No drift at all. So, now when I go to fly, I always just boot it up twice.

mrbonk

there should be no reason for the MR to drift after takeoff provided it is in GPS mode.

This *is* in GPS mode. That's the problem. If it was just in Atti and drifting with the breeze then I would understand. My 'fix' seems to work every time though. Boot up, wait for it to find satellites, shut down, restart and immediately fly. If I do a flight soon after the first one, so it doesn't have to go looking for satellites again, I get exactly the same issue if I don't fly immediately after booting up. If I leave it sit for a little while (like if I'm starting up the wifi connection to the GoPro and starting the recording), it drifts.

I'm more than happy to just do the double boot-up thing, but it's very strange all the same!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am quite sure that the DJI online FAQ section has a comment about drifting and how to avoid it..... something to do with delay time before launch etc. check it out. Too bad they did not include that tidbit in their Naza user manual!!!!

mrbonk

Nope....that relates to not moving the craft for 5 seconds after you connect power, while the MC is booting up.

thekubiaks

I did discover a work around for this issue. What I do (since the DJI Assistant always shows the aileron center to the right), is to go into the aileron subtrim before transmitter calibration and go 10 units LEFT. I then hookup the DJI Assistant to the NAZA and do a transmitter calibration. If I got the amount of subtrim correct, the aileron will center up in the green. I bounce the elevator/aileron stick around several times to make sure it doesn't jump back to 10 units right. I had a bunch of flights after doing this and the drift stopped. When I hook up the DJI assistant and look at the Tx calibration, it still shows the aileron as green.

btw, I did a dumb thing. Before this fix, I tried to fix the drift by playing with the aileron subtrim while the F450 was in GPS position hold (dumb idea), regardless of which way I went with the aileron subtrim, the F450 took off in random directions, fortunately no crashes.