That was lucky

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Well after reading the horror stories with the DJI Standard props, I went off to order some replacement GemFan Black Carbon Mix 10x4.5 (DJI Motor), of which are a direct replacement for the DJI props. Can't beat them for $2.00 a prop!, anyway, while I was looking at my motors, I span the props and found a noisy one, turns out I have a bad bearing on one of them.

Same place has replacement bearings for the DJI 2212 Motors, shaft seems ok as there is no movement of the blade, but I can feel it loose within the bearing. Just think, the next flight could have cost me a lot more than $20 and some change.

My point is, make sure you check your blades, motors and bearing before each flight. It might save you a couple of hundred $$ if you do.

If your wondering where I got these blades and bearings.... go here. https://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=178&cat=GemFan+Carbon/ABS+Mix+Prop

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
The only issue (touch wood *taps head*) I have had with the DJI props so far is the 10" ones have not been balanced or aren't tracking properly, which I have been lazy to get around to. The 8"s have been running well with stock weight + HERO3 without any balancing on my part.

How do these GemFan's compare to the Graupner's that everyone raves about? I will want to upgrade before I start putting more weight on.

They look good and for a good price. It's nice to not have to make modifications and hope they're fitting right for someone inexperienced. Did you check the balance on them?

-Tony

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I have not got them as yet, just placed the order yesterday evening. I am uncertain of the balance, but really, any blade/prop should be checked and balanced.

I have heard nothing bad about GemFans, so I hope these will work out good for me. I do not want my blades to break in mid flight, plus I have a landing gear setup coming that will allow my GoPro H2 to mount under the unit, the more I add to this, the more money I have in the air... lol

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
So today my package arrived from GotHeliRC, everything in tact and very well packed. Have to say I am very impressed with the service and shall use them in future.

The props I ordered fit right on the motors, no special reaming or fitment of the props. Direct replacement JemFan props, nice and clean.

The bearings from GotHeliRC are also a direct replacement, it fixed my issue with the DJI 2212 motor I am using, 10 minutes and it was rebuilt with new bearings, and the noise and slop I had from the motor is now gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
That's great! On your recommendation I also placed an order yesterday and I already have a tracking number.

They ship pretty quick, I have installed mine and flown around my front room. I want to get it outside and put them under a lot of load to see how they fair, I would rather they break at low altitude, if you know what I mean :)

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I like your style "fly around the front room". Yeah flight test them for me.. that way you can let me know if they break!, LOL

LOL, too cold and windy, plus it is dark outside. I have to be careful, last time I did this, I trashed some of my wife's collectibles... Guess who was in the dog house for a week.. lol

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Order placed inc. balancer :)

Also please include some LED strips and anything else that I don't really need.

*cuts credit card in half while crying and eating cake* DON'T JUDGE MEEEEEEE

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Order placed inc. balancer :)

Also please include some LED strips and anything else that I don't really need.

*cuts credit card in half while crying and eating cake* DON'T JUDGE MEEEEEEE

LMAO.... I heard the LED strips these guys sell are enclosed in a rubber coating, unlike some of the other ones which are just surface mounted. I like that idea and was also looking into getting the LED's and a maglev balancer. I don't trust the one I have now.

LMAO.... I heard the LED strips these guys sell are enclosed in a rubber coating, unlike some of the other ones which are just surface mounted. I like that idea and was also looking into getting the LED's and a maglev balancer. I don't trust the one I have now.

LOL... I ordered both! Pass the cake please...

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I got my quad out yesterday, my in-laws are fascinated with it and want me to do some aerials of their house. Anyway, it was very windy with some strong gusts, but I wanted to see how these new props work out. They seem to be doing pretty good, but I was a chicken and did not want to put too much altitude on the quad due to the winds. Tested some forceful climbing and the props seem to be pretty good, nothing bad to report yet.. :)

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Did you film at all? What was your feel for the balance of the props out of the bags?

They don't seem to bad, but I do not trust my prop balancer either. It is a cheap thing and I am going to replace it, some time soon.

No filming at this time, I have removed my GoPro waiting on my Landing skids to come in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil550

So today my package arrived from GotHeliRC, everything in tact and very well packed. Have to say I am very impressed with the service and shall use them in future.

The props I ordered fit right on the motors, no special reaming or fitment of the props. Direct replacement JemFan props, nice and clean.

The bearings from GotHeliRC are also a direct replacement, it fixed my issue with the DJI 2212 motor I am using, 10 minutes and it was rebuilt with new bearings, and the noise and slop I had from the motor is now gone.

I think I have a similar problem with one of my motors so I'm going to order a set of bearings. I assume that they are easy to fix if it only took 10 mins - do you need any special tools? Are they a push fit or do you need to use Loctite of similar?
Can you change the bearings without taking the motor off the arm?
Does anyone have an exploded view of the motor components so that I can see what's involved?
Thanks

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
You have to remove the motor from the arm, under the motor is a clip, remove and don't loose the little bushing that is under the clip. With a little force, you can pull the top part of the motor off of the bottom part.

The bearings will tap out with a small drift, I used a small hex wrench to do this, put the drift inside the first to knock out the bottom, then reverse and do the same for the top. When you put the new ones in, just seat them with your fingers making sure they are all the way in.

Pretty simple to do, I should have done some photos to show. Sorry..

I think I'm going to order a couple sets of bearings too. I noticed when changing my props I had a slight bit more of free play on one of the motors. It was barely noticeable but it was slightly different than the other five.

When you lift on your props do you notice even free play around your motors?

Thanks, Tony