Naza all of the sudden flipping over. firmware?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have had hardly any issues like this since i got it. I stuck the heli in the closet for a few weeks. Now that I take it out and try it again it just flips over to the right. I need full left cyclic just to lift it off the ground. I did plug it into the computer though before flying to see if there was a firmware upgrade. The controls were normal directions so it cant be orientation. Any ideas? 3 times in a row just pops over to the right. Of course i am showing a friend how well it flies and it has to act up for the first time!

DennyR

One thing that is very important is that you must not touch the model for five seconds when you power up the board. usually when connecting the battery people hold the model on its side and that would cause that problem.
D.

mailman35

i had a slight problem with my hex yesterday where it flew great in the morning ( as good as it could) it kept wanting to slide backwards, took cycling the battery and radio a few times for some reason.
mine does do wierd stuff if i turn it on w/o the radio being on.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I had the same one once with my WKM CX setup. Never found out what the reason was for it now its behaving again. From beginning on the props were speeding up at different speeds.

Minute 1;42 the action starts

Iris do you hear some strange speeding up of the props/motors right after arming ?

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

I had one flight that was perfect. Next flight right after it just flipped on takeoff. I think it was due to a bad boot up. I touched the power and then it disconnected for a split second then connected. Been fine ever since and I'm always sure to reboot if it doesn't connect solidly.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Props are definitely fine. Didnt touch anything for over 5 seconds. Radio was on first(as it always should be). I tried it again by unplugging battery. I do also notice that I get more and more red flashing lights. I always disconnect and start over until it blinks normally in atti mode. Like I said , nothing really changed from before and it has always flew perfectly with the exception of a little drift to the right. Another issue I cant resolve.

Lanzar

In our experience if u have a kit with motors, then its motor fault. Dont ask me why but we changed 3x naza and same problems. Flip of death. After changing esc, no luck. When we replaced motors all the trubles went away. With diferent kind ofc.

Dune

Has happened to me a few times, and I don't know why. Probably is my fault somehow - it usually is.

If it keeps flipping, don't try and force it up into the air to see if it levels. I did this once, and it just ended up doing a line drive fast as can be, then into the ground.

DennyR

I am not to sure what happened in that last firmware upgrade but my motors would not arm afterwards, so I swapped over to another frame that has different ESC's and it was fine. Something going on - maybe they are now using over 400hz on the new DJI ESC's. Don't know if that is true yet. The small flat low Kv.T-Motors similar to what they use on the S800 do need much higher timing than you can get from a standard 30A plush. If you can hear a strange noise when you open the throttle then the motor is going to stop in the air. Too low timing.

DennyR

Props are definitely fine. Didnt touch anything for over 5 seconds. Radio was on first(as it always should be). I tried it again by unplugging battery. I do also notice that I get more and more red flashing lights. I always disconnect and start over until it blinks normally in atti mode. Like I said , nothing really changed from before and it has always flew perfectly with the exception of a little drift to the right. Another issue I cant resolve.

I think that flashing red light is a bad calibration I had to redo mine a couple of times before it took the new data.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It's possible that just trying to do a firmware upgrade, even without one being available, erases the current calibration. what doesn;t make sense is that it has done this in the past (the blinking red lights) and after I reboot the controller it works fine. Seems to need a few battery plugins to get right. I wont even bother asking DJI how to fix any of this.

DennyR

Do you have a switch or just plug-in the battery? A switch is required IMHO as it should be close to level when you switch on.

Dune

If you can hear a strange noise when you open the throttle then the motor is going to stop in the air. Too low timing.

So that's what that is! I thought I might have been hearing things. Something to look out for.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would never use a switch as it is just another thing to go wrong. Plus, I have flown it plenty of times without this happening. it has always drifted to the right but never this. What the heck is it? I checked that the calibration was good. I so rarely flew this that it seems there is no way it can be wear. Motors are tight and feel fine. All motors look and sound normal when idling. Any more ideas? What changes from storing something in the closet for a month?

kloner

Aerial DP
first thing that comes to mind is it getting hit or touched while in the closet making a connector not as solid as when was built. a bearing could have had a little damage, if it sat and had any moisture available, it can rust the non chrome part of the ball where damage woulda been and make it act stupid through changing rpms.

Have you tried taking the props off and going full throttle in manual and feeling around for vibes? sounds shoulda showed it, but ya never know

I can't imagine the sensor got screwed up from just sitting, but what happened to make it go into a closet? did you crash it and get pissed so put it away? Did you repair it and put it away? just trying to think of stuff i'd have done

Got a vid?

kloner

Aerial DP
flex all the props and make sure one isn't cracked.

youd think its something your overlooking. all my friends new to this always have a prop wrong or 1 motor spinning backwards and don't see it. was why was thinking a vid might help somebody catch the problem if it's physical. if it's a malfunctioning naza, none of us are gonna catch the problem

Did maybe the foam tape you used to install it get hard? that white VHB tape they give us gets hard after a while., maybe it's a vibe induced problem? are the graupners balanced? is a bearing going out? spin each one and hold the leg underneath and feel for anything different between motors. how many hours are on it? maybe a motor needs oil. do you feel any heat after trying to lift it off in any motor/motors?

DennyR

I would never use a switch as it is just another thing to go wrong. Plus, I have flown it plenty of times without this happening. it has always drifted to the right but never this. What the heck is it? I checked that the calibration was good. I so rarely flew this that it seems there is no way it can be wear. Motors are tight and feel fine. All motors look and sound normal when idling. Any more ideas? What changes from storing something in the closet for a month?

How can you plug it in without getting some movement. This is very sensitive. This is very important the first time you try it. My Naza sits perfectly level every time I switch it on. When it lifts off it rises perfectly. A damaged prop will cause a yaw, out of balance will cause an initial drift. offset trim will also cause a big drift.
If your motors sound like they are hunting then it's the ESC problem. If one motor is getting hot Change it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Again, nothing has changed. I have been plugging in my helis without a switch for a while and never had a problem. That may cause drift at best. Props all correct. No weird noises. Didnt crash it before this happened. It flew fine a month ago. I picked it up, put a charged battery on it. Put it on the ground and gave it some throttle. All lights were normal. calibration checked out fine. Motors spin up normally with no odd noises. Do I need a video?

This happened to my Xaircraft too. Just flew it one day and out of the blue just started tilting heavy left. There was no change anywhere. Something just went koo koo in the FC somewhere-permanently. So it makes a decent gimbal controller, that's about it.