N00b needs advice on selecting F550 build components.

First off, Hiya! Brand new member here. I wasn't getting answers to my questions posted on another multirotor forum so I bailed and have come over here. Seems to be much more active! So on to my questions and here's to hoping for some answers...

I've been flying my Phantom v1.1.1 for a while now and I'm having a blast. It's outfitted with just a GoPro Hero HD & an anti-jello mount. Video footage is okay, but not nearly as smooth as I want or need without a gimbal. I was contemplating adding a new board to the phantom along with a Zenmuse H3-2D and a GoPro Hero3+. However the more I thought about it the more it made sense to go with a larger more stable platform. I think I'll be happier in the end with an F550 all decked out vs a modified Phantom. This platform will be used primarily for amateur videography.

So...

I ordered just the F550 Flame Wheel kit off of Amazon to get me started (Frame, ESC's, Motors, Props, $318). However I just read somewhere that as of the end of February new F550 kits are coming with different motors & ESC's. If my F550 arrives with the old motor's & ESC's should I send it back and order from a different source so I can get the newer stuff? Are the new motor's & ESC that much better than the original equipment?

I chose the NEEWER FPV Anti-vibration Multifunction Landing Skid. Pro's or Con's for this landing skid? I was hoping to use the skid as a battery mounting location too. I want the top of my F550 to be clean with only the GPS antennae mounted square in the middle (or as close to) if this is even possible.

I'm planning on going with the DJI Naza-m V2 Flight Controller & GPS. Is there any reason not to use this?

I also need to make a decision on a receiver/transmitter. I was looking at the Spektrum DX8 DSMX Transmitter and the Spektrum AR8000 8-Channel DSMX Receiver. I know a lot of people use Futaba's, but I'm trying to cut my overall cost a little bit and these are almost half the cost of a similar Futaba setup. What is the general opinion on this radio/transmitter combo?

Of course I plan on getting a Zenmuse H3-2D and a Hero3+ to hang off of my bird to handle the video recording. Might even opt for the H3-3D if it's available in time.

I will also add a DJI iOSD Mini for FPV. However I have yet to decide on an FPV transmitter/receiver system... There are more than a few choices out there and I'm still researching through them. I haven't even made up my mind as to whether I will use a flat monitor screen or go with something like a set of Fat Shark goggles. Suggestions in this area are more than welcome.

So that's my plan thus far. Could use some critique from those who have been there.

Thanks!

U.M.

coreyperez

U.M.

I too am flying a 550, but with full DJI accompaniment. I’ve been content with the equipment that DJI provided. I’m curious, most of the “DJI 550” stuff is knock-off on Amazon. Is yours an actual DJI or the knock-off version? I got my 550 last year just at Christmas time. I have seen DJI has released a “matched set” of motors and ESC, but I haven’t heard of a change in equipment. Nor have I looked.

On my 550 I’ve got the top clean with the exception of the antennas. It shouldn’t be a problem. I’m using a little more “higher end” landing gear, but considering doing away because my 550 seems to weigh about as much as a VW bug at this point.

As far as the –M v2, I’d have to say that I love mine. It needs to be checked, you have to be smart and follow the “rules” (stuff like consistently checking the settings, fail-safe, don’t use the GoPro WiFi, etc), but it’s worth it. I’m looking forward to getting a XAircraft SuperX. On paper its “better” than the –M v2, but having just talked to a guy about programming it, I believe it’s not quite as “intuitive” with the programming. Naza has developed a nice “GUI” for the user. It isn’t perfect, but with some work, you can learn to understand and determine what you want. The LARGEST learning curve is the radio, which you asked about so I’ll cover that now.

I started out with a Turnigy 9xr. You mentioned a few things that have ME concerned (but then again I don’t know any solid answers, so this is my opinion). For around $100 initial cost, my 9XR was an excellent stepping stone. It got me flying and I enjoyed using it. I felt the look was much nicer than that FrySky Taranis (or whatever it’s called, but that radio is UGLY, but technically “better”). I’ve since determined that I’m flying over $2000. Why would I chance that with a sub-par radio system. So, now directly onto the Spektrum radios. I don’t know if some are problematic and some are not, I never determined, all I DO know is that with FPV, GoPro and Spektrum WHEN COMBINED with Naza, they seem to be a VERY FINE LINE between trouble and no trouble. I couldn’t get far enough away from those radios. I heard time, time and time again of people losing link, having problems and just overall unimpressed with that equipment. So, what did I get? (Because… I Know IT ALL! (rolling my eyes here)). I found the Futaba 14SG met all of my needs and desires. The 8FG (I think it is) has the upgrade to 14ch and is (as you said) about ½ the price. It’s a nice radio and well suited for the MultiRotor (MR) venue. The learning curve for my Radio/Receiver (TX/RX) was pretty steep, all the mixes, switch config’s, etc, gets one “lost in the sauce” if you will. Lots to learn and program, but I’m sure that is the same with all the radios.

DJI just release the H3-3D and I just seen a rumor that the H3-2D may be discontinued. I don’t see WHY they would, especially since the -2D is $350ish and the -3D (from what I’ve found online) is nearly $1000. That is significantly too large of a price jump to even consider it an option in my book. I’d never pay $1k for a GoPro gimbal. That is nuts. Plus, if you are going to spend an additional $600 for a yaw servo on your gimbal, you should PROBABLY spend that money on a solid radio system…

While on Video and because it was your next topic: I’m using the boscam 200mw TX/RX from readymaderc.com Its not great, picture quality is “ok” (could also be because of the TX/RX) and this is a direct video feed from my GoPro, but for $60 it got me up FPV. I too just got the iOSD mini. Since you are looking into the future, purchase this stuff on Ebay (China retailers) and save yourself some money. I’ve found some for under $70 (iosd) on there. Just keep looking. I also got a 7” LCD monitor off amazon. It looks MUCH better than the 9” one I got from Amazon as well. I’m just using it to “get by” until I get a set of goggles, and at that point it will become my backup. Also as a note, I got 1/2 mile with my 200mw video system before it fuzzed up and I couldn't see.

Hope that helps!

Corey

Couple links: (first is about programming fail/safe and how straight forward it is not, and the other is my FPV)
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?18114-What-is-the-possiblity-I-stumbled-upon-(at-least-a-partial-cuase)-of-the-DJI-Fly-Away&highlight=coreyperez
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?18139-Just-another-boy-with-a-Base-Station&highlight=coreyperez

Last edited by a moderator:

Earp

I have an F550. I love it so far.

Flight control: With a Naza V2, you are in the same price range as a Pixhawk. I really like mine and my friend with a F550 is selling his Naza V2 to get one. Take a look at the 3DR website and see what you think, the choice is clear to me.

Gimbal: Tarot T-2D, its much less than the Zenmuse and seems to be just as good.

Landing gear: I am waiting on the same one to be delivered, I can tell you what I think of it when it gets here.

Radio: Take a look at the taranis, it gets great reviews.

coreyperez

Its good to hear that the T-2D Tarot is a good option. I turned a friend on to it, but hadn't ever seen/used it. Glad somebody has and has good luck with it. I still need to "correct" myself on the pricing of the H3-3D. I had the price wrong and told a friend it was 1k for the it. BUT, I don't think he was interested in it anyway.

Corey

First off, THANKS COREY!
U.M.

I too am flying a 550, but with full DJI accompaniment. I’ve been content with the equipment that DJI provided. I’m curious, most of the “DJI 550” stuff is knock-off on Amazon. Is yours an actual DJI or the knock-off version?
My 550 was in fact a genuine DJI and it did come with the original motor's & ESC's, not the newer E300 system. So I've decided to stick with this original 550 setup for now. I read somewhere that the new E300 system is restricted to a specific set of props?

On my 550 I’ve got the top clean with the exception of the antennas. It shouldn’t be a problem.
Well then unless someone comes on here and posts something to the contrary I'm going to drill the top plate of my 550 and mount the GPS antennea dead center. Only seems logical no?

As far as the –M v2, I’d have to say that I love mine.
Great because mine went on order yesterday. I ordered it through Amazon again. Reason being is I have an Amazon CC and a Prime account. If any of the stuff I order is not as represented I get a full refund and or replacement pretty much no questions asked. Very convenient.

I started out with a Turnigy 9xr...
Say no more... I had given it a lot of thought since initially making this thread and decided to go with a Futaba 8FGHS/R6208SB. I had found more negative posts on the Spektrum radios than the Futaba's and I want the reliability and support that a proven radio manufacture can provide. Plus I can use S.Bus and do away with a butt load of little interface cables.

DJI just release the H3-3D and I just seen a rumor that the H3-2D may be discontinued. I don’t see WHY they would, especially since the -2D is $350ish and the -3D (from what I’ve found online) is nearly $1000. That is significantly too large of a price jump to even consider it an option in my book. I’d never pay $1k for a GoPro gimbal. That is nuts. Plus, if you are going to spend an additional $600 for a yaw servo on your gimbal, you should PROBABLY spend that money on a solid radio system…
I guess I better get my butt in gear and buy a H3-2D gimble before they're all gone! I was told for my M550 I would need the Zenmuse H3-2D model designed for the Phantom 1? Is that a true statement?

While on Video and because it was your next topic
FPV will be the last thing I look at getting and will be a few months out. Buying the Naza & radio this weekend exhausted my fun money for the month! I'll be using my old Phantom batteries to power this bast up and get things configured. I still need to make a decision on which battery packs to order. I'm pretty set on using a dual 3s battery setup vs. 4S. I am still researching what power rating would be the best for a dual setup. I also need to get a decent battery charger. This hobby is gonna make me a poor man!

Hope that helps!

Corey
It sure did, thanks Corey.

U.M.

coreyperez

Glad to hear your F550 is the genuine deal! I too use Amazon almost exclusively (Living in Alaska/Korea). I love the free shipping!

As far as the E300's. If it is what I'm thinking, they have 15? amp ESCs. Probably why they only use a single size prop. NOT ideal (I'd say).

YOU ARE GOING TO DRILL THROUGH THE TOP!!!!!! OH THE HUMANITY! (I did that as well) Initially I had mine in a different location, (Front of the frame), but since I went to the GoPro I wanted the GPS Puck as far away from the noise of the GoPro (hence the Copper tape around the puck). It is now in the rear of the top plate. (See attached photos)

Speaking of GoPro's, I'm thinking I'm going to ditch my H3-2D and get a Gimbal for my Nex7.

I got a iCharger 4010duo a while ago and only just recently started started using it. I'm in LOVE! (combined with a 10$ server power supply from Ebay).

Corey

Attachments

• 20140330_202740_resized.jpg
    20140330_202740_resized.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 20140330_202756_resized.jpg
    20140330_202756_resized.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 20140330_202808_resized.jpg
    20140330_202808_resized.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 20140330_202823_resized.jpg
    20140330_202823_resized.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:

You stationed in Korea currently? I did a year at Kunsan while I was in the USAF. Not the most pleasant assignment in my career. I'm retired from the AF now and but still work for DAF.

Here's a picture of my work in progress. I have a set of black arms coming in tomorrow. Something to make it look a little different from all the others. ;-)

U.M.
flamewheelsm.jpg

coreyperez

I did 12 in the AF (well, 10 AD, and about 2 in the reserves/GS-9). I've been in the army since. This December will be 18y TIS. Getting close!

I just decided (about 15 min ago) that I'm piecing off the 550. Gimbal and landing gear first while I'm waiting for the next "quadruple ebay bucks" deal to come up (just missed one on Thursday) and I'll be going with a Tarot 960. So, that means I'll have to step down to a TBS Disco-Pro (to use up my 550 electronics) and I'll probably put my Naza on that as well. I'll get a XA-SX for the new Tarot.

BUT. That new hex may not come up until this fall. I'm headed back to AK in May to see the family!

Corey

coreyperez

Earp:
Oh, no sorry. I'm looking to "part out" the 550's stuff and move up to a Tarot 960.

U.M. I forgot to mention. The Zenmuse H3-2D is the same all around, the mounts are different. The Phantom version is a little longer where as the Flame wheel version is square.

Corey

coreyperez

I think I explained it wrong. There isn't a specific 550 version, the zenmuse is the zenmuse, the only difference is if you get the phantom version. I'll send links shortly. Basically the normal Zen has a square mount the gumball hands directly below, the phantom version is out front of the support/mount

coreyperez

Ok, I did a pretty bad job explaining that. I way trying to use my phone. BUT, I also realized/remembered the Phantom is a X config whereas the regular mount is a +. As you can see in the photos the phantom version (in my hand) is longer and a different config. BUT, the actual configuration doesn’t matter because the holes are already drilled for the zenmuse to properly lineup (forward). Those are the two small holes placed together in the large “square” section.

Keep in mind, this is not the OEM DJI version. You can probably see on my gimbal I broke my mount while trying to install it. (Moving those plates is a HUGE PITA with rubber on carbon tube. NOT much fun. Plus, I didn’t realize I was pushing on the gimbal mount vs. the front tubes of the landing gear.

Hope this makes a little more sense…

I just did a quick search and it appears that the one I showed you, (although listed as a “phantom version” doesn’t look like what DJI is currently using). Note that, DJI has also changed the “regular version”. Maxon motor vs. DJI motor. The Maxon (old) used an alum mount, the current DJI one is the standard cheap plastic.

I think the difference in "version" is X vs + (for damper balls)

Corey

Attachments

• 20140331_085826_resized.jpg
    20140331_085826_resized.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 20140331_085904_resized.jpg
    20140331_085904_resized.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 20140331_085946_resized.jpg
    20140331_085946_resized.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 370

So the landing gear is now assembled and my new GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition is sitting on my desk next to the PC, the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal is en route from eBay. Still waiting on my NAZA-M V2 and Futaba 8FG to arrive. Hopefully they will all get here before the end of this week. Still have decided on a battery/batteries or a charger yet. I figure I can use my stock phantom 1 batteries for now to get everything set up.
U.M.