My first ugly crash

brantdw

I was flying in Portland photographing some of the iconic Portland sights. On my last flight the quad veered off the the right hard stick. I was GPS mode on FPV. Got some great photos of Portland and the roof of the Mayors office. Yes, I crashed on city hall.

I got the quad back today. Going to need some new parts etc. Has anyone experienced the sudden full right stick on the DJI in GPS mode? I should have switched it over to internal.

-B

FlyGirl

I was flying in Portland photographing some of the iconic Portland sights. On my last flight the quad veered off the the right hard stick. I was GPS mode on FPV. Got some great photos of Portland and the roof of the Mayors office. Yes, I crashed on city hall.

I got the quad back today. Going to need some new parts etc. Has anyone experienced the sudden full right stick on the DJI in GPS mode? I should have switched it over to internal.

-B

How did City Hall feel about it? Just curious.... I think this was why I said flying near the Space Needle was a bad idea about a month ago ;) Maybe it had to do with being in an urban environment? I'm not sure Brant.... I guess it could be a lot of things. Wish I could help more...

brantdw

How did City Hall feel about it? Just curious.... I think this was why I said flying near the Space Needle was a bad idea about a month ago ;) Maybe it had to do with being in an urban environment? I'm not sure Brant.... I guess it could be a lot of things. Wish I could help more...

Thanks for the FlyGirl reply. Yeah, I didnt take it to Seattle on your advice. I think the GPS is failing and telling it to go right. It was pulling a little right a week before the crash, but nothing this severe. I just have to keep an eye on the systems a little better and know the dangers.

FlyGirl

Thanks for the FlyGirl reply. Yeah, I didnt take it to Seattle on your advice. I think the GPS is failing and telling it to go right. It was pulling a little right a week before the crash, but nothing this severe. I just have to keep an eye on the systems a little better and know the dangers.

Wow! Just took a dive? What flight controller Brant?

brantdw

So I go my bird fixed and flying. The Mayors office was not happy about the crash, but gave back the quad. I got everything put back together with a little work and tested it out. I beleive my problem was the large buildings in the downtown and my compas calibration was off. This was cuasing the dramatic drift to the side. So far all is good. Thanks for the advice and Ill keep it closer to home now.

maxwelltub

I don't really use gps mode for the reason. Once I had a situation where I was flying in GPS and was descending back down for a landing below the tree line. When I lost gps lock it went into a death spin. Luckily I was able to recover in manual mode, but basically I think that sometimes there is a glitch when the FC doesn't switch to atti mode fast enough when you lose gps signal.

Its in the DJI manuals as well as most other MR manuals......... never fly in GPS mode in downtown areas where there are high buildings.
GPS satellites cannot send their signals thru high rise buildings!!!!!!! Makes sense to me....

So I go my bird fixed and flying. The Mayors office was not happy about the crash, but gave back the quad. I got everything put back together with a little work and tested it out. I beleive my problem was the large buildings in the downtown and my compas calibration was off. This was cuasing the dramatic drift to the side. So far all is good. Thanks for the advice and Ill keep it closer to home now.

cbpagent72

Damn DJI has some crappy gps. I work in law enforcement and the gps trackers on cars are underneath the car and they still get an accurate strong signal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Very interesting..... Can you share more info on that claim...... I would like to dig into that as we also need such an item for our industry....
Damn DJI has some crappy gps. I work in law enforcement and the gps trackers on cars are underneath the car and they still get an accurate strong signal.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Another failure with a spectrum radio.... I seem to be reading a lot of these topics, all mention spectrum radios. Kinda weird huh?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker

Most GPS systems fail around tall buildings, TomTom, Garmin, Magenlan. Downtown Pittsburgh will take care of any GPS signal and most law enforcement systems probably use triangulation with cellphone towers and GPS. GPS do not work very well if they can't see the skys above them. A wood built structure is one thing, but a metal structure where radio can't penetrate is another.

Triangulation between 3 towers if fairly accurate, not as accurate as GPS mind you... but pretty close. Here is a decent write up on how it works. http://searchengineland.com/cell-phone-triangulation-accuracy-is-all-over-the-map-14790

Maybe it was nothing to do with GPS but maybe some WiMax antenna knocked out your signal a little bit? anything close to your receiver with a signal ratio higher than your radio, will play with your receiver.... 2.4Ghz is heavily used by many products, phones, WiFi, Door bells, walkie talkies and much more. It is an unlicensed frequency, hence the abuse of the frequency.

Last edited by a moderator: