My brushless gimbal result

Just got my gimbal, the construction looks great! For people using NEX cams, what type of screw did you use to mount the camera, and where did you pick it up?

Icke84

Hi, got a problem. Controller worked but i wanted to change some setting and connected the usb adapter plate to the controller board while it was powered.

Then startet the gui and got a sensor not connected error.
Even reflashig didn't help. On 1.3 i got the green light flashing but on 1.2 the green light stay off.

Can somebody help?

I hope i don't burn my sensor becaus i'm on a job now. Have a second servo gimbal with me but who wants to use servo when he tried brushless

Regards
Marcus

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk 2

jfro

Aerial Fun
Anyone have any success with anything bigger than a NEX 5 on this gimbal?

I'm about ready to give up trying to get a gh1 or gh2 to work. I can hand hold it and run around and it's great. I can put a go pro on it and it's ok. But in the air with gh1 or gh2, I get a lot of vibration. Copter is pretty smooth, so I don't think that's it.

I've had some other issues but after re-soldering a joint and getting 2 new ftid adapters, things are running better, just can get it stabilized in flight.

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Hi, got a problem. Controller worked but i wanted to change some setting and connected the usb adapter plate to the controller board while it was powered.

Even reflashig didn't help. On 1.3 i got the green light flashing but on 1.2 the green light stay off.

Can somebody help?

I hope i don't burn my sensor becaus i'm on a job now. Have a second servo gimbal with me but who wants to use servo when he tried brushless

Regards
Marcus

So does the gimbal work as normal if you power it with a battery, not connected to PC or no?
Check the wire between the IMU to the controller for open connection, expecially on SCL and SDA.

Anyone have any success with anything bigger than a NEX 5 on this gimbal?

I'm about ready to give up trying to get a gh1 or gh2 to work. I can hand hold it and run around and it's great. I can put a go pro on it and it's ok. But in the air with gh1 or gh2, I get a lot of vibration. Copter is pretty smooth, so I don't think that's it.

I've had some other issues but after re-soldering a joint and getting 2 new ftid adapters, things are running better, just can get it stabilized in flight.

jfro, first you should see if you can figure out is whether the vibration causing by the copter or the motor of the gimbal (normally I and Power is not right for motor of gimbal to jitter). There's a possibility that the Rubber damper couldn't handle the extra weight of the GH, from my experience if damper is too soft it can cause the gimbal to sway then turn to vibration.

Also, have you fix mounted a GoPro onto your copter to see how the video come out to verify your copter does not have vibration?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I did a quick setup with go pro and flew for 2-3 minutes. I did not get the vibrations. The vibrations are enough I can see it.

When I had hold the gimbal and run around with it, I do not get the vibrations.

I've switched from a flexible mount to a stiff aluminum mount that the gimbal is attached to. I've used the supplied (6) rubber vibrations standoffs supplied.

I used some rubber on the aluminum mount plate I made today to see if that would help.

I'm guessing it's either I can't get the settings dialed in or too much weight for frame or motors.

Icke84

So does the gimbal work as normal if you power it with a battery, not connected to PC or no?
Check the wire between the IMU to the controller for open connection, expecially on SCL and SDA.

jfro, first you should see if you can figure out is whether the vibration causing by the copter or the motor of the gimbal (normally I and Power is not right for motor of gimbal to jitter). There's a possibility that the Rubber damper couldn't handle the extra weight of the GH, from my experience if damper is too soft it can cause the gimbal to sway then turn to vibration.

Also, have you fix mounted a GoPro onto your copter to see how the video come out to verify your copter does not have vibration?

Hi,

I checked the wires but only with m eyes. Don't have something here for testing.

And it also doesn't work with a battery. Still only the red light is on.

Any other ideas?

rocjock

Can somebody help?

Regards
Marcus

I had the same thing happen. The sensor got hot, too. Think its toast. Having the power on and ftdi plugged in is how I initially tuned it. Then I changed the lens and went to tune it again as I did the first time - power on and ftdi connected. The sensor got hot and the GUI reads 'sensor not connected.'

I've read conflicting reports about what should be plugged in while tuning the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
OK, I played around somemore and ended up with something that fly's with the Gothelirc gimbal. I had to take off the strap connectors off the GH1 to get it to fit. I'd like to fly one of my hacked gh2's, but not real excited about taking off the strap connectors as I'm not sure they are going back on.

First footage looks pretty steady in moderate gusty winds on my x8. Not sure if it will handle aggressive flying, but not something I plan on doing anytime soon. Guessing 6-12 months from now these things will be commodities and tuned.

Icke84

Hi,

i didn't got the sensor error solved. so i used another alexmosboard with sensor i got yesterday. it's a newer version i think, because it looks not like the one i had from gothelirc.
So now the problem. i flashed the firmware, calibrated the sensor in all positions and then setup the pid and power settings. roll is working fine but pitch is jumping up and down a bit, even changing the settings didn't help.
and what is the most strange behavior, when i move the gimbal it doesn't do the compensation for pitch, only for roll.

edit: it looks like that pitch stabilisation works, but only if i hold the camera softly, then you see it want to hold it's postion. i did balanced it correctly, so that's not the problem.
i don't know what to do.

so whats wrong now? any ideas.

thanks in advance
Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:

Boltzman

Hi!

Here comes some further test shots with the GotheliRC gimbal on my TBS Discovery. It's a super compact design that I can fit into a backpack.
Shots starting from 00:34. Sorry for the lens scratch on some shots, had crash..
Som yaw stabilization fixes are still required and hopefully the new Naza v2 firmware will remove some descent vibrations and other minor turbulance i got in some shots.
No shots are software stabilized.

https://vimeo.com/65596091

Boltzman

Hi All!

I have been testing the GotheliRC brushless gimbal during the past weeks, must say it's completely stunning.

My setup:
TBS Discovery frame (modified for a front mount gimbal)
DJI arms
Pulso 2840/14 motors (oversized, will reduce to smaller soon)
Graupner 10x5 props
GotheliRC brushless gimbal (of course)
GotheliRC extension legs (modified and shortened for water landing)
GotheliRC extension motor arms
DJI Naza with GPS
Turnigy 5000 mAh 4S battery (now running the gimbal on the same power)

This setup is so ultra compact it can fit into a backpack and takes videos on par with the Zenmuse (imagine the S800 assembled ready in the backpack). I had a lot of consideration of the flexible and weak DJI arms but all tests have shown wonderful results.

Currently I am in Thailand and testing the drone in a rough environment and extreme heat. Will post some pictures from the flights but cannot upload videos yet because of the slow broadband here.

I must say this is the best gimbal I have flown with, GotheliRC devotion to quality and excellent customer support makes the best buy.

View attachment 13651View attachment 13652View attachment 13653View attachment 13654View attachment 13655View attachment 13656View attachment 13657

AerialVid

If it work ok at 0 degree, then you tilt it 20degree then it vibrate, normally mean the camera is not balanced in all direction. Don't power the gimbal, manually move the tilt to 90degree (facing down to the ground, is your camera balance now?) If the gimbal is not balanced in all direction, it simply won't work.

Is it possible for someone to put up a simple quick video showing these balance points at 90 degree? Mine appears to be balanced at all points but still having vibrations. (*mount isn't mounted to machine yet, so vibration isn't with the machine) So a video might show me "something" I am doing wrong.. Thank you ahead of time!

Is it possible for someone to put up a simple quick video showing these balance points at 90 degree? Mine appears to be balanced at all points but still having vibrations. (*mount isn't mounted to machine yet, so vibration isn't with the machine) So a video might show me "something" I am doing wrong.. Thank you ahead of time!

Had the same problem, especially using the bigger lens. Turns out that mine wasn't a camera balance problem but it was caused by my incorrect settings, lowering the I value a couple of notches nailed it and the vibrations are gone. My initial settings were based on the ones posted by rwskier earlier in this thread (Roll 18-40-12 Power 200 & Pitch 18-30-8 Power 80), I think the only difference for me is 25 instead of 30 for I.
HTH.

Skysurf

Hi,

Will you have more power to the motors if you are running 4S rather than 2 or 3S LiPos with the Alexmos controller?

Thanks,

Jesper

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Just getting my nex5 gimbal setup now with alexmos GUI. How to you stop it from flipping out sometimes? I mean like I have it in my hand and rolling side to side to test it, sometimes you roll to the right quickly and it flips right over so it's upside down, is it all down to the settings? Can someone share a screenshot of their setting with a nex5 and GotHeliRC gimbal?

reddinos

ordered! can't wait to try it out!

question... on the site i see this message: For HDMI video output, if you're using 18-55mm lens, you can use the HyperThin cable we have listed If you're using 16mm lens, then you will need to surgery the HyperThin mini hdmi plug to make it smaller."

How does changing the lens affects the hdmi output? isn't the hdmi plug on the camera's body? this is the hdmi for fpv correct?

Kilby

You have to adjust the positioning of the camera when you change the lens in order to maintain balance. When you use the 18-55 lens, the whole camera sits back further in the gimbal and there is plenty of space to use the HDMI cable mentioned. With the 16mm lens, the HDMI plug gets in the way of the gimbal and you have to make the modification mentioned. I attempted them myself since I use the 16mm, but even after being extremely careful with the mod, the cable wasn't able to handle it and stopped working. It's a shame that this gimbal isn't just a few mm wider so that this issue would go away on it's own. I love my gimbal, but this is the one drawback in my opinion. I have opted to use a small FPV camera mounted ontop of my lens instead of the HDMI output. With this approach, you get the added benefit of not needing an HDMI converter onboard adding more weight to the build.