Multirotor Pylon Racing

matwelli

Find a site with a cricket pitch, or just measure out a 66ft/20.1 meter course, fly 5 laps, figure 8, captured on video , and post up your time

heres my first attempt - 52 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

@Efliernz - dead keen to come up and fly at YOUR park again :) esp if we can get 3-4 in the air at one time, the figure 8 part may cause mayhem - maybe traveling right fly above 15 feet, traveling left below 20 ft - will make for some awesome onboard vid !

@Jake Bullit - for sure, just try not to get hit for a 6 if flying too close to the batters !

Have an awesome idea for a new frame, may need to see if Stacky can get me in touch with Mountain Dew........

jes1111

For the sake of our American members, "cricket" is a brutally violent game, played by men in garishly-coloured uniforms, involving trying to hit members of the other team with a hard ball. ;)

Efliernz

Pete
I'll get some practice in when the 30mph wind stops. I've built a "disposable quad" for such occasions.
The octo will be spare in a month or so... that would look awesome.
I did a handling demo with the octo north of Auckland last Sunday. It moves very well when you don't have a camera on it...

Pete

matwelli

The bar has been raised, by HelliYea (OP forums) in Australia

46 seconds, the second run

Come on multirotorforum guys , whos going to post up a response to that time

plingboot

mat, there's a cricket pitch a stone's throw from my front door. as soon as a free moment and suitable weather occur at the same time, i'll have a go. but dont expect to be beating any times…

matwelli

Great stuff, the times don't matter, its having a go, and honing your skills that counts.

For the guys doing it by fpv, I am hoping for a barrel roll during the flight :)

ChrisViperM

The bar has been raised, by HelliYea (OP forums) in Australia

46 seconds, the second run

Come on multirotorforum guys , whos going to post up a response to that time

This guy with his plumbing-style fighter jet is completely nuts......:tennis:

While living in South Africa I was many times invited to watch cricket on TV....SA vs. West Indies, SA vs. New Zealand, SA vs. Australia.....I could not manage once to stay awake...might be due to the fact that every "cricket TV-party" was accompanied with more beer than anyone can handle.......:nevreness:

Chris

plingboot

well… bit of free time and nice weather so i headed off down to the cricket pitch for a fly with the F330.

ran a pack through her and was getting the hang of it - the whole square is netted off, so good reference for how far to fly.

connected up the second pack and velcro/strapped a gopro to the base to film 'a run'.

all going well and i'm getting faster, but for a split second in a turn i lost orientation and suddenly she's heading backwards towards the pavillion and so before i loose sight of her i cut the motors and she drops onto the roof…

thank ***k i bought an aeroloop last week, mad run to the house to get it, then much to various dog walkers amusement i fish her off the roof.

Everything intact except a slightly scuffed gopro housing lens… and it's all on film…

Efliernz

Pete
It’s ugly and I cant get the KK2 auto-level to work properly... so I wont. I’ve spanking it in manual mode. The perfect trainer – and I've been practicing Mat’s pylon-racing fig 8 challenge around the cricket pitch. Harder than you think! The 15mph wind didn't help.
I’ve just flown 3 3S packs in the wind. Most of it at less than 1m off the dirt with the odd REALLY fast climb and decent. I’ll easily flip this... Lots of nose-in training including some nose-in circles around myself.
With a 3S3000 pack, hover is 14A. Fast climb is 35

I’ve missed having a hack... I have been flying AP boring level stuff with the quad and Octo too much!

Pete

View attachment 6845

Attachments

• DSC00945.jpg
    DSC00945.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 177

matwelli

I’ve missed having a hack... I have been flying AP boring level stuff with the quad and Octo too much!

Pete

View attachment 8932

great stuff pete - getting back to real flying

the figure 8 circuit is something everyone should master - its helping me with nose in confidence

any chance you could thrash a heli around the same course and get a time ?

Efliernz

Pete
I've only got one heli left... the 700 :)

Yes, I'll have a go once the weather settles. Sunday looks good... I have a shoot with the octo and a full-size shoot :)

plingboot

Well, here it is.

The gopro is velcro'd - facing straight down - to the bottom of the F330, so be prepared to blow chunks if you get motion sickness.

Need to figure a better, forward facing, solution but at the moment the lipo and naza gps mast are up top.

Have to say that the F330 is a total trooper. It's taken some real stick recently as i've been practising my flying technique in pretty confined spaces.

I'm obviously no expert, but the trick seems to be to start the yaw turn just before completing each run. Where there's an obvious delay, i didn't start the yaw early enough, over shot and it was driving like mad to slow/change direction. The crash was a combination of an overshoot and loss of orientation.

It's a bit addictive, as i've been sitting here thinking about how i'll improve…

matwelli

thats a cool retrieval tool, lucky you got both the frame and the camera back !

are you not using roll as well as yaw to turn ? what i do is bank it into the turn, yaw at the same time, that way you keep some speed up thru the turn instead of coming close to a dead stop