Aeronavics / Droidworx Multirotor Noob Question

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for some time on the forum reading as much as I can. I think I have decided to build a SJ8 HL for high end production work. I am currently a Jimmy Jib owner/operator and have been for over 10 years. I hoping that those skills will help me learn to fly quickly and proficiently. I have tried to do several searches here.. and on DW site but have yet to find a real "buyers checklist". If I hadn't just bought a house I'd probably order a RTF setup but the more I read, the more I wanted to put it together myself. Doe's anyone know of or have a checklist of parts, pieces, electronics, etc.. that one would need to make a ground up build go off without a hitch? Not necessarily model numbers and brands as I have come to understand there are as many different opinions as there are suppliers. But more along the lines of categories of parts, etc. Again, I think I have a pretty accurate list of things to order but just thought I'd ask you folks that have done it a few times. Thanks in advance for any and all input and especially for all of the incredibly detailed threads in this category and the forum in general.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I think most are going to suggest you learn on something cheaper first if you haven't ever flown anything before. Although GPS and ATTI make it easier to fly these machines its still pretty difficult and you want to be good enough to know what to do when there is a failure (it will happen). So learning basic flight, learning to fly nose in with out thinking, etc would be much safer and cheaper on a small quad like a F450 or Phantom.

You can try simulators too I've never used any but some say they're ok.

I've seen a few people go big right away only to sell their rig on RCG 2 - 3 months later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolby,
thanks for the reply. I had considered that and just may add a smallish build to practice with.. however there is a certain motivating factor for me to aquire and make ready a platform for the epic. I'm going to pull the trigger either way. I currently operate over crowds on a weekly basis with medium to large cranes. Confidence is high!

to add: please don't think I'm not aware that the two technologies are completely different, however I believe that many years of remote operating experience will make it an easier transition for me.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dolby,
thanks for the reply. I had considered that and just may add a smallish build to practice with.. however there is a certain motivating factor for me to aquire and make ready a platform for the epic. I'm going to pull the trigger either way. I currently operate over crowds on a weekly basis with medium to large cranes. Confidence is high!

to add: please don't think I'm not aware that the two technologies are completely different, however I believe that many years of remote operating experience will make it an easier transition for me.

You may want to have a look at the rules and regs of flying over people, and also some of the near disasters when its gone wrong. Not sure where you are in the world but I am having a guess at the states. Insurance to operate etc all starts to mount up. There are not many flying Reds and thoise that are have been learning for a good coulpe of years.. the old saying walk before you run is one to think about.

Any how goos luck and welcome to MRF. Enjoy your stay and listen to the Pros.

Dave

tstrike

pendejo grande
Eastcoastjib, as someone whose been operating movie cranes for over 30 years, let me tell you these things are nothing like working a crane arm. Maybe operating the gimbal is sort of like it, but otherwise, nothing like it. For one, your crane arm will never confuse you has to orientation, another is your arm will never decide to beat feet 100 yards down field before you know what happened. That being said, if you've got the cash, put it all in a box and get some more cash then go for it but be warned the first video you post of flying over a crowd will be greeted with jeers and sneers from the gallery (very frowned upon here and other forums).
Have you seen Cam mates new baby techno? it's pretty sweet cept it weighs a freekin ton which kind of defeats the purpose of a cam mate.
oh and welcome to MRF.

I agree on learning how to fly with something cheaper and easier to fix. You'll learn more that will come in handy later.

I started flying back last summer with a Blade mQX Ready to Fly kit for $150. 9 months, later I just a DJI F550 + Naza-M&GPS system. I knew I wanted something faster and better than my mQX, when I was able to do flips and some basic 3d moves with the mQx. The skills that I built with my MQX have really paid off. I know orientation how to slow forward flight, make quicker reactions and really fly my F550 in full manual mode. Yes the bigger models have more features, but you need to know basics and have quick skills to react.

I still have lots to learn and grow. Like getting the GPS calibrated better, setting gains set right for what I fly, and configuring the transmitter the way I like it to start. Then I can get in to mounting better landing gear and a camera.

Best of luck. The people here in the multirotorforums are awesome group and eager to help.

fredor

Dolby,

All the experience in the world will not help you if your copter decides it has had enough to fly above a crowd is just plain stupid

All the experience in the world will not help you if your copter decides it has had enough to fly above a crowd is just plain stupid

I fail to see in my OP where I said anything about flying over a crowd. But that attitude is expected i guess.. Tstrike.. great post and Droider as well. I've made myself dizzy reading threads about whats legal and whats not in the states. I have no desire to debate the issue. To each his own.. I'm based out of NC. I'm in no rush to start flying the epic or the C300.. I have a client that has expressed some interest for the long term use of an aerial platform. I plan on taking many months to get trained up. I still find myself learning new things running the crane and I've been doing that for over 10 years. I look forward to the learning process with a MR. I've been traveling with my current "best client" for over 15 years almost 40 weeks of every year. Daddy needs a new niche... I'm hoping this is it. A TX is much easier on my back than swinging a 1200 lb, 40 ft. crane around every week. No Camate's for me. That things way to heavy. I'm a fast moving outdoor operator. Might take me a few minutes longer to build and strike.. but what I save in weight fatigue over a 14 hour day is the reason I bought a Jimmy Jib. Anyway.. thanks gents for the comments. I'm very excited to get started and I hope to have an order list completed soon. I will definitely post it up and humbly ask for your suggestions on that as well.
Thanks

nicwilke

I fail to see in my OP where I said anything about flying over a crowd. But that attitude is expected i guess.. Tstrike.. great post and Droider as well. I've made myself dizzy reading threads about whats legal and whats not in the states. I have no desire to debate the issue. To each his own.. I'm based out of NC. I'm in no rush to start flying the epic or the C300.. I have a client that has expressed some interest for the long term use of an aerial platform. I plan on taking many months to get trained up. I still find myself learning new things running the crane and I've been doing that for over 10 years. I look forward to the learning process with a MR. I've been traveling with my current "best client" for over 15 years almost 40 weeks of every year. Daddy needs a new niche... I'm hoping this is it. A TX is much easier on my back than swinging a 1200 lb, 40 ft. crane around every week. No Camate's for me. That things way to heavy. I'm a fast moving outdoor operator. Might take me a few minutes longer to build and strike.. but what I save in weight fatigue over a 14 hour day is the reason I bought a Jimmy Jib. Anyway.. thanks gents for the comments. I'm very excited to get started and I hope to have an order list completed soon. I will definitely post it up and humbly ask for your suggestions on that as well.
Thanks

Welcome.
May I suggest you get a XM6 or XM8 with a brushless gimbal for a small camera first. Your experience in jib operation will definitely give you an advantage as I'm sure many people don't understand the similarities of balance, and kinetic movement use for filming.
By my suggestion, you will gain building experience, and provided you get a good flight controller, you will pick it up easily. Multirotors are simple to fly, and like mentioned here, GPS helps.
Good luck, and the go get 'em.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Its always nice to see enthusiasm from some one just getting in to MR's. The head aches usually dumb that in double quick time. Thats why MRF exists.. just to stop you going over the edge.. usually coz its a global forum there is some one just having brekka with a freash head while yours is exploding with the 'cant see wood for trees' sinario.

Any how keep us posted and and its always nice to know first names

All the Best

Dave

fredor

Thanks

Please accept my apologies I should not have replied to anyone in the mood I was in at that time