MT3515 and Maytech/SimonK doesn't like each other

Hogar

At process of building T810 hexa with Tiger 3515-15/400kv and Maytech 40A/SimonK I read some posts of people having trouble with those setup here, here, here, and few others. Since I'm looking for something reliable, I wanted to test my setup before maiden flight. After calibrating ESCs, motors sounded good without props, then I tied hexa on ground and put some load (tiger 15x5 props on 6s) and some strange noise start to appear. It worked ok while I was gentle with sticks but as soon I tried some rapid quick movement of cyclic there was some bad noise. Those motors are loosing their sync. So here are my questions:

- Is there a way to reset Maytech to original firmware?
- Is there any reliable ESC that play nice with MT3515-15? I was suggest to try Hobbywing platinum 40A, or even Plush 40A.
- Can I live without SimonK? I have heard that larger ships don't get benefit from it.
- Regarding timing/sync issues is it something that can be tested and recognized on the bench, or it can develop over time?

I decided to wait with first flight until I solve this issue. I can be gentle on sticks, but if FC tries to correct some wind gusts I think it can put motors out of sync. Is that correct?

kloner

Aerial DP
I flew this for 6 months no problem other than underpowered..... what maytec version did you try?

are you saying you were stick banging it on the ground without props?

Hogar

Thank you for your answer. I instaled this one. How do you mean it was underpowered? What was your total weight? I plan to carry no more than 7kg on 6s. The test was made with and without props. Problem is only visible when I have props (hexa was tied on the table). I was able to produce loosing sync and do not want to fly before I solve this.

kloner

Aerial DP
put props on it and fly it..... you got all the right stuff. Doing "tests" like that are so far from how this stuff works you would get a false sense of them. we fly hard, like miles at igh speeds with dslrs and i melted three of them mid flight...... skyjib, big brushless gimbal. moved up to 3520 and slowed down my flight envelope but they are hanging way better.... three bearings too.

your loosing sync cause your forcing them too... reving it without a load is gonna make sync issues more than show you the actual state of your rig....

if you really want to see the rig put the props on and hold the rig with somebody else throttling it.... do not tie it down to the ground so it's forced to touch powering up through stick movements

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
if in fact you are hearing a noise, i'd be more suspicious of breaking a magnet off than a sync issue. this is not a high pole count motor, they generaly are easy to make work.

you mentioned calibrating, is this a spektrum radio?

Hogar

No. Futaba 14SG. I did throttle calibration (with normal and as some suggested with lower end points). Like I said, more and more people having problems and crashing with SimonK on 3515 makes me worried. The problem is I don't realy know if it should sound like that.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's not a normal practice...... who knows what you heard

there is 4 rigs here with those esc's in them,,,, one is avroto 3515, supposed same as u5. 2 with 3520 and one with u7, all the same exact esc's from the same dude.... we fly red epic, dslr, big stuff...

if you have a concern, post up the sound...... I do have a u5 rig sitting here that has these exact esc's and it is crashed, but the esc blew and all the motors appear to be normal, it was the first couple minutes of it's life, usually when these things happen so i chalked it up to a bad esc.... film what you got and put it on youtube, lets see if what your seeing is something obvious

htotheunit

My Hexa was one of the ones in the post you mentioned (Here)

This rig flew without issue for a year, with DSLR or similar weight cameras then as you can see in my video all of a sudden it went down. Mytech ESC's, given the recent issues you mentioned I'm going to see if I can find something I feel more comfortable using (Looking at the JETI HiCopter 40a's). Yep these issues are very circumstantial but I personally don't like flying knowing that these ESC's could potentially bring my chopper down.

Post the sound as Kloner says and we'll see if there's an explanation.

Last edited by a moderator: