MOVI on over.

photokopter

Attachments

• Colibri with Red.jpg
    Colibri with Red.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 226

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
There seems to be a 400g difference according the specs if nothing else. Of course you cant really compare these two gimbals yet as there hasn't been the chance to see them side by side or for people to take real world measurements. If the weight difference is genuinely 400g (Calibri 1900g, Movi 1500g) then that is quite a substantial difference for a MR. I would be interested to know what the all up weight of a Calibri v Movi is with everything less the camera ie batteries, downlink, rc system, and landing gear etc.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
So, why, apart from price, should I go with the Calibri over the Movi and I mean this as a very genuine question, not seeking to stir any pots at all. Here is Freefly's take on why I should look at a Movi, taken off the Freefly Forum and written by Tabb who I believe is the head honcho at FF:

I wanted to give a quick list of features that we feel differentiate the MōVI from competitors. The below contains a lot of technical details about the various sub-systems on the MōVI. The sum of these systems is a robust, reliable and adaptable camera stabilizer that works in real world filming conditions. We have kept pretty tight lipped about what separates the MōVI from the rest of the pack until now. What this means for our customers is that they will have a system which will allow them to focus on shooting and shot design rather then endless hours of tweaking and gain adjustments. The MōVI does not just carry a camera like the Red EPIC; it does it easily. The MōVI can accelerate and slew a Red EPIC and ultra prime lens at 150 deg/sec, while other systems using sensor-less motor drives struggle. This is important as it directly relates to your ability to accurately and precisely command the camera. The MōVI design team features 10 engineers who are all at the top of their respective fields. These industry experts all working together to re-define camera movement.

I know a lot of people are desperate to believe that our competitors (I use the term loosely as the majority do not even have a product, just a rendering) are just as good as a MōVI at 1/3rd the cost. I am guessing as these systems are released and things shake out a bit and actual users get their hands on them, you will notice an overwhelming trend. The MōVI will continue to produce the stable shots it has become known for and you will see a lot of wobbly, vibrating footage from others.

Motors

• Motors designed and built in house by engineers at Freefly
  • Low weight and high torque - can stabilize larger cameras
  • Excellent heat dissipation
  • High-resolution shaft position encoder
  • Sealed design
  • Zero maintenance
  • Integrated into the structure
  • Large face-mount shaft for high stiffness
  • Extremely low cogging torque
Motor Drive Electronics

• Designed in house - optimized for our custom motors
  • Sensored control - High peak torque in all situations
  • Silent drive technology
  • Highest quality components
  • 3 x 32bit ARM microcontrollers
  • Precise motion control in any position
  • Low voltage protection
  • Overcurrent protection
  • Motor temperature monitoring and protection
Stabilizer Control System

• Each hand calibrated at the factory
  • Majestic Mode - the most extensively tested single-operator control
  • GPS attitude correction
  • High performance 32bit ARM microcontroller
  • High quality GPS
  • Barometer for advanced position information
  • Data logging for VFX post
  • Highest quality stabilization algorithm developed by experts in UAV stability and control
  • Robust control where any disturbance is quickly rejected
  • Android, PC, and MacOS programming options
  • Firmware upgradeable
  • Advanced live graphing
  • Bluetooth (wireless) parameter adjustment
  • Automatic setup for camera top or bottom mount
  • Automatic gimbal inverted option for steadicam use
  • Support for Spektrum and JR Remote Receiver protocol, Futaba S.Bus for second-operator control
Stabilizer Structure

• Low weight
  • Easy to adjust (standard adjustment is toolless)
  • Easy/quick camera removal (<10s)
  • Fold for shipping
  • Wide camera tray, fits larger cameras
  • Quickly changes from handheld to multirotor use
  • Hollow tilt shaft, allows wide range of tilt motion without wire tangling
  • Easily adapts to almost any camera
Hope that helps give some insight as to why we think the MōVI is in a class of it's own.

maxwelltub

Hey Tabb, I assume you can put the Movi 5 under a multirotor right? I haven't seen any press on that, only the Movi MR which is the same as the Movi 10 with different mounting hardware. Is this correct? I am more inclined to spend the money on the M5 now after seeing what a POS some of the other handheld rigs are.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Tabb, I've spent a couple of bucks on this gig and I still can't justify a Movi. Thats fine because I'm not your market; Hollywood is. Not sure why you feel the need to justify what is a splendid product, aimed at a specific market segment, to which it's priced at a phenomenal value relative to the Cineflex it takes aim at.

That said, if you want to reach me, in this market segment, which requires far less than perfection... VERY good results ARE achievable at 1/3rd the price. Sorry mate. Bring out a genuine 5D3/FS700/BMCC4K capable gimbal in the 3500-4000 dollar range and clean house!!

maxwelltub

Well, with a thread called Movi on over that claims there are better gimbals for cheaper, I could see why the president of the company would have a little something to say. When studios start hiring MR pilots for TV and films there will be a bigger market for a more robust system. Currently the market is geared mainly toward hobbyist gone commercial, but when the new regulations come into effect in the US there will be a much larger market for commercial grade camera equipment. Most studios will not hire UAVs for bigger budget TV shows or features because of insurance and the FAA, come 2015 or when ever that passes, believe me there will be no shortage of operators who will spend this money. A steady cam rig cost 80,000 to put things in perspective. That being said this product is still about 10k out of my price range also.

Kilby

Tabb, I've spent a couple of bucks on this gig and I still can't justify a Movi. Thats fine because I'm not your market; Hollywood is. Not sure why you feel the need to justify what is a splendid product, aimed at a specific market segment, to which it's priced at a phenomenal value relative to the Cineflex it takes aim at.

That said, if you want to reach me, in this market segment, which requires far less than perfection... VERY good results ARE achievable at 1/3rd the price. Sorry mate. Bring out a genuine 5D3/FS700/BMCC4K capable gimbal in the 3500-4000 dollar range and clean house!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

SMP, for the record I was only trying to let Chris know that the video he linked to was an April fools joke. I wanted to make sure he did not think we were trying to be deceitful with the video, just funny. The list above of MōVI specifications that I felt was pertinent was posted on the Freefly forum and then copied here by Carapau. In general I have not been posting about our product very much on the forums as I think it speaks for itself.

We will reach you with future products I hope!

Tabb