Moved Naza to the center - it flies better

A friend of mine asked me a few weeks ago if having my Naza too close to the front of the F550 affects flight performance and if moving to dead-center would improve things and I said "I don't know".

Yesterday I met up with Partrick at Aerial Media Pros and he commented that I should move the Naza to the center of the board.

I moved the Naza to the center (not exact, but eyballed) and tried things again. It was windy outside with my luck but I went for it.

The first thing I noticed is that it is more stable upon take-off. Second thing is that it requires less rudder trim to keep close to a hover.

All of this was in ATTI mode BTW.

-Leon

mailman35

i never could understand that from the pics, because when you do crash that tabs are likely to go, and that naza might get tossed..
ive always kept mine center of the bottom plate. but i do like the increased real estate on the 550 bottom plate :)

... but i do like the increased real estate on the 550 bottom plate :)

Totally agreed! 550 space is quite nice.

I look at a lot of vids, and many people actually are not doing naza builds the same "across the board of layout and building"!
Patrick from A.M.P. really has a good build.
I'd at least mimic what top builders are doing, just to get a solid foundation (my 2 cents)...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vojec

On my GAUI 500X have naza in COD but it always fly backwards. When I put naza back side on plate then and start flying It total different story, stabile and easy to fly... don't know how, just saw some DJI guys that are tested Naza and notice that have also Naza in back side of the plate...

kloner

Aerial DP
sounds like you just got it flat when you moved it. Even an air bubble in your tape that holds it down will give it a drift. completely perfectly flat and it'll cure the drifting. The big thing moving to the middle changed for me is the stability in wind, and i fly in alot of it, usually 10-30mph

mailman35

ive had the naza on my f450 on zeal tape for a while at first i throught it was flying better, but now im thinking its adding to much posiable motion to the picture. as the quad will drift. thinking about pullin the top plate off and reseating everything.

What is the preferred tape for attaching the Naza to the lower plate? I just used some double sticky tape I had laying around - its similar to the Gopro adhesive pads. Anything better?

GYRO TAPE

I have used Zeal, and have recently Switched to Beast X gyro tape. The Beast X seams to work better for me, and it only costs $6 for 4 squares. I use it on my FC's and on my Receivers. The Zeal seamed to have a little more wiggle (if that makes any sense).

Tomstoy2

I've had excellent results with servo tape. It's a thin rubber double sticky tape. The more solid you mount it the better.

Thank Tom and Patrick. I'll try to pick up some servo tape in the next day or two. I also have some BeastX gyro tape on order. I think the current stuff im using is a little too thick and not rigid enough.

-Leon

kloner

Aerial DP
I've been using this stuff with alot of sucess on everything from naza's to V-bars. Just works and when you need to take it off, it's ultra easy. one $4 roll is enough to mount a naza 20 times. You can get it at ACE, Home Depot, Auto Zone, they pretty much all carry it.

009 (1024x768)_595.jpg

There is also another 3m tape that looks just like this, but is the greay tape, is what comes oem in alot of gyro kits called 3m 4011
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-Tape-4011/dp/B004EEA9G8

elorest

How accurate does the placement of the naza have to be. I just eyeballed it and put it as close to center as and facing forwards as I could. When I looked at it later it seems like it might be a degree or 2 off but its pretty much stuck now. Do you think I should get more tape and pull it up and try again? Has anyone found a way to measure it to be exact?

I may be over doing this.. but I used a digital caliper to measure the distance between edges. Have to becareful on the F450 as one edge is wider than the other. Once I am happy with the location, I draw the foot print where it should be, apply tape and attach the NAZA. I know mine is on center +/- 0.010 at best.

Tahoe Ed

I do use the 3M tape for a lot of stuff from Rx to GPS. I have never used it for the Controller. It has been said the closer to level and the more solid the mount the better. I use the DJI double stick tape for my Naza's and my WKM. The others are just a little thick in my opinion and do allow for some deviation from level, however, slight. That will lead to drifting on the part of the sensitive sensors. As far as the mounting position goes, I always mount mine as close to center as I can. I don't use a caliper, sorry little nellie, I am just not that anal yet. Close, but not there. Make sure that it is at least aligned along the elevator axis and the aileron axis. That way you are at least covering two of the three axis'.

toptweaks

for my f55o with naza... i use double sided tape as thin as it could be same specs as dji original 3m tape. there must be a reason for that dji supply the thin type not the foam type. foam type a bit thick and may result of the fc not that level even though see with eye its level.

so the thin is better and result also good.

as for mounting, i use steel rule to get the center point of the f550 frame then measure actual size of the naza fc then plot it on the frame. cut the thin tape and mount it. eye and measured center onto the bottom frame of the f550.