Tau Labs Mounting of OP CC boards

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Can someone point me in the right direction to the dimentions of the OP CC board. I have not searched to hard but is there some dimensions somewhere

Dave

matwelli

be very carefull when bolting it down, there is a Surface mount resistor that can get knocked, as it is fairly close if you use a socket drive to nip the nut up

jes1111

I'd be cautious of "bolting it" it all. In common with all accel/giro devices, it doesn't like vibration. So you wNt to be looking at some way of isolating it from the frame. The other aspect is that if you mount it rigidly to the fuselage and the fuselage twists (in a heavy landing, for example) then it's likely to crack the board if the coupling is too rigid.

One of the best mounting schemes is to use those little silicone rubber "posts" that are sold for mounting PC fans. Certainly it's not easy to isolate something so light - you need something that's VERY soft without letting the board flop around.

Kilby

Hey Mat,

Any chance you can get some video this weekend with the new board? I'd love to see how it's working out for you first hand, as I'm sure would others on here.

Terry

matwelli

Hey Terry, plan to shoot some in a few hours (when wife goes to play netball) and hope the rain stays away

matwelli

here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83n1UVc1ew

unedited - i crash when the wife walks up asking for the credit card, while on "rate" mode, was flying it like I do in attitude mode - not at all how i should, rate mode demands respect and finess.

As you can hear, the wind is picking up, a bit "blowy" and you can see the gains are slightly too high, and near the end theres about three launches from a 20 deg angle to show it self righting straight away.

manage to launch the go-pro as well , double side tape let go, will post some clips from that later

its a long vid, bit long as no editing
actual flying time i est to be 5 mins, used 1140 mah from th pack, and AUW with the go-pro is about 1100

Kilby

Ok, can one of you fine gents post a pic of your board mounted? I'm looking for any tips on what I need to avoid as well. I'm starting from scratch on a home built tricopter, so I won't have the pleasure of attaching to pre-existing mounts. I guess a hard mount is the way to go, or do I need some type of suspension in play?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I would have thought it would want mounting on them little rubber thingys.. 3mm male thread on one end and 3mm female on the other with a bit of rubber in the middle, think they come in 10mm and 15mm lengths

Dave

jes1111

I would have thought it would want mounting on them little rubber thingys.. 3mm male thread on one end and 3mm female on the other with a bit of rubber in the middle, think they come in 10mm and 15mm lengths

Dave
Those rubber posts are too rigid IMO. The CC board weighs so little that you need something VERY soft - like silicone gel.

Possible sources are:
- those silicone posts sold for mounting PC fans
- sorbothane (or similar) shoe insoles
- "Party Feet" silicone pads for women's shoes

Anything you can jury-rig should do the job - it doesn't take much to hold an 8g board in place.

Like any flight board that relies on accels, ANY vibration that makes it through to the board increases the noise floor and therefore decreases the performance.

Kilby

What about mounting it on a type of suspension system? I've been a DJ for about 20 years now and we used to have a suspension system that I built for turntables to keep them from skipping when everyone was jumping up and down on the dance floor. I could picture a much smaller version of that same system being used.. basically rubber bands stretched very tightly between mounting posts with the board attached to the bands. I'm sure it would have to be very stiff to keep unwanted roll out, but I don't think that would be hard to get right.

Ideas, thoughts? Anyone ever tried anything like that?

matwelli

mines hard mounted, havent had any issues (alway hard mount my boards)
rubber band suspended ones - i can almost see them amplifying the vibrations, as this board is so light.

I think a perfect system would have the CC board, the Reciever both mounted to a plate (to combine the mass), and then have the plate soft mounted.

When bolting your board down (i use 4 nylon posts) be super carefull , as there is a surface mounted resistor that can get damaged by your socket driver.

Kilby

Thanks, Mat! That was actually my second thought, to mount to a plate and then dampen the plate itself. I think that is the approach I'll take.

jes1111

Combining items onto a secondary board is a smart move - the higher the mass, the more effective your isolation is likely to be (see the attached chart).

The other potential problem with hard-mounting is that in the event of a crash, if the frame flexes under impact then that distortion may crack a hard-mounted board.

Mat - you should be able to see if vibration is reaching the board by tying your quad down and running it attached via USB to GCS - examine the "Accel Raw" trace on the Scope gadget.

Attachments

• vibration.png
    vibration.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 192

dankers

I did try very hard to design the board to be as vibration tolerant as possible, it amazes me that many other boards don't do this, seems weird to have a PCB you know is going to be in a vibration prone environment and not design to it.

I have only ever hard mounted the CC as I wanted to test it in worse cases, my props are chipped and my quad vibrates like a washing machine on a spin cycle. Flies great. You should not have many issues unless you start going to really small frames.

Of course Jeremy's information is spot on, noisy accel will mean more noise for the 3C filter to deal with but Jeremy is a perfectionist. The design of the board and the powerful 3C filter means we should be more vibration tolerant than most other boards, at least in theory.

Of course while quad controllers can get away with with poor PCB design, CC is going on helicopters as well, these are a nightmare: two rotors of different diameter causing simultaneous and variant frequency vibration and also the harmonics to deal with also. This is a good reason why there is only one other flybarless controller with self leveling support and that is serious money, it is very hard to get right.

Note also we have not tested this yet either, I am not making claims yet, we might not pull this off. I am excited how we will do in that area, but self leveling helis really sorts the men from the boys, it needs us to really have a superb PCB and the impressive 3C filter has to be as good as we all think it is. Interesting times for the project.