Motorsport shots (gopro) Team Black Sheep format.

Redmist

I'm looking at a multirotor to take some motorsport shots, more than have fun with flying (although I'm sure my opinion will change once I'm behind the controls). I like engineering solutions, and although I don't believe it's the best supported format I like the camera forward (with the front rotors out of view) and the straight body of the team black sheep machine. (although the TBS price for a rotor virgin, single team motorsport shots is a little prohibitive) I had however noted this.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crius-AIO-P...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d3e59fb and although a no name brand appears to be a good deal (in the format I like).

Wanted some opinions from the forums as to wither or not I'm being an idiot and chasing the wrong solution based on a viewpoint, or if the components of the auction are simply not what you would be chasing for my intended purpose.

Regards, Daniel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7wygri4EyI

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I have a TBS Discovery based machine that I used for a drift event. Worked good but I have a gimbal on mine as well to stabilize the shots

Redmist

TBS is a little expensive to use in the shyte that is offroad racing. But it is good to know the format works. I intended to put a brushless gimble on the no name, just wondered just about the other components.
Figured I could set the start line as home , fly it out and rth it repeatedly.

Hi Redmist, for the price advertised and assembled RTF (except no radio) you can't lose much crius is an ok FC not like naza but you could easily spend $2000 on a discovery (probably no comparison in quality and flight control/performance but...)
You won't lose much if or when you crash it depending on the value of the camera you are going to carry.
Then in the future there is the addition of FPV gear, that might cost more than the quad.
Regards - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
your gonna get what you pay for there. naza v2 vs. a crius .... tiger motors vs god knows, Alexmos vs who knows, only thing the same is the arms. When you buy a tbs, they are pretty dang refined. Some people have problems but others can just make it work out of the box. they are pricey, but your getting what you pay for

this is what a disco pro does

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyGirl

I'm looking at a multirotor to take some motorsport shots, more than have fun with flying (although I'm sure my opinion will change once I'm behind the controls). I like engineering solutions, and although I don't believe it's the best supported format I like the camera forward (with the front rotors out of view) and the straight body of the team black sheep machine. (although the TBS price for a rotor virgin, single team motorsport shots is a little prohibitive) I had however noted this.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crius-AIO-P...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d3e59fb and although a no name brand appears to be a good deal (in the format I like).

Wanted some opinions from the forums as to wither or not I'm being an idiot and chasing the wrong solution based on a viewpoint, or if the components of the auction are simply not what you would be chasing for my intended purpose.

Regards, Daniel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7wygri4EyI

I might be the only one here who knows what your forum name stands for as I have been in the Red Mist before when road racing here in the States. :) Like you, I want to video some of our races this next summer. I tried it out on a driver instruction event (track day) with some success but I was still fighting jello back then. I have to say though that the point of view from above was really cool and in some respects informative as to how some drivers were apexing (or in their case NOT apexing) the corners. One of the drivers that is an instructor at our driver school wants me to vid their race group at next years drivers school so they then can critique the students. Anyways, good luck to you!

kloner

Aerial DP
how fast are they going?,,,, this is some 800 hex and sky jib chasing street bikes in 25-40 mph wind with a servo gimbal. just put the wind at your back and go as fast as it'll go

my dads and instructor with the viper club, but there always so far away to go film, it's national.

Redmist

FlyGirl. Thanks for the luck, multirotor offers a huge change in perspective, and should produce some fantastic results.... If I manage to get a solution to function!
Kloner, I'll exceed 140 in endurance racing, but short course is a more sedate 70.
I don't intend to chase the car( except in some slow jumps or tight corners.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Awesome vids! You folks mentioned racing....something near to my heart! I am going to be crewing for my neighbor in SCCA SRF starting this winter (doing work on the car til it warms up :) )...I also track my car every now and then and love it! I use a Mobius Action Cam mounted in the car when I do runs and it is such a tremendous benefit to review my laps to see where and when I make mistakes and learn how to improve on them. It would be incredible to take a quad up and video some of the folks around the circuit to gather some much needed intel on how to improve!!!

Redmist

Hi Redmist, for the price advertised and assembled RTF (except no radio) you can't lose much crius is an ok FC not like naza but you could easily spend $2000 on a discovery (probably no comparison in quality and flight control/performance but...)
You won't lose much if or when you crash it depending on the value of the camera you are going to carry.
Then in the future there is the addition of FPV gear, that might cost more than the quad.
Regards - bruce
Bruce, thankyou very much for the advice. I'm not dullard enough to believe that I won't lawn dart whatever multirotor I purchase. I know the "no name" chassis is cheap and available, as such it's simply a matter of componentry (and if the TBS format is liked). From what I've read the Naza may give me a greater chance of recovery prior to breaking out the glue (and wallet). IT may be that I either ask the ebay seller if a Naza can be exchanged, (I'm not a great fan of the no name props either) or use this as an opportunity to simply buy a chassis and built to my requirements.
Thanks again.

kloner

Aerial DP
a $2500 discovery big boy kit will track a car doing 70 for 5 minutes.....

to just go sit in a corner you'd be better off with a nice gps controller and operate the gimbal and yaw..... something uniform and round like a normal quad, hex, octo. What your looking at is made to go fast forward flight, hovering puts a lot of stress on the back motors. They do it, but they'd rather haul butt

Redmist

your gonna get what you pay for there. naza v2 vs. a crius .... tiger motors vs god knows, Alexmos vs who knows, only thing the same is the arms. When you buy a tbs, they are pretty dang refined. Some people have problems but others can just make it work out of the box. they are pricey, but your getting what you pay for

this is what a disco pro does
Thanks Kloner. There comes a point in time where video / race budget collide. The TBS machines are beautiful, but I really wonder about placing such an investment in the hands of a multirotor virgin that is bound to end up with a negative ground proximity. It's also not going to have professional use. It'll do a few flyby's, hover in corners and perhaps a chase a car over a ramp, to generate a few youtube clips. It would be nice to have a cheap and easily replaced chassis, with components that I don't have to assign valuable race budget to (all racers are on a tight budget, the car consumes ALL!) every time they need replacement.... it is afterall a toy....chasing a bigger and more expensive toy. ;) At the same point in time there is the crossover where the multirotor just sits in the truck as it's too hard to maintain, too hard to configure, too hard to fly.... Perhaps I'm asking too much of multirotors at the moment. If they got close to the price point where they were like gopros and a throwaway device then I wouldn't have posted. I'd be sitting here with a few hovering at my feet now figuring out which of the action camera's make me look slimmest.

Cheers, Daniel.

Redmist

to just go sit in a corner you'd be better off with a nice gps controller and operate the gimbal and yaw..... something uniform and round like a normal quad, hex, octo. What your looking at is made to go fast forward flight, hovering puts a lot of stress on the back motors. They do it, but they'd rather haul butt
Now you have me interested.... Your definition of hauling butt and mine is probably a little different. As such lets quantify it. The Jimco will do 142mph (GPS), but it'll spend most of it's time around the 30-40mph. It'll jump (30+feet high) at around 60mph.
The reason I like the TBS format is it puts the rotors out of the camera view, puts the camera on the rotational roll axis of the rotor, puts the camera on what appears to be the rotational pitch axis of the rotor (from the video's I've seen acceleration appears to pitch rear high while keeping the nose reasonably stationary) ... lets not forget the cool terminator look!
I'll also pose a "newbie" question to you.... if the CG is correct why would the rear rotors be working any harder than the front?
I also realize that your use and mine are very different. I'm not considering this for professional use, or even as a hobby, it's a device that I can play with to produce some brilliant shots well beyond the budget used to traditionally get those shots (steadycam, copter, boom, crane). You note a nice GPS controller, I realize that the Naza V2 is optimal, but is there any other GPS controller, of the budget oriented persuasion, that you would recommend?

kloner

Aerial DP
your best of befriending somebody that's up into this hobby in your area and just invite them out....... the closest thing to what you just described is a phantom with a zenmeuse and that's what, $1200..... that is considered disposable.... the street bike film above is from a hexacraft 800 worth $8k and a sky jib with a canon worth about $25k..... theres nothing cheap that's good about this hobby