Aeronavics / Droidworx Motor Alignment

Fat Corgi

So talk to me about motor alignment.
Whilst most of the propellors on my XM8 are fairly close to horizontal level, there is one that is a bit off. Maybe the holes weren't drilled in the booms perfectly inline with each other. Should I just put a shim or two between the motor plate and the motor, or is there any other tricks that people have done in the past, or is it not a serious issue? Thoughts?

Mojave

So talk to me about motor alignment.
Whilst most of the propellors on my XM8 are fairly close to horizontal level, there is one that is a bit off. Maybe the holes weren't drilled in the booms perfectly inline with each other. Should I just put a shim or two between the motor plate and the motor, or is there any other tricks that people have done in the past, or is it not a serious issue? Thoughts?

That one motor is making all of the other motors compensate to maintain level steady flight. If you have some type of flight recorder (DJI iOSD of SuperX flight recorder, etc. i.e. "Black Box") you can often see that some motors are working closely together and there are some outliers when you are in steady level flight. Your XM8 will probably fly fine with out the adjustment, but you might get longer flights and your motors may run cooler.

Fat Corgi

Cool, so it needs to be corrected. Has anyone dealt with this issue on a droidworx frame before. How was it achieved?

kloner

Aerial DP
if the prop tips come anywhere close to touching you can see props not perfect cause the tips won't line up. on the inner bolts when you tighten them up it has a slight adjustment in there that you will want to set and before each and every flight where it leaves the sky and gets man handles like hanger, travel, etc you will want to stretch the arms. place one motor mount on the ground holding the craft 45 degrees to the ground and give the center plate area a push, you should hear some creaking and see the center plates flex, when you do all the arms it'll have a slight dihedral look to it...... theres a small clearance in the bolt holes that allows it to get "off"

Fat Corgi

Sorry kloner, are you saying that the inner pivot point is where a little bit of give is which may lead to the off angle? I'll loosen those and see if I can get the arm any straighter.

kloner

Aerial DP
theres a point or two in the middle and there can be a whole bunch if the outter mounts aren't in perfect registration with the motor mount pins into the holes..... if you got one way off look at the outters, if it's super minor look to the inner frame bolts