Monitor instead of goggles?

Hey all.

I'm trying to dive into the world of FPV racing. I have everything I need except for a video receiver and something to view....

Does anyone race using an lcd monitor instead of goggles? I'm debating which to get.

I like the idea of a lcd because when I'm goofing off I'll be able to keep my kids in my peripherals ;)
However... I imagine goggles is a much cooler experience!

I'm sure the day will come where I'll own both... But I have to decide which to get first due to budget (so many toys so little money).

Anyone have extremely bad experience with lcd screen?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I don't race - but I will say that the monitor was an easier transition from LOS for me. The goggles can be disorienting , at least in the beginning.

If you have any hope of keeping an eye on kids - then the monitor is the only way to go. :)

Awesome. I pretty much knew that to be the case ;). But I needed to have someone else say it to me!!!!

Thanks!! I'm going to have to order an lcd monitor now :D

janoots2

I race with Dom V2's right now, but Headplays are on the way. They are big, but awesome. It's like being in an omnimax instead of watching TV.

cootertwo

OK gotta chime in here. I have Fat Shark Attitudes, Skyzone goggles, a Black pearl monitor, Head plays, and the cheaper Hobby King 5" face monitor thing. I am 65 and my eyes aren't perfect. However, I can't reall use my Headplays for FPV. I tried all 3 lens, tried getting my reading glasses inside, no luck. Same with the cheap version from HK. It is clearer, and seems better as opposed to the 7" Haed plays, and I bought a cheap pair of skinny reading glasses that will fit with the housing on your face. BUT, I still like my Skyzones the best. Just my opinion.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Myvu was a manufacturer of video goggles but they went out of business maybe four years ago. They made a model called the 901 Universal Edition, I've got three pairs and maybe a fourth on the way. They are nice in that you can look over the video display in order to fly line of sight without constantly bobbing your head up and down like you would have to do with a monitor but they also don't give that claustrophobic feeling like Fatsharks.....Myvu is gone now but you can find their products from time to time on ebay or craigslist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyVu

Bartman

glare off your cheeks can be a problem with open goggles but the right hat or some sheet foam can fix it....who's going to be first to report on that vufine product?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Seems like it's not released until the fall. I like the idea though - since I really only use a monitor for lining up a shot.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Most likely I'll try one.... Kind of a no brainer for me.... I like to fly los and still watch a monitor for framing and exposure control.... Be cool if I could loop it through a good monitor with exposure feedback. Won't be long till we have full camera control in the air.... Price has already gone up $20 since their kick starter campaign.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Let us know how they work out.

I looked up the ones @Bartman uses, and it seems you can find them - but the older batteries can be an issue of the set has been sitting in an unopened box (not surprising).

Bartman

Let us know how they work out.

I looked up the ones @Bartman uses, and it seems you can find them - but the older batteries can be an issue of the set has been sitting in an unopened box (not surprising).

ja, i suppose older batteries could be an issue, i'll let you try mine when you come out. there's an unused pair in Texas that I could pick up cheap if you like them. another in the UK. i was buying them and then passing them along to friends at one point but I don't think either of the two sets I sent out are being used at the moment.

I've got three but they're not for sale!!! lol

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm definitely into giving them a shot. I love the idea of being able to look outside the goggles. I tried the immersive type once and it scared the sh*t out of me :)